Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Buying a new Evoque - mod questions from a newbie
EvoqueNorCal

Buying a new Evoque - mod questions from a newbie

Hey guys! Going to be joining the Evoque family soon, assuming I can find a new Prestige in Baltic Blue w/Tan interior and the 20" wheels in someone's inventory here in the States (don't really want to wait 3 months by ordering one).

Been doing all my research on the different options and modifications, etc. etc. and had a few questions:

1. DYNAMIC EXHAUST
I initially wanted to get the Dynamic because I'm a BMW 3 series guy and love taking corners fast and driving quick so the adaptive dynamics was going to be a nice feature. The incredible interior on the Prestige sold me though. I decided the interior was of foremost importance since that was one of the big things that drew me to the car in the first place... seeing a picture of the tan interior on the Prestige. But going to the Prestige, I give up not only the adaptive dynamics, but also that super slick exhaust look on the Dynamic. QUESTION IS: Any way to swap the exhaust/exhaust tips/bumper on the Prestige to make it look like the exhaust on the Dynamic? What parts are involved to do that and any idea what that would total cost?

2. SEAT POSITION
Noticed in my test drive that the seat doesn't actually raise. This is probably my biggest complaint with the car (aside from the limited viability out the back window, but that can't be changed) because I need to have a super comfortable driving position to like the car I'm driving. The back of the seat can be titled up or down but you can't raise the seat height while keeping it level. Is that right? I didn't play with it too much on my test drive but that seemed to be the case. A dealer is letting me take one out for a few hours tomorrow so I'll have a lot more time with it to ensure I love it before I sign the contract. If this is right, I can't understand why a $50K USD car doesn't have this feature to raise the seat when my $25K Jeep has it that doesn't even have automatic lights! I'm 5' 8" and like to sit up high and have the steering wheel very close. I like the steering wheel only about 2" above my legs. QUESTION IS: Can the seat be manually raised? If I brought it to the dealer, could they insert spacers in between the seat and the floor mounts (or make some other modification to) raise the static seat height that way? If not the dealer, perhaps a custom car shop? I don't want to chop the thing up and spends thousands though... I just want to raise the seat a couple of inches.

3. INTERIOR LED LIGHTS
Are they worth it? On a scale from 1-10 (10 being absolutely essential and 1 being not needed), how much do you enjoy the LED lights over the OEM halogen cabin lights? Curious whether it's really worth the trouble to swap them out.

4. HEADLIGHT REFLECTOR
U.S. cars get the ugly orange side reflectors in the headlights. On my BMW 3 series I actually swapped the headlights for euro version ones when I had an accident that destroyed one of the OEM lights -- insurance company didn't care which ones I bought with their money. Don't plan on having an accident though and don't want to pay thousands for new lights. Any way to just remove the orange reflector from the headlights?

5. DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER?
I saw in a photo on a Europe spec car that you can get a digital read out of your current speed on the center dash screen. Do the US cars have that, too (and in MPH instead of KPH obviously)?

6. WINDSHIELD WIPERS POSITION
I read someone on this forum mention that you can request the dealer to adjust the position of the windshield wipers easily. Is that true? I do remember noticing that especially the passenger side wiper blade looked set pretty high! Why did LR do that? And is it easy to set it lower without compromising the coverage distance of the wiper blade when in use?

7. SOFTWARE UPDATE
I heard a new software update (Q203?) was just announced as of June 15 2012 that fixes the jerkiness at low RPMs (great news!). Anyone know what else it does or is that all? Also, do we know when LR started putting this update into the cars they make at the factory? Would be good to check the build date on the LR I end up getting to know if it has this update already or will need it.

8. STORAGE
Anywhere to store a bundle of bottles of water? In my Jeep, there's a very convenient storage in the center armrest that holds 8 (!!) 16 oz. bottles of water. I drink a lot of water so super convenient. I'm sure I'll find the answer to this question tomorrow when I get an Evoque to test drive for a few hours, but figured I'd ask.

9. WHEEL SWAP?
Know if any dealers who have the spec'd out Evoque except those 20" wheels might be willing to swap the 19" ones for the 20" and just add $2K to the MSRP? I'm assuming they won't want to do it, but anyone have info on this? I'm finding it difficult to find a Prestige in Baltic Blue with Tan interior and the Sat Radio with 20" wheels.

Promise I'll have more questions as I get to know the car better, but that's all for now.

Thanks in advance!
25-06-2012 05:53am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

RE: Buying a new Evoque - mod questions from a newbie

Life is too short to answer all your questions but... LED interior lights strictly optional, there's nowhere for that amount of water (if you're drinking that much, have you been checked for diabetes?) and the wipers can be set to a winter park position by the user to gain access to the blades without damaging the bonnet (hood) and, in cold climates, to prevent the blades freezing to the glass out of reach of the defrosting. Some have changed their Prestiges to look like a Dynamic. It can be done, it's all bolt on stuff with some paintwork but only you can judge whether the several thousand dollars of parts and labour is worth it.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
26-06-2012 05:40am
EvoqueNorCal

(26-06-2012 05:40am)mark_n Wrote:  Life is too short to answer all your questions but... LED interior lights strictly optional, there's nowhere for that amount of water (if you're drinking that much, have you been checked for diabetes?) and the wipers can be set to a winter park position by the user to gain access to the blades without damaging the bonnet (hood) and, in cold climates, to prevent the blades freezing to the glass out of reach of the defrosting. Some have changed their Prestiges to look like a Dynamic. It can be done, it's all bolt on stuff with some paintwork but only you can judge whether the several thousand dollars of parts and labour is worth it.

Thanks, Mark!

Just interested in changing the rear bumper on the Prestige to look like the exhaust, not all of the other accent pieces and front bumper, hood, etc. Only the rear bumper. Any idea if the Dynamic rear bumper comes with the exhaust tips built-in and would I just need to trim the Prestige exhaust tips and they will fit right into the Dynamic ones? Any any idea how much a Dynamic rear bumper costs?

No Diabetes. Yes, been checked. I just like my water. I drink about 1G / 4L day. Well under the 2G per day that adult kidneys can process. It's great stuff! Smile
26-06-2012 06:54am
Token

(26-06-2012 05:40am)mark_n Wrote:  Life is too short to answer all your questions but...

Laughing

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
28-06-2012 08:51am