Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
Real world mpg
THEMACS

RE: Real world mpg

(19-01-2012 09:42pm)Dave_T Wrote:  Nope, not accepted.

LANDROVER claim in their advertising that the SD4 Manual will achieve 49.6mpg combined. NOT the official / Govt test.

It IS reasonable to expect it to actually do it, in exactly the same way as it's reasonable to expect it to be delivered with 4 wheels not 3 !

Listen, you can go on and on all you like, I agree about the apparent poor consumption, haven't experienced myself as the car is yet to be built, but do you really expect to get any joy from LR?? Really?? Many manufacturers vehicles don't achieve the said targets. I have a BMW 335i, official average consumption around 29MPG, do i get anywhere near that on mixed driving.. NO, I get 18-22 at best, even on a decent long run i get 27-30 at very most! Do I feel like I have been cheated so much I want to sue all and sundry.. No, of course not, EVERYONE Knows they Don't achieve those figures!

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
19-01-2012 09:54pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pureevoque

Some cars achieve em some dont, granted its a bit misleading but let's stop the moaning, would u give your evoque up because of it?
Report your real world mpg here, and set up another thread for the whining

ed4 Pure 5 Dr, Fuji, Xenons, Front Fogs, Power mirrors & tailgate, 20" Style 6. Ordered 290611 Delivered 090312
19-01-2012 10:01pm
Cedric

If mpg is a concern to you, don't buy a car like this. I doubt you'd find one with the same capabilities that does better. I didn't buy it for fuel consumption, although it would be nice if to hit the advertised target or get very close to it.
19-01-2012 10:04pm
FujiSan

Land Rover don't claim anything. When will people get it into their heads that all manufacturers do is report the results of the official test. It's the test that is at fault - it does not really represent any thing or any particular style of driving. Ferchrissake google the test and you will see. You will also find they all know the test is not considered fit for purpose, but at the moment, it's the only test they have and it's a legal requirement to submit a vehicle before they can sell it.

At best, the test serves only as a comparison. One similar type of vehicle against the other.

Go read the Q3 forum - another compact 4x4 that is not making the grade against the book values. Or most any other car... What's the common denominator?

The test!

TD4 Pure - Now a rare breed...

[Image: 131166.png]
(This post was last modified: 19-01-2012 10:15pm by FujiSan.)
19-01-2012 10:13pm
leveller

(19-01-2012 09:54pm)THEMACS Wrote:  I have a BMW 335i, official average consumption around 29MPG, do i get anywhere near that on mixed driving.. NO, I get 18-22 at best, even on a decent long run i get 27-30 at very most! Do I feel like I have been cheated so much I want to sue all and sundry.. No, of course not, EVERYONE Knows they Don't achieve those figures!

It's impossible to drive the 335i slowly though, I should know Wink

side note: although I'm in the camp of annoyed, I haven't thought to cancel my order and I refuse to monitor my fuel consumption when I get the car - I WILL be focusing on enjoying every moment I can with it. It's a full 4x4 and unfortunately we have to accept it won't match an economy drive.

5dr Evoque Dynamic Si4, OG. I love her, mostly.
(This post was last modified: 19-01-2012 10:17pm by leveller.)
19-01-2012 10:15pm
THEMACS

(19-01-2012 10:15pm)leveller Wrote:  It's impossible to drive the 335i slowly though, I should know Wink

side note: although I'm in the camp of annoyed, I haven't thought to cancel my order and I refuse to monitor my fuel consumption when I get the car - I WILL be focusing on enjoying every moment I can with it. It's a full 4x4 and unfortunately we have to accept it won't match an economy drive.

Couldn't agree with you moreVery HappyVery Happy And of course I occasionally take the 335i over 3,000 RPMWinkWink And by the way, my 335i ain't going nowhere, I love it, crap consumption or not!

For us, as long as on average it achieves at least 30MPG we will be happy with that, but I honestly think it will be mid to high 30's, as alot of people are Already Getting!!!!!!

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
(This post was last modified: 19-01-2012 10:34pm by THEMACS.)
19-01-2012 10:32pm
Mag1c_dragon

(19-01-2012 10:32pm)THEMACS Wrote:  For us, as long as on average it achieves at least 30MPG we will be happy with that, but I honestly think it will be mid to high 30's, as alot of people are Already Getting!!!!!!

I am 2000 miles in now and only achieve above 30mpg on a motorway run. Drove all the way to Scotland and back over Christmas at a steady speed and only go 30-31mpg. Commuting and town driving I am lucky to get 30 mpg. Mine is at 28.1 at the moment.

I didn't expect to achieve test figures either, but did think 30- 35 mpg would be reasonable - and I certainly am not getting that!! Am I a bit annoyed - yes. As I thought it would be a bit more economical.

Does it bother me THAT much - NO! I am just getting on with driving and loving it Smile

Ordered June 11, Built - 24th November - Delivered - 7th Dec - NO DELAYS

Fuji White SD4 Dynamic, Auto, 5 Door, Black contrast roof with Panoramic Sunroof, Vortex Interior, Shadow Alloys, Ebony Roof Liner, Surround Cameras, TPMS Very Happy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnrampton/6495208095/
19-01-2012 11:17pm
Dave_T

(19-01-2012 10:13pm)FujiSan Wrote:  Land Rover don't claim anything. When will people get it into their heads that all manufacturers do is report the results of the official test. It's the test that is at fault - it does not really represent any thing or any particular style of driving. Ferchrissake google the test and you will see. You will also find they all know the test is not considered fit for purpose, but at the moment, it's the only test they have and it's a legal requirement to submit a vehicle before they can sell it.

At best, the test serves only as a comparison. One similar type of vehicle against the other.

Go read the Q3 forum - another compact 4x4 that is not making the grade against the book values. Or most any other car... What's the common denominator?

The test!

Go and read landrovers web site. They make the claim. For convenience i quoted it a few posts back - read before you gob off!
19-01-2012 11:30pm
THEMACS

(19-01-2012 11:17pm)Mag1c_dragon Wrote:  I am 2000 miles in now and only achieve above 30mpg on a motorway run. Drove all the way to Scotland and back over Christmas at a steady speed and only go 30-31mpg. Commuting and town driving I am lucky to get 30 mpg. Mine is at 28.1 at the moment.

I didn't expect to achieve test figures either, but did think 30- 35 mpg would be reasonable - and I certainly am not getting that!! Am I a bit annoyed - yes. As I thought it would be a bit more economical.

Does it bother me THAT much - NO! I am just getting on with driving and loving it Smile

That sounds a bit low compared with some, but I note you have the indecisive auto box, hopefully the manual will be a bit better. Our car will do mainly mixed driving not too many long runs, but not many very short ones, so hoping mid 30's should be achievable , won't be engaging a barrister if it doesn't though LaughingLaughing

19-01-2012 11:45pm
Dave_T

(19-01-2012 10:01pm)pureevoque Wrote:  Some cars achieve em some dont, granted its a bit misleading but let's stop the moaning, would u give your evoque up because of it?
Report your real world mpg here, and set up another thread for the whining

I think I have posted my consumption figures, and tips for others to improve theirs, thanks.

As for "whining" I reserve the right to "whine" to my hearts content until such time as the mods cancel my membership - and given that this thread is titled "Real world mpg" I suspect that this is an entirely appropriate thread, rather than creating another one, thanks.

Would I give up my Evoque because of it?
Maybe. Waste and Inefficiency annoy me.
We have 'corporate responsibility' targets, one element of which is carbon reduction, which manifests as a need to achieve 42mpg.
Should I lie? sneak a sly gallon of fuel into the tank whilst no one is looking??
Or should I just throw the towel in and carry on driving my D3 given that theres only about 4mpg difference between them?

My approach has been to question whether it is right to accept that the car doesn't do what it's supposed to - to check whether it is set up correctly (it wasn't)
- to find out whether anything more can be done about it (apparently not!)
- to establish what claims the manufacturer made

This isn't "moaning" - it's trying to do something about it.

To progress will involve highlighting the issue to make Landrover accept that there is a problem, and do something about it.

Perhaps it would help if someone 'official' from Landrover were to post on here the parameters under which we might expect to achieve something equivalent to a combined figure out there in the real world. My view, FWIW, is that a constant 48mph cruise will yield about 50mpg in an SD4 manual. Anyone care to try it for a few hundred miles & report back Laughing
20-01-2012 12:29am