Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Roof Bars without the Roof Rails
Vern

Roof Bars without the Roof Rails

Has anybody any experience with the Thule Roof Bars. Don't really want to get the LR Roof Rails fitted for the very few times I will use them. So the Thule Roof Bars kit with the 754 Foot pack and Aero Wing Bars look to be a good option and only £180 ish so great value.

http://www.roofracks.co.uk/Thule+Fit+Gui...2011_+.php

My concern is damaging the paintwork and how secure are they. Says they have soft covering but how good is it?

2014 Dynamic 5dr SD4, 9 speed Auto, Indus Silver, Pano roof, Power Tailgate, Heated Stearing Wheel (brilliant ) Spare Wheel, Etc.
Traded in my 2012 model similar spec on great deal, It's that goodWink
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 11:48pm by Vern.)
12-03-2012 11:47pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChuckieB

RE: Roof Bars without the Roof Rails

(12-03-2012 11:47pm)Vern Wrote:  Has anybody any experience with the Thule Roof Bars. Don't really want to get the LR Roof Rails fitted for the very few times I will use them. So the Thule Roof Bars kit with the 754 Foot pack and Aero Wing Bars look to be a good option and only £180 ish so great value.

My concern is damaging the paintwork and how secure are they. Says they have soft covering but how good is it?

Always a risk of damaging the car, door rubbers by putting them on and taking them off as they clamp inside the door shut. The foot is well protected but the bit that hooks inside the shut has no real protection. They'll be plenty secure with the locks included. So no real worries there!

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
12-03-2012 11:55pm
rchrdleigh

Used them on both my Freelander 2's without any problems. As stated easy to put on and take off again, less than 5 minutes.
13-03-2012 01:17pm
WB
WB

(12-03-2012 11:47pm)Vern Wrote:  Has anybody any experience with the Thule Roof Bars. Don't really want to get the LR Roof Rails fitted for the very few times I will use them. So the Thule Roof Bars kit with the 754 Foot pack and Aero Wing Bars look to be a good option and only £180 ish so great value.

I have them and they're very good so can speak from experience.

I've used them twice now and as long as you ensure the paint is clean before you attach them and that you attach them the right way around they won't damage the paintwork.

I have the new Thule aero wing bars which I'd thorougly recommend - very quiet and look good on the car.
(This post was last modified: 13-03-2012 01:56pm by WB.)
13-03-2012 01:54pm
Vern

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like decision could be made, the Aero Wing Bars and 754 Foot Pack. Save the money on the Roof Rails.

WB any issue with the metal clamp that goes inside the door shut. Do they cause issue to and Door Rubers etc?

2014 Dynamic 5dr SD4, 9 speed Auto, Indus Silver, Pano roof, Power Tailgate, Heated Stearing Wheel (brilliant ) Spare Wheel, Etc.
13-03-2012 10:55pm
WB
WB

(13-03-2012 10:55pm)Vern Wrote:  Thanks for the feedback. Looks like decision could be made, the Aero Wing Bars and 754 Foot Pack. Save the money on the Roof Rails.

WB any issue with the metal clamp that goes inside the door shut. Do they cause issue to and Door Rubers etc?

It's a good design - no issue with door rubbers.

Just be careful when putting the foot pack together as the rear pieces are different to the front ones.
13-03-2012 11:17pm
Vern

Thanks for the tip WB.

Only need to sort the towbar out now.

13-03-2012 11:25pm
richytay

hi. I have thule bars. I bought them 8 years ago when I bought a nice car, and sadly they marked the paint where the rubber foot sits on the roof. I am however a window cleaner and regularly take them off and put them back on. When I have subsequently changed my cars I simply bought new foot packs & fitting kits but they have done the same damage but because I've mainly been using cheap old cars that I bought from auctions I wasn't that bothered. I am about to buy a quality used car so I will this time be buying official ford bars as I don't want this to happen again.
01-04-2012 04:12pm