Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Towbar - new options
BFGEvoqueMan

Towbar - new options

I have been looking at the net recently to see what is going on with towbars for the Evoque. The LR fixed bars are quite "cheap" and the detachable one is over priced but they both need an F***ing big hole cut in the bumper.

I have found this new offering from Witter (available fixed or detached) and the cut out is tiny (15mm high at the bottom of the bumper). The fitting instructions are here http://www.pfjones.co.uk/witter/R44.pdf . The price is also only just a bit more than the fixed swan neck LR (Thule) offering and you can get it as a detachable flange type. I spoke to Witter today and they confirm the 75kg noseweight figure is wrong, it should be 125kg and they will send me written confirmation in a few days and it does not need the bumper to be removed.

I have also spoken to Bosal who say there will be no cutting with their vertical detachable bar but won't have a price until the end of January, but will match 150kg/1800kg LR towing limits.

I will get my electrics from LR, but am now waiting until I see the Bosal product before I decide what to buy. Clearly the bosal will be invisible and the witter has bit of the housing visible at the bottom, but neither have a 15cm hole in the bumper, which the LR one does.

IMHO may I suggest it might be better to wait (if possible) until the end of Jan to buy a towbar and choose from a few more productsIdeaIdeaIdea

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
08-12-2011 02:54pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Daigriff

RE: Towbar - new options

Thanks for the info. Don't fancy my bumper being cut tbh.
I'll wait till end Jan and see what develops.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
08-12-2011 05:17pm
blacktrees1

Great Info. I will put off the purchase of my tow bar !

Just a thought though... It's great that the 3P options are minimal or no bumper cut for the bar...but doesn't the electric need a cut and therefore visible all the time?

Delivered : SD4 Prestige / LUX / 5 Door / Manual / Orkney Grey / Vibe / Privacy / Style 7 Shadow Chrome / Ordered April 2011 / Built 9th Jan / Delivered 18th Jan Smile
08-12-2011 09:54pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(08-12-2011 09:54pm)blacktrees1 Wrote:  Great Info. I will put off the purchase of my tow bar !

Just a thought though... It's great that the 3P options are minimal or no bumper cut for the bar...but doesn't the electric need a cut and therefore visible all the time?

Look at the hyperlinked thread at post 15 to see what I did on my FL2. I will do something similar on my RRE.

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-QR-Towbar...ons?page=2

You can also buy electrical socket brackets that are designed to rotate up and down so that you can fold the socket up out of the way, when the towbar is detached.

- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
09-12-2011 09:06am
blacktrees1

(09-12-2011 09:06am)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  Look at the hyperlinked thread at post 15 to see what I did on my FL2. I will do something similar on my RRE.

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-QR-Towbar...ons?page=2

You can also buy electrical socket brackets that are designed to rotate up and down so that you can fold the socket up out of the way, when the towbar is detached.

Ah Ha.... Very good idea.... That's the way forward. Thanks for the advice

Delivered : SD4 Prestige / LUX / 5 Door / Manual / Orkney Grey / Vibe / Privacy / Style 7 Shadow Chrome / Ordered April 2011 / Built 9th Jan / Delivered 18th Jan Smile
09-12-2011 09:52am
BFGEvoqueMan

To update the earlier thread:

I have just found out today that the Wetsfalia swan neck fully detachable bars will be availlable from March, but no idead of price or data.

Oh the luxury of choiceLaughingLaughing

09-12-2011 12:39pm
VirtualCamper

My new evoque, in Mauritius blueby the way, has arrived at the dealer so went to see it before collecting it on 1st March, and to answer most of your queries, it is the 5 door with panoramic roof and has the roof rails fitted by the dealer, plus a swan neck fixed tow bar and 13 pin electrics all fitted by the dealer.
Also as it is the TD4 140bhp it only has on exhaust tail pipe on the left - disappointed a bit with that Sad but it will have the added option of electric tailgateSmile
When I finally get my hands on it I'll post some pics of all the extras for you all to see.

2017 Evoque SE Tech - Kaikoura Stone - > PREVIOUSLY - 5dr Pure Mauritius blue with panoramic roof, power tailgate.
26-02-2012 09:59am
xxxx5

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
26-02-2012 04:27pm
J77

@virtualcamper- I too was disappointed with the single exhaust but I am going up to the dealers this week to get a price for retro fitting the twins.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
26-02-2012 04:38pm
Ronnie

Hello!
I'm new here and read something about evoque in this (very good) forum!

I need also a removable towbar to pull on my trailer and found this manufacturer:
http://www.gdwtowbars.com/index.php?/tre...jst/0/2338
(see last item GDW Nr.: 1889, T30).

Perhaps someone is interested ...

PS: sorry for spelling, I'm not UK Wink
20-03-2012 12:00pm