Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tearing down the interior, stereo install
Gnarlyhawk

Tearing down the interior, stereo install

Hi all. First major mod. Stereos are a thing for me. I intend to compete in the SQ (sound quality) class in IASCA competitions. I may also try for SPL (Sound Pressure/Power Level). My system will use the factory head unit so as to keep the stock look, factory nav, and the incontrol apps etc. We have removed the interior and found a few key elements.

Factory amp is located under the driver seat. We'll use the amp to provide line level inputs into a Zapco z8 processor. Factory sub is under the passenger seat. We will remove the sub, and mount the z-8 processor there. This will allow short line level runs to the processor, make it accessible and provide an easy run for the USB cable tot he processor, which will interface w/ my Surface Pro 3 for tuning.

Note: the baremetal under the seats. Rovers are very quiet. However there will be more deadening added to the sheet metal to further remove any road noise we can. Rear seat floor is also baremetal. I believe this is where most of the cabin road noise comes from. Most manufacturers cut corners with sound deadening under rear seats. RR is no exception.

I included some shots of the front stage speakers and door cards. We are using stck locations, as they are the best locations for this application. I also save a little money on fabrication, and instead put it into the gear and the sub/amp display. Speakers are Hybrid Audio Legatia L1 and L4's. The midbass will be a Sundown procomp 6.5 driver

Factory speakers

In the rear, we are going to remove the spare and mount large amps and 2 extra batteries. Sub will be suspended over the amps, in a ported enclosure. More to come on that. For now, note all the room behind the panels and when you remove the spare. I am going to use a very big sub and a very big sub amp in this build. If I wanted to keep space in the rear, I could use a smaller amp and a single 10 or 12 inch sub w/ lower power requirements, enabling the sub to be mounted on the side, keeping all the cabin space. If I weren't competing, this is what I'd do. However I want a large and powerfull sub, so...

For the sub. I'll be using a single Sundown Z v.3 15" sub, powered by a Zapco 3k watt monoblock. This level of power will require an extra battery. I'm using 2 because I can and I won't have to worry about the power affecting the electronics.

Rear pics

(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 05:09pm by Gnarlyhawk.)
08-05-2015 05:06pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bee

RE: Tearing down the interior, stereo install

exactly what I would go for. except that my missus make me turn the radio down even when its on low volume. Crying

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
08-05-2015 10:32pm
Kojak

I'll not be messing with my Evoques sound system but I like what you are doing.
On slim budgets, low level of knowledge and cars I cared less for in the past, with a little common sense I too have made significant improvements to the sound systems.

The difference is, that it looks like you know what you are doing! I'll enjoy reading this thread as you continue.
Thanks

OUT - Pure SD4, Orkney Grey, 5 dr, Manual, Fogs, Xenons, Auto dim mirror, Auto lights / wipers, Power fold mirrors, spare wheel.
IN - Dynamic SD4, Indus Silver, 5 dr, Auto, Heated Steering Wheel, Auto Dim mirror, Spare wheel.
09-05-2015 12:38pm
jitenc

Hi Gnarlyhawk,
What is the total output you require for competition level?
Would you have used the boot space to keep it simple?
Love to hear what it would sound like after it's all done. Keep it coming.

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
10-05-2015 09:46am
DVFlyer

Can't wait to see the progression. I've only seen one audio upgrade so far on an Evoque (done by Streetnoyz in San Diego, if you want to research).

I like that you're using metal framing for the rack. I used a similar mounting scheme on my 350z. I also used the Legatia speakers. Great speakers.

[Image: rackbuild6.jpg]

[Image: rackoutsidecar4.jpg]

2014 Zanzibar Pure Premium. Black roof, black wheels, black interior.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2015 02:50pm by DVFlyer.)
11-05-2015 02:43pm
Gnarlyhawk

(10-05-2015 09:46am)jitenc Wrote:  Hi Gnarlyhawk,
What is the total output you require for competition level?
Would you have used the boot space to keep it simple?
Love to hear what it would sound like after it's all done. Keep it coming.

For the SQ class, the ideal is to have an amp that can take dynamic changes really well. It's less about a watt number, and more about the amps ability to handle the spikes that come with music without any tonal distortion or coloring of the track. There are a few great amps for this, Audio Wave in the UK and Zapco in the states. For my install, I chose a 6 channel Zapco that makes a clean 150 watt per channel. Coupled w/ their z8 processor, we can digitally tune each channel without crossover. The processor allows for per channel phasing, delay, output, crossover points and you can EQ. I will use 6 speakers for the front stage and this flexibility in tuning is ideal; especially for creating a wide and balanced stage in a car.

For the sub, that's a pretty straight forward affair. I wil have a sub that can take 1750 watts RMS and I'll be using a 3k watt Zapco monoblock, class D amp. The sub is an SPL sub, so I need to over power it to get the movement & response needed for lower volume listening when doing SQ. It'll also hammer.

The sub I am using is overkill more most people and certainly not required for SQ. The thing is huge, will post pics of it later this week. If I wanted to leave more space in the rear, I would likely have gone with a cheaper an efficient sub (Rockford p2 10 or 12) in a sealed enclosure tucked into the side of the "boot", in that dimpled space. This is what I would recommend to other people who want more power but would never do something like this. There is also a lot of room under the front seats for gear too. Could get a decent amp or two under the passenger seat for the front stage.

(11-05-2015 02:43pm)DVFlyer Wrote:  Can't wait to see the progression. I've only seen one audio upgrade so far on an Evoque (done by Streetnoyz in San Diego, if you want to research).

I like that you're using metal framing for the rack. I used a similar mounting scheme on my 350z. I also used the Legatia speakers. Great speakers.

[Image: rackbuild6.jpg]

[Image: rackoutsidecar4.jpg]

Nice work. You may really like the next pics Smile

Progress is being had. I'll spare the pics of the sound deadening. I put in a lot of it, everywhere.

Power flow components.

Changed from the sundown driver to the Hybrid legatia v2 6.5 inch driver. Less power, but more responsive. Here it is compared to stock. Note - all the Hybrid speakers are essentially drop in replacements for stock. Highly recommend using any of their line as factory replacements; even if you don't add more power.

Hand crafted wiring harnesses.

Rack

Wiring started

Check out the facebook page of my friend and installer, Scott Moore at Musical Indulgence (name of his facebook page). You can also see his work on other cars and my Aston Martin. The Aston is similar to this build, only with smaller 8" subs and a 1k amp. Weight was a concern for that build Smile
(This post was last modified: 13-05-2015 02:07pm by Gnarlyhawk.)
13-05-2015 01:48pm
DVFlyer

Looking good. Are you posting on diymobileaudio too?

2014 Zanzibar Pure Premium. Black roof, black wheels, black interior.
13-05-2015 02:27pm
Gnarlyhawk

Sub next to the L6 driver in the door.

Under seat cover plate. Left is OEM that sits over the factory amp and protects it plus holds the carpet. Right was fabricated for the passenger side to do the same. We removed the factory sub for the space to mount the processor.

Mid bass and more deadening

Here's a pic of the rig too. Did custom painted factory wheels. Goodyear Wrangler Duramax tires.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 14-05-2015 04:09pm by Gnarlyhawk.)
14-05-2015 03:37pm
petrolhead

Interesting read. Maybe a bit too much for me.

Before I sold my Freelander I removed the stereo I fitted which was JL Audio 4 channel amp, Alpine mono amp with sub, BIT Ten and cleansweep. Plus some nice Hertz HSK 165XLs

I am undecided if I want to go through another install, however I may replace the front with Hertz HSK 163 or something similar

One question, I believe the Sub is a 20cm unit under the seat. Is there a better sub that would fit the enclosure. (I did this with my BMW 5 series replacing the speakers and sub with MB Quartz which made a huge difference)
19-07-2016 06:02pm
BCEvoque

I have the same question, if I leave everything stock, could I replace the stock sub with a bigger one or better one to get more low end bass.

(19-07-2016 06:02pm)petrolhead Wrote:  Interesting read. Maybe a bit too much for me.

Before I sold my Freelander I removed the stereo I fitted which was JL Audio 4 channel amp, Alpine mono amp with sub, BIT Ten and cleansweep. Plus some nice Hertz HSK 165XLs

I am undecided if I want to go through another install, however I may replace the front with Hertz HSK 163 or something similar

One question, I believe the Sub is a 20cm unit under the seat. Is there a better sub that would fit the enclosure. (I did this with my BMW 5 series replacing the speakers and sub with MB Quartz which made a huge difference)
21-07-2016 06:43am