Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Door dents
Kentboy

Door dents

I have just found the second door dent caused by careless drivers parking next to me. I am a little surprised though as my Evoque has only done 3000 miles and is hardly ever parked where damage can happen. My other car is a 5 series BMW and is parked often in vulnerable parking slots but never picks up any door damage.

The BMW is either very lucky or the Evoque is more prone to damage.

Does the Evoque have a thinner door skin?

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
13-03-2013 02:20pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

RE: Door dents

I have yet to pick up any dents but I expect it's only a matter of time. One problem is that the Evoque is a very wide car so there is less space for doors to open. The drive to reduce weight inevitably means the door skins - which have no part to play in structural strength and safety - are made as thin as possible. The problem is especially acute at airports where spaces are really narrow and you have to get into the habit of defensive parking which invariably means parking far away from everyone else even if some idiot then comes and parks next to you.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
13-03-2013 02:58pm
PhilSkill

I have a horrible Gash in my Mazda from Birmingham airport parking, where it was used as a door stop while they forced their bags in the car next to it, Wa.kers, I got a small nick on the edge that sticks out on the dynamic, i've since fitted side steps, although these are a bit low to stop most car doors, they seem to act as a deterrent as no more so far, wont be taking my Evoque to the Airport as I kept the Mazda which is better for luggage anyway.

That edge it definitely asking to get chipped/dented though.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
13-03-2013 03:06pm
recordman

Airport parking is a right pain, especially at T5 long stay. I have a Citroen C3 Picasso for jobs like that. It's quite narrow, but even then it's difficult to find a space where you are more unlikely to get a door ding.
13-03-2013 03:41pm
mark_n

That's why I have an ageing but still fun Impreza to do the airport and supermarket runs. It wears its dents with pride.

Mark

13-03-2013 03:41pm
Donny Dog

(13-03-2013 02:20pm)Kentboy Wrote:  I have just found the second door dent caused by careless drivers parking next to me. I am a little surprised though as my Evoque has only done 3000 miles and is hardly ever parked where damage can happen. My other car is a 5 series BMW and is parked often in vulnerable parking slots but never picks up any door damage.

The BMW is either very lucky or the Evoque is more prone to damage.

Does the Evoque have a thinner door skin?

I purchased magnetic door defenders, and they are excellent at preventing dents.

(13-03-2013 02:58pm)mark_n Wrote:  I have yet to pick up any dents but I expect it's only a matter of time. One problem is that the Evoque is a very wide car so there is less space for doors to open. The drive to reduce weight inevitably means the door skins - which have no part to play in structural strength and safety - are made as thin as possible. The problem is especially acute at airports where spaces are really narrow and you have to get into the habit of defensive parking which invariably means parking far away from everyone else even if some idiot then comes and parks next to you.

My Mercedes is wider still, and has never been dented. Maybe people take more care around it? It's a good job too, as the magnetic door defenders I use on the Evoque don't work on the Merc., which has aluminium doors.
(This post was last modified: 13-03-2013 03:45pm by Donny Dog.)
13-03-2013 03:43pm
mark_n

Really, a Mercedes wider than an Evoque? Which Mercedes?

I doubt that people consciously take more care around it, what with the atmosphere of politics of envy which pervades our country. Different story in Germany where, in my experience, people show great respect for other's property.

Mark

(This post was last modified: 13-03-2013 04:13pm by mark_n.)
13-03-2013 04:11pm
Kentboy

my BMW 5 series is fairly wide but not had a dent in two cars over 4 years. I wont leave the Evoque at an airport but thats even difficult as when I took a taxi to the airport and left the previous RRS on the drive it was stolen whilst I was on holiday!

The steps on the RRS seem to keep the dents away from that and I also think that a large 4x4 keeps cars away as they think the 4x4 will be the one doing the damage.

A door dent takes the shine off the car and I just wish designers could consider that when they design the car.

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
13-03-2013 04:23pm