Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
USB Conundrum
jcarrot

USB Conundrum

I usually buy my music via Amazon and then download as MP3 to iPod etc, the problem arises when I download onto a USB stick to leave in the car as a backup. The USB is a Fat32 format.
3 out of 5 times everything is fine but 2 out of 5 the car audio will recognise artist and album but not tracks and comes up with the message " not compatible with player" and I then have to scroll through the same message until the end of the album to get out of it.
The mystifying part in this is that when I buy an Autorip album i.e. physical cd plus download I can rip the cd and transfer to the USB with no problem after deleting the downloaded version, so discounting what I think is called the DRM.
Any suggestions Question
03-01-2016 04:30pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fam1x

RE: USB Conundrum

I have got the same error recently not sure what the problem is if you find a solution please post.

Thanks

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
03-01-2016 08:28pm
PhilSkill

Check if the files are VBR or Variable Bit Rate, the Evoques not too good with these, Sometime just re-ripping the file as fixed bit rate will stop the problem.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2016 10:59am by PhilSkill.)
03-01-2016 10:30pm
jcarrot

(03-01-2016 10:30pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Check if the files are VBR or Variable Bit Rate, the Evoques not too good with these, Sometime just re-ripping the file will work.

No problem with ripping, it's the transfer of files between Windows and USB which causes problems.
03-01-2016 11:03pm
Doody

(03-01-2016 10:30pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Check if the files are VBR or Variable Bit Rate, the Evoques not too good with these, Sometime just re-ripping the file will work.

Really? VBR tosses a spanner in the works?

I just had my first experience tossing a USB stick at the car (been using iPod and android phone for ages) and it was a total fail. The files absolutely were VBR.

I'm kind of astonished that this would be a problem - usually wherever you buy your MP3 codecs you get VBR for free in the mix (as I understand it).

I will try that!

Thanks,
Doody

2012 Prestige Premium
04-01-2016 12:08am
wheels

Have the same problem
04-01-2016 09:46am
PhilSkill

I play .wma and .mpg usually 320Kb/s, but sometimes use the Amazon downloaded files direct. Not had any problems recently.

But I re-ripped some amazon downloads for another forum member as a test, as he was having troubles with VBR, which worked.

Last 2 Albums I've downloaded from Amazon have been fixed bit rate, although every track is a different rate by a few Kb/s.

The Evoque system (well mine anyway) seems to lock up very easily if it comes across anything it doesn't like, and not consistently too, it can get into a VBR track different amounts before locking up.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
04-01-2016 10:57am
jcarrot

(04-01-2016 10:57am)PhilSkill Wrote:  I play .wma and .mpg usually 320Kb/s, but sometimes use the Amazon downloaded files direct. Not had any problems recently.

But I re-ripped some amazon downloads for another forum member as a test, as he was having troubles with VBR, which worked.

Last 2 Albums I've downloaded from Amazon have been fixed bit rate, although every track is a different rate by a few Kb/s.

The Evoque system (well mine anyway) seems to lock up very easily if it comes across anything it doesn't like, and not consistently too, it can get into a VBR track different amounts before locking up.

Not sure what you mean by re-ripping, the only method I use for transferring files is dragging files or folders from Windows Explorer direct to USB.
Have just looked at some of the albums I have had the problem with and they look as if they are all fixed bit rate with rates between 253 and 320.
Those same files easily transfer onto iPod, iPad and Windows phone.
04-01-2016 11:21am
PhilSkill

By re-ripping, I mean re-encoding them, something seems to be able to upset the Evoque system (I have similar, will play happily on PC, through a Music system, in my Merc, but crashes the Evoque), and using something to read and re-create the file (not just copy) will then stop it crashing, I use Media Monkey (Free) which allows you to RIP (re-encode) a file to a new file, WMA is free and most reliable.

04-01-2016 11:29am
Good shot

(04-01-2016 11:21am)jcarrot Wrote:  Not sure what you mean by re-ripping, the only method I use for transferring files is dragging files or folders from Windows Explorer direct to USB.
Have just looked at some of the albums I have had the problem with and they look as if they are all fixed bit rate with rates between 253 and 320.
Those same files easily transfer onto iPod, iPad and Windows phone.

Same for me. Just drag and drop on to the USB stick from Windows Explorer - no problems.

Last 2013 SD4 Auto, Prestige, Pano, Firenze Red. Loving the USB shuffle.
04-01-2016 01:27pm