Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tyre Grip
harveyg77

Tyre Grip

Hi,

My Evoque is running 235/60r18 Pirelli Scorpion Verde all 'something'. Basically the grip seems quite poor in damp conditions and certainly not up to the cornering capability of the Evoque.
They have about 3-4mm of tread on the front, but just seem to lack bite/grip/adhesion.

Anyone any experience of other tyre makes in the wet?

By the way, I have searched the forum for this issue, but failed to find a suitable thread, so apologies in advance if it has already been covered.

I've driven Freelander 1s (owned ~9 since 199Cool, a Freelander2, P38a RaRo, Disco2, Ranger and 2 Navaras, so aware that it is not a saloon car Wink

Thank you,
Harvey
23-05-2014 01:23pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rchrdleigh

RE: Tyre Grip

The clue I suspect lies in the 3 - 4mm tread remaining.

If you look at Alpine Countries they will not permit the use of All Weather/All Season tyres with a tread depth below 4mm. I had similar grip issues with Continental 4x4 Contacts at 3-4mm, changed them for new ones of the same type and the difference was noticeable.

Others may well be along with more views.
(This post was last modified: 23-05-2014 06:12pm by rchrdleigh.)
23-05-2014 06:12pm
harveyg77

Thank you for the reply, replacement does seem sensible. But coming into summer makes me feel I should scrub them down so as to avoid being 'wasteful'. But more importantly if there is a 'better' tyre for the Evoque on road I would rather fit that option when I change.

Hmm, will have to see.

Harvey
24-05-2014 06:36am
trevd01

My Evoke has those tyres.

At minimal wear (less than 2,000 miles) I have more grip than nerve/bravado when cornering!
25-05-2014 03:11pm
SonicTPA

(23-05-2014 01:23pm)harveyg77 Wrote:  Hi,

My Evoque is running 235/60r18 Pirelli Scorpion Verde all 'something'. Basically the grip seems quite poor in damp conditions and certainly not up to the cornering capability of the Evoque.
They have about 3-4mm of tread on the front, but just seem to lack bite/grip/adhesion.

Anyone any experience of other tyre makes in the wet?

I have exactly the same tyres and the very first time I drove in damp conditions I thought the grip wasn't very good. I ended up slipping going round a roundabout. I thought maybe it was because they were new, but going round the same roundabout over the last 8 months has always been poor in the damp.

So I'd also be interested in other tyres....
25-05-2014 07:38pm
speary

(25-05-2014 07:38pm)SonicTPA Wrote:  I have exactly the same tyres and the very first time I drove in damp conditions I thought the grip wasn't very good. I ended up slipping going round a roundabout. I thought maybe it was because they were new, but going round the same roundabout over the last 8 months has always been poor in the damp.

So I'd also be interested in other tyres....

No problems with grip here even with only 3mm left on my fronts (continentals)
If the roundabout has lots of trucks passing over it there could be some diesel failing that try slowing down a bit

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
27-05-2014 08:57am
fam1x

I have to say I've got the same tyres and have had no issues. I drive fast and never had an issue in the wet, car has always stopped when I wanted it to.

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
27-05-2014 12:00pm