Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Spare wheel
caroline11000

Spare wheel

I didn't opt to buy a spare wheel when I ordered. When I picked up the car my salesman said that sometimes after using the tyre repair system the tyre cannot be repaired and you have to buy a new tyre. Any truth to this guys?
I noticed in the boot that because I don't have a spare tyre I also do not have a wheel nut tool or a jack! I am now wondering whether to buy a spare tyre, so will it come with a wheel nut tool & jack or are they extra? Also is it more expensive to buy after sales than it would have been on the original order?

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
11-12-2011 06:22pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SINGHY

RE: Spare wheel

Sorry I can't help you with your quesiton but judging by your experience I think I'll add a spare wheel to my order. Glad to see you've got your car at last, any chance of any pictures.

Pure SD4 5 door in Orkney Grey with Tech Pack, Xenons, Pan Roof, Auto dim mirror, Gloss black Dynamic grill upgrade, Roof, sde vents and waist rail wrapped in gloss black, Front Fogs, Style 4 Alloys and Spare Wheel - Collected on 6 April.
11-12-2011 06:30pm
ytshome

I think that its £120.00 as a factory option when ordering with the car but I expect that it will be much more hassle and expensive post purchase as the underfloor space is a different shape to accomodate the wheel rather than extra storeage.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
11-12-2011 06:46pm
Straydox

(11-12-2011 06:22pm)caroline11000 Wrote:  I didn't opt to buy a spare wheel when I ordered. When I picked up the car my salesman said that sometimes after using the tyre repair system the tyre cannot be repaired and you have to buy a new tyre. Any truth to this guys?

I think the salesman was being a bit brutal - some kinds of tyre punctures are repairable, the crucial factor is not driving the car with the tyre flat as that has a tendency to wreck the sidewalls of the tyre and then the only option is replacement. But miles from home in mid-winter with a flat you will try anything won't you? Most tyre bays will charge you extra if they are replacing/repairing a tyre that has had the 'tin of goo and gas' experience as they have to clean the mess up afterwards.

Car manufacturers cite the probability of having a puncture as being so low that they go down the 'repair kit' road and add that the weight loss saves Co2 too.

Personally speaking its a belt & braces peace of mind thing - its only a space saver wheel but it will keep that corner off the road and headed for home until its fixed.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
11-12-2011 07:00pm
Evo-king

(11-12-2011 06:22pm)caroline11000 Wrote:  I didn't opt to buy a spare wheel when I ordered. When I picked up the car my salesman said that sometimes after using the tyre repair system the tyre cannot be repaired and you have to buy a new tyre. Any truth to this guys?
I noticed in the boot that because I don't have a spare tyre I also do not have a wheel nut tool or a jack! I am now wondering whether to buy a spare tyre, so will it come with a wheel nut tool & jack or are they extra? Also is it more expensive to buy after sales than it would have been on the original order?

This would more likely be down to the nature of the damage in the same way when the tyre dealer plugs the hole.

The main issue is that when you inflate the damaged tyre with the repair kit, the gunge causes problems when they come to take the tyre off. These are not run flats.

Getting a spare is an option to keep at home, and you would need to get a jack and wheel brace.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
11-12-2011 07:00pm
berlin2011

I'd imagine it will be quite expensive since you aren't merely paying the incremental cost as you would with factory build, you will be paying the full cost of spare wheel, the tools and the 'tray' that fits under the carpet. Brace yourself for £500+

Current: SD4 Dynamic Auto, 5 Door, Orkney Grey with Black Contrast Pano roof and 20" Shadow Chrome wheels. Pursuit interior. [countdown="Hand over"]15th June 2013 2:00pm[/countdown]

Gone: Si4 Prestige Auto Coupe, Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof, Element interior, Shadow Chrome 20" wheels with most of the bits & pieces loaded. [countdown="Hand over"]29th November 2011 2:00pm[/countdown]
11-12-2011 07:04pm
EVO PUNDITT

Agree with above, that's why I included the spare wheel in my spec, it's the best back up.

Pure: SD4,Manual,pan roof,electric tail gate,reversing cam,tints,xenons (finally), 19" style 4 and in orkney grey 5 door,ebony headliner,f/s/mirrors,Nov build and Dec arrived
11-12-2011 08:11pm
berlin2011

I had a quick look,
- the spare wheel covers (underfloor trim bits) are part numbers LR025381 and LR025382 and they are ± £40 each (much less than I thought actually)
- the spare wheel itself (Rim only) is part number LR028213 and is about £150
- there's the 'spare wheel carrier' (the bit you insert through the middle of the rim to tighten it in the boot) at ± £18
- the jack (part number LR028800) at just under £50
- the wheel spanner (part number LR024958 ) at £10

So that comes to just over £300 an then you need to get a tyre fitted to the Rim so probably will come in at around £400 in total.

Current: SD4 Dynamic Auto, 5 Door, Orkney Grey with Black Contrast Pano roof and 20" Shadow Chrome wheels. Pursuit interior. [countdown="Hand over"]15th June 2013 2:00pm[/countdown]

Gone: Si4 Prestige Auto Coupe, Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof, Element interior, Shadow Chrome 20" wheels with most of the bits & pieces loaded. [countdown="Hand over"]29th November 2011 2:00pm[/countdown]
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2011 08:21pm by berlin2011.)
11-12-2011 08:19pm
caroline11000

(11-12-2011 08:19pm)berlin2011 Wrote:  I had a quick look,
- the spare wheel covers (underfloor trim bits) are part numbers LR025381 and LR025382 and they are ± £40 each (much less than I thought actually)
- the spare wheel itself (Rim only) is part number LR028213 and is about £150
- there's the 'spare wheel carrier' (the bit you insert through the middle of the rim to tighten it in the boot) at ± £18
- the jack (part number LR028800) at just under £50
- the wheel spanner (part number LR024958 ) at £10

So that comes to just over £300 an then you need to get a tyre fitted to the Rim so probably will come in at around £400 in total.
thank you for taking the trouble to find out, more than I was hoping to pay, gutted I didn't think about it earlier!

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
11-12-2011 08:26pm
Malferg

Caroline,

My Spare wheel ordered as an extra with my Pure cost £120 with Vat and came with a jack, spanners and mounting bolt.
11-12-2011 08:42pm