Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wheels / Paintwork / Gap Insurance options?
andyuk

Wheels / Paintwork / Gap Insurance options?

I wondered if anyone knew of any online companies who would be more competitive than LR dealerships for Wheels, Paintwork & Gap Insurance?

My Evoque is due to arrive in less than a month now so need to start thinking about these options. LR said they will do the Wheels & paintwork for £500 but I am guessing there will be independent companies who would be more competitive?

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks
Andy

Dynamic SD4 Manual Red with Black contrast & Panaramic Roof, Vortex Interior, 20" Alloys, Privacy Glass, Black Headlining
16-12-2011 07:48pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IKM

RE: Wheels / Paintwork / Gap Insurance options?

Andy,

My dealer quoted £399 today just for GAP insurance for 3 years.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
16-12-2011 08:54pm
Tully

(16-12-2011 07:48pm)andyuk Wrote:  I wondered if anyone knew of any online companies who would be more competitive than LR dealerships for Wheels, Paintwork & Gap Insurance?

My Evoque is due to arrive in less than a month now so need to start thinking about these options. LR said they will do the Wheels & paintwork for £500 but I am guessing there will be independent companies who would be more competitive?

Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy after a few delays and spec Change mine is due in a couple of weeks - Dynamic OG luxVery Happy. I won't need to change grills but I see you have also upgraded!

Anyway try ALA for gap insurance - around £250 for 3-4 years

http://car-paint-protection.co.uk - looks decent for detailing £240 supagard 3yr guarantee......

Tully
16-12-2011 09:06pm
Daigriff

Rang my insurance company and they provide 100% cover in first year so have not taken GAP. So if car is written off they will provide me with a new one.

I did get a quote off Kam's (?) company and it was about £160 for £25,000 cover.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
16-12-2011 09:10pm
LDT

I think Kam's company/policy will defer the start date for the first year, and then cover from the second year onwards for 3 years. Kam will no doubt confirm.

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
16-12-2011 09:36pm
andyuk

Yes I am with LR insurance & they also do the GAP cover for first 12 months so really looking at the Paintwork, Tyres & Alloys

Dynamic SD4 Manual Red with Black contrast & Panaramic Roof, Vortex Interior, 20" Alloys, Privacy Glass, Black Headlining
16-12-2011 09:39pm
cutter7

(16-12-2011 07:48pm)andyuk Wrote:  I wondered if anyone knew of any online companies who would be more competitive than LR dealerships for Wheels, Paintwork & Gap Insurance?

Thanks
Andy

http://www.car-paint-protection.co.uk/
Try these people.. i have been quoted £240 (incl VAT) for the Autoglym Lifeshine. (booked 22nd)
I also enquired about the Gap cover against my Invoice and they quoted £169.00 bases on 20k for a 36 month term.
Land Rover wanted £695.00 for exactly the same set up!! Embarrassed

16-12-2011 09:59pm
mark_n

Sorry, but it's all nonsense. You can have too much insurance. Just put the money in the bank and use it to pay for any mishaps, all your life. Occasionally, you'll lose out but most of the time, you'll be ahead.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
16-12-2011 11:47pm
Straydox

(16-12-2011 11:47pm)mark_n Wrote:  Sorry, but it's all nonsense. You can have too much insurance. Just put the money in the bank and use it to pay for any mishaps, all your life. Occasionally, you'll lose out but most of the time, you'll be ahead.

Mark is absolutely right - just like the Paint Protection thread also running GAP insurance is a profitable earner for the dealer that preys on our fear of the insurance company not coughing up for a replacement car in the 1st year or enough money to cover a replacement after that. It is 95% an irrational fear but we love that shiny new toy don't we - we are car enthusiasts and that's why we are on this site.

The principle of GAP insurance is that in most instances they won't have to pay out because the primary insurance cover will do what it is designed to do. Most GAP insurance policies just provide cover for 5, 10 and £15,000 cover (remember it is just the difference (if any) in ££££ between the primary insurance payout and the vehicle replacement cost).

Not all GAP insurance policies are equal - and many (because insurance companies won't make a profit if they have to keep paying out on claims) exclude theft of the vehicle using it's keys. Now the security systems of modern vehicles are such that theft of a car without the keys (transponder in the key fob authorises the engine management ECU to to start the engine) is both difficult and expensive - so many car thefts have a burglary attached with them too now.

If you still feel that peace of mind is required even though you will probably never, ever need it then it can be bought for less than £100 - i.e. Car2Cover site

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
(This post was last modified: 17-12-2011 12:48am by Straydox.)
17-12-2011 12:22am
IKM

Thanks Straydox, between you and Mark, you've saved me more money again!

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
17-12-2011 12:41am