Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Replacing Seat Back Frame in Evoque Coupe
mstraka

Replacing Seat Back Frame in Evoque Coupe

Has anyone had a successful warranty repair on their Coupe for the following seat release problem. I purchased my USA Evoque coupe in July 2013. The front seat release handles were almost impossible to operate (allows seat backs to tilt forward for rear access.) There is a Topix page acknowledging the problem. I had the dealer do the first suggested fix – lubricate the release linkage. Wasn't a perfect fix but the handles would work with some coaxing. Now I'm back too the handles getting stuck again. The next step (according to TOPIX) if the first step doesn't work is replace the seat back frames. Has anyone had this done and were the results successful? I'm cautious having repairs done as all too often attempts to fix one problem creates others.
26-04-2014 03:23pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Replacing Seat Back Frame in Evoque Coupe

No to your question... however, if the dealers 'fix' didn't fix it, then I'd be explaining to them that I'd want a replacement under warranty. Jeez, that's what the warranty is for.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
26-04-2014 06:50pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
speary

I had mine looked at at my last service. All they did was spray some lubricant into the mechanism. Seems better now but they have got the spray all over the handle and the surrounding leather in the seat Mad

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
28-04-2014 08:12am
mstraka

(28-04-2014 08:12am)speary Wrote:  I had mine looked at at my last service. All they did was spray some lubricant into the mechanism. Seems better now but they have got the spray all over the handle and the surrounding leather in the seat Mad
As I stated above the lubricant is only a temporary fix before the problem reoccurs. My aversion to going ahead with the seat frame replacement is that many mechanics while skilled repairing mechanical components are heavy handed when it comes to the plastics and precise methods and fittings of interior parts. When a repair is done I expect it to look like no repair was ever done. When I brought my coupe in for the first repair attempt (lubricate the complete release handle mechanism, not just the handle,) the service manager mentioned that the other Evoque coupe they had in inventory had the same problem and I wasn't the only customer they had served with this problem. After the repair I had to bring it back a second time because they had left the enclosing fabric panels under the seats unattached. It appears that your repair was quickly done according to your description – externally, only at the handle attachment area and not throughout the entire release linkage inside the seat.
28-04-2014 01:33pm
speary

(28-04-2014 01:33pm)mstraka Wrote:  As I stated above the lubricant is only a temporary fix before the problem reoccurs. My aversion to going ahead with the seat frame replacement is that many mechanics while skilled repairing mechanical components are heavy handed when it comes to the plastics and precise methods and fittings of interior parts. When a repair is done I expect it to look like no repair was ever done. When I brought my coupe in for the first repair attempt (lubricate the complete release handle mechanism, not just the handle,) the service manager mentioned that the other Evoque coupe they had in inventory had the same problem and I wasn't the only customer they had served with this problem. After the repair I had to bring it back a second time because they had left the enclosing fabric panels under the seats unattached. It appears that your repair was quickly done according to your description – externally, only at the handle attachment area and not throughout the entire release linkage inside the seat.

You are right I think that they just lifted the handle and sprayed the lubricant into the gap at the top
As usual, they just do as little as possible and not very professionally if the banging of the seat back was anything to go by. My in car video picked up the sound of them slamming the seat back forwards and backwards

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
29-04-2014 01:30pm