Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Uploading CDs
grelly

RE: Uploading CDs

Whilst you can't upload DTS audio cd's, ofcourse the player does support them in the slot as a result of DVD HD Audio / DTS decoding. These really do sound amazing.
28-05-2013 04:43pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jjgray

The thing that annoys me about uploading CDs is that when you insert a CD and just start listening to it, there should be a button that says "upload" and takes you to the upload screen. I hate how deep you have to go into different menus.

BUT I love the real CD-quality experience you get when you have manged it!
11-11-2013 10:24pm
Good shot

I've just ripped all my cd's on to a little USB stick, plug it in to the USB slot, set it to shuffle on Music +, and off you go......brilliant.

Last 2013 SD4 Auto, Prestige, Pano, Firenze Red. Loving the USB shuffle.
15-01-2014 02:07am
Fordste

(17-03-2012 03:30pm)Straydox Wrote:  The in-car hard disk stores just 10 CDs at original quality - so called 'lossless'. There have been numerous threads about the amount of time it takes to rip the CD's onto the internal storage/Gracenote etc so best have a search.

MP3 Wikipedia page on MP3 is a compressed music file format (i.e. not lossless), with a trade off between sound quality and data file size (the higher the bit-rate the bigger the file is). Perceived sound quality is a personal thing - I can tell the difference between a 128 and a 192 k/bit music file but bit rates above that appear to be the same (to me).

So how do you turn CDs into MP3 files? If you have a Windows PC then the newer versions of Windows Media Player (right click the top of the player and select 'Show Menu Bar' and select Tools/Options and then you will see a RIP music tab with an adjustable slider to. set the bit rate. Yiu can configure it to automatically rip CDs and specify the file save location. It will access a web based library for track names etc. You then copy the resulting folders onto a USB stick and you are in business.

The RRE will also accept an Apple Ipod and their proprietary file format (iTunes will rip your CDs for you) - personally speaking I find the Apple device's indexing system really annoying so prefer MP3 on USB. Apple claim that their format is 'Lossless' to my ears it never sounds quite right - as I said above sound quality is a personal thing.

You can also rip DVDs into DIVx format using the DIVx tools and view those via USB too. Enjoy.

Straydox, can you please explain how you rip DVD's into DIVx format. I have used DVDFab in the past but have not come across this before. What tools do you use?
15-01-2014 03:27pm
benzina

Just by chance, i found out something interesting about the uploading process of CDs on the Evoque.

Although it takes a while to upload as some have confirmed (mine takes about 20 mins per CD)....it seems it continues to upload even after accessories switches off.... you don't need to have the engine on, or even with ignition in accessories mode while you upload.
I still have to confirm if it infact continues until the CD finishes, so not sure how long it goes on for after its switched off yet, but i'll check it out.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 16-01-2014 09:34am by benzina.)
16-01-2014 07:49am
cjfp

(16-01-2014 07:49am)benzina Wrote:  Just by chance, i found out something interesting about the uploading process of CDs on the Evoque.

Although it takes a while to upload as some have confirmed (mine takes about 20 mins per CD)....it seems it continues to upload even after accessories switches off.... you don't need to have the engine on, or even with ignition in accessories mode while you upload.
I still have to confirm if it intact continues until the CD finishes, so not sure how long it goes on for after its switched off yet, but i'll check it out.

If I recall, this has been touched on somewhere and I think it is only for as long as you could listen to the radio with the car off before it shuts itself down.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
16-01-2014 08:16am
benzina

Yep, your right, it doesn't keep uploading much more before it stops altogether, but it holds position until you start up again....ah well, i just went for a long drive, and uploaded 6 CDs on the run.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
16-01-2014 09:39am