Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Retrofitting reversing camera
m_101

RE: Retrofitting reversing camera

I agree with cjfp mine is great quality and works well in the dark too - the same cannot be said for the one on my friend's hyundai ix35 which really doesn't work well at all if it's night time.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
16-11-2013 11:50am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeroma

(16-11-2013 11:46am)cjfp Wrote:  I am surprised when people say this as the camera on mine is great quality. I do have to wipe the dirt off now and then but that's all that affects it.

Right. must say the camera in the car I test drove displayed a fantastic picture, that made me decide to order it as optionSmile

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
16-11-2013 11:53am
doug

(16-11-2013 11:09am)whatnine Wrote:  Hey Doug or can anyone else tell me if there is a better quality camera out there? I have the stock reverse camera but the quality if terrible compared to my other car. Just wondering if there is a special size or adapter the car needs? Any recommendations?

Thanks

My aftermarket (looks the same as the factory fit one) camera, isn't so good in the dark. But I've never soon a picture of the factory one at night to compare them.

As for a better quality camera, the Goggle map tracking car has the best one I've seen Very Happy

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
16-11-2013 06:59pm
whatnine

hmmm... My picture is alway so fuzzy, my 370Z was really crisp and bright at all times.
16-11-2013 07:08pm
cjfp

(16-11-2013 07:08pm)whatnine Wrote:  hmmm... My picture is alway so fuzzy, my 370Z was really crisp and bright at all times.

So, have you wiped it clean ?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
16-11-2013 07:27pm
m_101

The other thing to do might be to have a look at the lens on the camera - if there is condensation or water inside it you might get a fuzzy picture. My camera was replaced due to this and corrosion on the wiring connector - it sparked up about 8 faults due to the system getting error messages. Has been reliable ever since.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
(This post was last modified: 17-11-2013 01:58pm by m_101.)
17-11-2013 01:58pm
27kgcm

Just thought I would add my comments having retrofitted a reversing camera to my Evoque last night.

I have the tech pack with the full set of parking sensors and it is a 2013 model.

In order to make it work I have added a 'video in motion module' which brings up the reversing camera option on the screen when the parking sensors are enabled.

I purchased a Fakra to RCA lead, connected it onto the purple connector on the back of the main screen.

Ran the camera cable over the top of the glove box (there is a channel you can access when the trim for the screen is removed), down the foot well (pull back door seal and a channel will appear) under the trim and brought it out by the fuse box in the boot.

The next part was removing the trim off the boot which with some plastic levers (bought on ebay for £5.00) you can lever off the trim without damaging it (you need to remove the switch if you have a power boot) Start by levering next to the boot catch and work around, once removed, you need to undo a control box (two screws) and then you have access to the four nuts that hold the trim on where the camera fits. You need to lever the boot trim off at both ends but little effort is needed for this. I then fitted the camera and replaced the trim.

You need to run the wire through the waterproof gaiter that the number plate wires go through, this was done by removing the old tape and then incorporating the wire and replacing it with a high quality PVC tape, the gaiter seals around the tape, so it needs to be done carefully.

If you buy a wireless camera then this will save this very painful step, but I wanted to use the cable to maintain the quality of image, but if the wireless one works, then this could be done in about an hour, example of one below.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Car-R...f2b40802e)

The next part took almost half an hour to do, you need to run the cable up the rear window and bring it out through the rubber gaiter and down into the car...i used a flexible plastic rod and threaded this through first (about 3mm diameter), then I used this to pull the cable through, I had to cut the cable as the RCA plug is too wide to fit in the gaiter, my advice is to run a 4 core cable through this, once this is done you can pull off the seal strip which goes around the boot and you have access under the headlining where you can bring the cable through...there is a gap which allows the cable to fall through and feed into the area where the fuses are in the boot.

I soldered my connections and then added heat shrink and added tape over the top...I took a 12 v feed from the 12 v socket (saved breaking into a connection in the boot...interestingly my camera only required a +ve feed...I guess there must be an earth feed through the RCA...but i did not investigate.

The camera works well, I did not take any pictures, but in all it took about 3 hours to do and although it was aftermarket, the picture quality is quite good. I will try and take some photos over the next few days.

It's cost about £200.00 to do (most of that cost is for the Video in Motion, but this meant it worked perfectly with the existing setup)
13-06-2015 10:59am
Billy59

Can someone tell me how to get the wires ( 12v + video ) from the boot door, through the rubber hose and pick them up at the other side so they end up at the fuse box in the boot?
When using a plastic rod first through the rubber hose starting from the boot door, how can it be reached when it's behind the roof panel?
What steps are to be preformed, must the roof panel be pulled down a little bit or is there an other way to pick up the plastic rod?
Please advise.

Picture of the rubber hose the wires for the after market rear view camera have to be pulled through.
Question is just how?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Pure Si4 5drs, Santorini Black, Pano roof, 20 inch wheels, Black Gloss lettering, Satnav, detachable towbar and black roofrails.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2015 10:32pm by Billy59.)
12-08-2015 10:08pm
walterwindbag

27kgcm, I think that is a well written and detailed explanation of how to.... and I congratulate you for it.
Walt

On order for Nov: SE Tech Coupe, 180bhp, 9 speed auto, pano roof, privacy glass, spare wheel, Auto High Beam, Rear camera, 5 year service pack, Active Driveline, Aintree Green, Almond/Espresso.
13-08-2015 08:21am
Billy59

I managed to get a flexible rod through the rubber hose on the driver side of the boot door. Almost more then a meter. Removed the seal strip and looked under the head lining.
Wherever I looked the flexible rod was not visible. I could here it sliding over metal sheeting but whatever I did, it did not appear. Apparently it was in between two layers of metal.
I pulled it out several times and restarted. I hoped it would eventually appear somewhere on the other side. But it did not.
Might this have to do with the panoramic sunroof and the motorized inner blinds?
I must say I only disconnected the rubber hose on one side, the boot door side. This was my starting point for the flexible rod.
Suggestion to start from the rubber hose at the passenger side and guide it from there to the fusebox area?

Pure Si4 5drs, Santorini Black, Pano roof, 20 inch wheels, Black Gloss lettering, Satnav, detachable towbar and black roofrails.
16-08-2015 04:14pm