Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Petrol or Diesel
Silverspeed

Petrol or Diesel

Just looking at a new Evoque to replace my wife's current 3 year old Evoque. Currently has 2.2 Diesel and thinking might be worth going petrol this time as it may be more refined that the current car. Any thoughts positive or negative from owners on opting for a petrol engine? Thanks
10-01-2015 12:54pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

RE: Petrol or Diesel

The petrol engine is relatively unloved because of the higher fuel consumption but it's easy to lose sight of the much better performance, lower weight, lower servicing costs, quieter running and so on which the petrol offers.

Keep in mind that the power delivery of the petrol engine is different from the diesel; the petrol engine is lower torque and the extra power comes from revving the engine close to the red line which in turn requires you to use the "S" gearbox map and a determinedly planted right foot. In other words, to sample the higher performance, you have to be prepared to fight the car's tendency to change up gear too soon.

Do it right, and use the paddles, and the car has a surprising and refreshing turn of speed which allows safer overtaking and a quick get up and go from a standstill.

The penalty of course is somewhat higher fuel consumption - I get 26 - 28 from mine and I drive it hard - but you then don't have DPF filters to worry about or the possibility the existing diesels may be banned from city centres in the future.

What's certain it that if you do decide to go for diesel again, wait for the new engines. The existing ones are past their sell-by date.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
11-01-2015 12:39am
Evogirl

Have owned my Si4 since May 2014, love the car it's so much better than my previous diesel Evoque and I regularly get 33mpg from her even with some spirited driving. With petrol heading towards the pound mark you really can't go wrong.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 11:12am by Evogirl.)
11-01-2015 11:12am
Craig_d1

(11-01-2015 12:39am)mark_n Wrote:  The petrol engine is relatively unloved because of the higher fuel consumption but it's easy to lose sight of the much better performance, lower weight, lower servicing costs, quieter running and so on which the petrol offers.

Keep in mind that the power delivery of the petrol engine is different from the diesel; the petrol engine is lower torque and the extra power comes from revving the engine close to the red line which in turn requires you to use the "S" gearbox map and a determinedly planted right foot. In other words, to sample the higher performance, you have to be prepared to fight the car's tendency to change up gear too soon.

Do it right, and use the paddles, and the car has a surprising and refreshing turn of speed which allows safer overtaking and a quick get up and go from a standstill.

The penalty of course is somewhat higher fuel consumption - I get 26 - 28 from mine and I drive it hard - but you then don't have DPF filters to worry about or the possibility the existing diesels may be banned from city centres in the future.

What's certain it that if you do decide to go for diesel again, wait for the new engines. The existing ones are past their sell-by date.

flip side to that of course is that if you keep the car for less than 5 yrs, servicing will be the same as you just get the service pack. Also the Ultra low emission zone will come into effect in 2020 so you won't have to worry about it on the current car, as from sep this year all new diesels will comply with euro 6 and so will comply with the ultra low emission zone rules....keep the car over 5 years and then things change.
I agree on the point of the new engine anyway though. Launching a new car so close to the new regulation times, they should of stuck the new engine in it, or at least made it euro 6 compliant. Other manufacturers are already doing it. Reminds me of apple and they way they drip feed improvements into their phone to keep people coming back the next year to upgrade
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 11:23am by Craig_d1.)
11-01-2015 11:19am
Silverspeed

I'm pretty sure will go Petrol now. The diesel engine in her current car is pretty crude to say the least ( think its a Peug engine? ) . Are there new petrol and diesel engines in the pipeline? Thanks for all your thoughts so far.
11-01-2015 05:15pm
Jeroma

Things might be different on the other side of the big river. I must say I'm very happy with my Diesel engine and it' s torque curve.
In general maintenance costs on Diesel engines are quite lower than Petrol engines just oil and filters.
Beside the Evoque Diesel engine is an improved PSA that can be found on many continental cars from North to South.
I can cruise along at 1200 rpm ,no problem, and as I do also a lot of motorwaymiles, it but never passes below 45mpg.

Registration fee was 350 eur against almost 900 for petrol. In France it's 900 against 2000...???
The most happy Diesel moments... are at the fuel pump.. still quite a difference in Benelux and France.

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 06:27pm by Jeroma.)
11-01-2015 06:25pm
IvorRedOne

Have a read of my post here regarding fuel economy

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-You-Wont-...el-Economy
13-01-2015 11:36pm
Milky400

Just read the linked thread, nice to see that in Dubai it's still cheaper to buy petrol than water. Couldn't believe it when I was out there a few years back. Crazy.... Back to OP, diesel for me.
14-01-2015 04:36pm
Silverspeed

Thanks for all the replies . Ordered dynamic lux Si4 in Phoenix Orange with Black Pack and a few other bits. Should be a bit different from her Fuji SD4!
15-01-2015 01:30pm
PhiliusM

I have the petrol Dynamic. If you use the loud pedal too much the fuel consumption is high but it is sooo much fun to drive.

I think it's better than my 3 litre Mercedes SLK as a driving experience. OK the SLK just kept going it you planted the throttle. The Evoque just seems more responsive at lower speed.
15-01-2015 01:36pm