Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Overseas Imports?
Cas75

Overseas Imports?

Has anyone looked into how much it would be to import from the UK?

Was just looking up Auto Trader UK and there seems to be quite a few Evoques on the market which would be considerably cheaper than buying in Oz. Is it still 5 & then 10%GST on all 4x4 imports? Working out the shipping and tax costs still makes it cheaper by my reckoning as long as you stay under the luxury cars bracket.

Has anyone else looked into this or are doing it?
23-04-2012 11:26am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiggy

RE: Overseas Imports?

I thought about it a few times but the hassle of going through the whole procedure is not motivation enough for me to save a bit of money. And then there's warranty issues (correct me if I'm wrong but UK spec cars are slightly different to AU spec cars - built for different conditions).

it would be considerably cheaper but you also have to get the car checked by LR AU or something to ensure suspension, tyres etc etc are all appropriate for AU road standards plus shipping costs, customs costs, storage costs and then take into account your cost of flying there to pay for it and organising for transport there and back - you'll end up saving $5-$7k at the most and in my opinion it doesn't seem worth all that hassle.

Lets not forget insurance costs involved in getting the car here because if you buy it from a dealer here they are responsible if the car has issues. If you buy it and the ship gets stolen by somali pirates on the way here - you're in a bit of a fix.

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
23-04-2012 01:16pm
Biker

Theoretically speaking...
At selling price of say GBP 28 000 times exchange rate of 1.5 = AUD 42 000
Above plus 5% import plus 10% GST = AUD 48 510.
Shipping it here = ???
Dealing with customs & excise = priceless.

On a side note, I'm not sure if there are any items that must be Australia certified. I once heard about safety belts that have to display the australian bureu of standards stamp of approval. Something like all motorcycle helmets must have a sticker on it. I might be wrong though.

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
23-04-2012 01:21pm
sethor

There is no way to import one into Australia unless it's under the yellow plate rules. Which is to own the car & live overseas for 12+ months and then bring it back.

Fuji White Dynamic Si4
23-04-2012 03:33pm
Capital

(23-04-2012 03:33pm)sethor Wrote:  There is no way to import one into Australia unless it's under the yellow plate rules. Which is to own the car & live overseas for 12+ months and then bring it back.

That's right Sethor

Here are the rules

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/v...y_2011.pdf

It is very restrictive and not a realistic option
23-04-2012 11:52pm
Biker

I once looked into bringing in a motorbike, but at the time I would not have been the owner for more than 12 months.
I tried reading through all the docs online, but there was no mention that I cannot bring it in. What I did find is that I had to get it "certfied" for australian use, hence going to BMW that had to endorse the specifications on the bike, even though there is zero changes to the ones they get. Whether BMW will do this was another question, so I'm not sure if JLR in Australia will be able to help you.
Also it would be considered a grey import and might affect your resale value.

24-04-2012 12:02am
Filski

Overseas Imports?

We brought our Vespa back with us. All up it cost more than if we'd sold and bought a new one here.

But it wouldn't have had the emotional attachment or riding it around London and was a very unique colour.
24-04-2012 06:34am
Biker

@ link provided by Capital:

And that is how this great country protects its bussinesses and why JLR can charge any price they like.

24-04-2012 07:02am