Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
PETROL EVOQUE
Robbo

PETROL EVOQUE

Interesting Autocar article. and oh dear those 19" wheels again, Autocar thinks they are the best choice.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/Firs...WD/258364/
(This post was last modified: 26-07-2011 10:44pm by Robbo.)
26-07-2011 10:39pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

RE: PETROL EVOQUE

(26-07-2011 10:39pm)Robbo Wrote:  Interesting Autocar article. and oh dear those 19" wheels again, Autocar thinks they are the best choice.

Are they saying that? It looks instead like they've been given a car with a mix of options which is not available to buy - the petrol engine is only available on the dynamic, the 19" wheels are an option but standard dampers are not available.

I'm not sure 20" wheels with standard dampers are going to be great, the one-size-fits-all of the standard dampers may not work across the range of what the car is expected to deal with. I certainly hope the combination of 20" wheels and adaptive dampers will give the best ride possible for that size of wheel.

Might be they are still fiddling with the petrol/20"/adaptive tuning - certainly sounds like there is work to do on the gearbox software to improve the rev matching.
27-07-2011 01:15am
Robbo

(27-07-2011 01:15am)mark_n Wrote:  
(26-07-2011 10:39pm)Robbo Wrote:  Interesting Autocar article. and oh dear those 19" wheels again, Autocar thinks they are the best choice.

Are they saying that? It looks instead like they've been given a car with a mix of options which is not available to buy - the petrol engine is only available on the dynamic, the 19" wheels are an option but standard dampers are not available.

I'm not sure 20" wheels with standard dampers are going to be great, the one-size-fits-all of the standard dampers may not work across the range of what the car is expected to deal with. I certainly hope the combination of 20" wheels and adaptive dampers will give the best ride possible for that size of wheel.

Might be they are still fiddling with the petrol/20"/adaptive tuning - certainly sounds like there is work to do on the gearbox software to improve the rev matching.

I am afraid that early adopters of the Evoque will become unwilling guinea pigs in turning a very good car into a probably great car. the car as it stands in terms of software and suspension/ wheel options will be very different in a years time. I purchased a VW Tiguan S line some while ago seduced by lovely big wheels unfortunately the wheel suspension combination did not work and I ended up getting an internal organ bashing every time I drove it. Long after the shine of a new car wears off we have to live with the choices, lets hope they are the correct ones.
27-07-2011 05:49am
mark_n

I certainly agree with you; my hope is that the magnaride dampers will be controlled by software which in theory should be upgradeable.

I've had one or two upgrades in the past on other cars which have improved their performance, most noticeably Mercedes with the brake-by-wire system (SBC) which was initially a disaster and then became just about "OK".

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 27-07-2011 08:28am by mark_n.)
27-07-2011 08:27am
doug

How many of you would have gone for the Petrol engine, if it was a option across the full range of models ?

I for one would have ordered it on my Pure. For the 0-60 in 7sec (8sec in Diesel Auto).

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
27-07-2011 02:47pm
berlin2011

(27-07-2011 02:47pm)doug Wrote:  How many of you would have gone for the Petrol engine, if it was a option across the full range of models ?

I for one would have ordered it on my Pure. For the 0-60 in 7sec (8sec in Diesel Auto).

Strange decision from LR to not make Petrol an option on all cars. In South Africa we only get Prestige and Dynamic but can have either of them with Petrol (Hence my Prestige Si4 order)

Current: SD4 Dynamic Auto, 5 Door, Orkney Grey with Black Contrast Pano roof and 20" Shadow Chrome wheels. Pursuit interior. [countdown="Hand over"]15th June 2013 2:00pm[/countdown]

Gone: Si4 Prestige Auto Coupe, Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof, Element interior, Shadow Chrome 20" wheels with most of the bits & pieces loaded. [countdown="Hand over"]29th November 2011 2:00pm[/countdown]
27-07-2011 02:59pm
SW6RR

I would have had a Prestige Si4 if it was offered here - just about.! The fuel economy vs. performance contest would have just been won by performance for me.

I think it's weird that LR haven't made petrol available for Prestige. Oh well, never mind.
27-07-2011 03:02pm
cjfp

(27-07-2011 03:02pm)SW6RR Wrote:  I think it's weird that LR haven't made petrol available for Prestige. Oh well, never mind.

That's today ! - who knows what will be on the website as available tomorrow !!

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
27-07-2011 03:03pm
pimbrokken

Well, I have have ordered the Prestige with Petrol in Holland. I cannot think of any reason why it is on sale in Holland and not in UK.... very strange
29-07-2011 12:36am
vision*R

I cannot think of any reasons why outside of the UK you only get half of the standard equipment on a Prestige. And yet it is like that!

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
29-07-2011 08:25am