Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tyre size for Style 6
paulelescoces

Tyre size for Style 6

Hi All, may end of being a non-issue when I finally receive my Evoque after this winters snow has gone Evil

simple question, what size of tyres will fit on the 20" style 6 rims... I understand they are shipped with 245/45/20, however there is a distinct lack of winter tyres in this size and currently they are difficult to get hold of. Is it possible to fit a slightly wider tyre on the same rim...or with a deeper/shorter sidewall... if so what are the limitations (e.g. too much deviation in sidewall will either not fit or cause speedo and maybe even gearing errors?)

Thanks,

Delivered: SD4 Prestige Auto 5 Door, Fuji White with Vibe interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Electric Tailgate, Winter Pack, Adaptive Xenons, Roofrails...
06-12-2011 12:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Straydox

RE: Tyre size for Style 6

I'd dare to suggest that you would, ideally, need to find another set of wheels in 17 or 18" size - its the rolling diameter of the fitted tyre that effects the speedo readings rather than the wheel itself.

Wider tyres are actually a disadvantage on snow - narrower tyres give better grip.....

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
06-12-2011 12:54pm
benzina

RE: Tyre size for Style 6

Good topic, but forgetting snow tyres for snow reasons for just a second, the second part of the question is an interesting one (increasing tyre sidewall height on 20inch rims,thus overall wheel diameter), so can someone with a technical background or anyone that knows, please confirm wether or not it would affect the automatic gearing, ABS ,or traction control in any way?
We know it obviously affects the speedo, and for example....if the sidewall height is increased by 15-20mm,an accurate speedo would read approximately 5% less then the actual speed being traveled.
So the question is...would this modest increase in sidewall height, create any technical running problems, in any area of the car, other then the speedo reading?

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2011 05:59am by benzina.)
07-12-2011 03:12am