Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Windows wound down remotely?
JonnyA

Windows wound down remotely?

Just had a knock at the door from my neighbour to tell me that all four windows were down on my Evoque. We've had a spate of petty car crime in the area recently so my initial thought was that someone had smashed them all in to try and steal something (not that there's anything really left in it).

When I got to the car I noticed that whilst all four windows were down, there was no obvious sign of damage or that anything in the car had been disturbed.

After scratching my head for a while I realised that it was possible to wind the windows down remotely by holding the unlock button my key fob for a seconds (perhaps that's common knowledge, but a feature that had passed me by all the same).

I'm now assuming that I've somehow caught the unlock button in my pocket and not realised, however I'm also aware that there are ways of getting into an Evoque (and other cars with similar systems) by replicating the car's security signals. Has anyone heard of windows being wound down like that with malicious intent, or have I just been a bit of a clumsy muppet?

Cheers!
18-05-2015 10:09pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jitenc

RE: Windows wound down remotely?

I put it down to Paranormal Activity. Smile

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
18-05-2015 11:43pm
benzina

It's a feature called Global opening. Holding the unlock button on the key fob for a few seconds will do the trick. Does not offer Global closing for safety reasons.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 19-05-2015 01:46am by benzina.)
19-05-2015 01:46am
fedup

I've twice had the same thing happen with the boot. I look out the window and there's my Evoque with the boot wide open, everything inside it available to be stolen.

I wish there was a way of disabling the remote boot open, or at least a feature that automatically closes the boot after a minute or something.
(This post was last modified: 19-05-2015 06:42am by fedup.)
19-05-2015 06:41am
benzina

(19-05-2015 06:41am)fedup Wrote:  I've twice had the same thing happen with the boot. I look out the window and there's my Evoque with the boot wide open, everything inside it available to be stolen.

I wish there was a way of disabling the remote boot open, or at least a feature that automatically closes the boot after a minute or something.

The knee can hit the remote boot open button on the dash.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
19-05-2015 07:19am
JonnyA

Hmm...mine does close again when I hold down the lock button. Not sure I fully understand the benefits of this feature - why would I want my windows down if I'm not in the car?
19-05-2015 07:42am
Wife's car

It can be changed in the setting menu if you don't want this feature
19-05-2015 07:49am
walterwindbag

(19-05-2015 07:42am)JonnyA Wrote:  Hmm...mine does close again when I hold down the lock button. Not sure I fully understand the benefits of this feature - why would I want my windows down if I'm not in the car?

So you don't have to jump into a car that has reached regulo 6 whilst sitting in the sun. You just punch the windows down for a minute to clear the temp.
BR
Walt

On order for Nov: SE Tech Coupe, 180bhp, 9 speed auto, pano roof, privacy glass, spare wheel, Auto High Beam, Rear camera, 5 year service pack, Active Driveline, Aintree Green, Almond/Espresso.
(This post was last modified: 19-05-2015 08:33am by walterwindbag.)
19-05-2015 08:32am
fedup

(19-05-2015 07:19am)benzina Wrote:  The knee can hit the remote boot open button on the dash.

Also true. That happened to me in a car park - luckily the ceiling of the car park was high enough that the boot didn't whack into it.
19-05-2015 09:01am
RacingSnake

(19-05-2015 01:46am)benzina Wrote:  Does not offer Global closing for safety reasons.
As mentioned above... mine does global closing...
I've used it on the very rare occasion (going on holiday), where I have squeezed the car into our double garage with another car and been unable to open the door.
So I climbed out the window and used global closing to lock it all up again Laughing

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
19-05-2015 10:21am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply