Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Motorbility
David Cameron

Motorbility

FYI, LR phoned me to see if I was interested in their Motorbility scheme, which the dealers don't have the details at the moment.

Anyway, based on a Pure derrivative, including all the usual stuff that Motorbility covers, servicing, tyres etc, but not insurance, then your looking at £10,240 down and the mobility element of your DLA, roughly £55 per week, over 3 years.

Still works out to over £18k over that time, so it appears more prudent to purchase outright than use the Motorbility scheme. Each to their own.
17-04-2012 08:57am
Find all posts by this user
ED209

RE: Motorbility

I might hold a controversial opinion but i think if the motobility scheme is truely about mobility then the only cars that it provides should be basic spec cars to get people from a to b or cars with adaptions suited to peoples needs. I appreciate you pay more deposit if you want something flash but i totally disagree with taxpayers part funding luxury cars for people.

Abuse of the system is also widespread.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
(This post was last modified: 17-04-2012 01:48pm by ED209.)
17-04-2012 01:48pm
Donny Dog

(17-04-2012 01:48pm)ED209 Wrote:  I might hold a controversial opinion but i think if the motobility scheme is truely about mobility then the only cars that it provides should be basic spec cars to get people from a to b or cars with adaptions suited to peoples needs. I appreciate you pay more deposit if you want something flash but i totally disagree with taxpayers part funding luxury cars for people.

I used to play football with someone who drove to the matches in a Motability car!Shocked
17-04-2012 01:52pm
LDT

(17-04-2012 01:48pm)ED209 Wrote:  I might hold a controversial opinion but i think if the motobility scheme is truely about mobility then the only cars that it provides should be basic spec cars to get people from a to b or cars with adaptions suited to peoples needs. I appreciate you pay more deposit if you want something flash but i totally disagree with taxpayers part funding luxury cars for people.

+1

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
17-04-2012 02:22pm
doug

+2 Mad
should only be on basic small cars

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
17-04-2012 03:39pm
wavey.dave

It looks like the OP might be trolling, but....

Can I just ask why you hold this opinion?

BTW, tax payers don't fund any part of motability, its a charity.

(17-04-2012 03:39pm)doug Wrote:  +2 Mad
should only be on basic small cars

What about people who need big cars because of the requirements of their disability?
(This post was last modified: 17-04-2012 04:14pm by wavey.dave.)
17-04-2012 04:07pm
doug

(17-04-2012 04:07pm)wavey.dave Wrote:  Can I just ask why you hold this opinion?

BTW, tax payers don't fund any part of motorbillity, its a charity.

What about people who need big cars because of the requirements of their disability?

I wasn't thinking Fiat 500, more Ford focus. I didn't know it was a charity Embarrassed
But the whole point of motability is to get people out & about in newer cars, who without this wouldn't be able to.
But you read story's about members of a family getting a car under motorbillity to drive a aunt to the shops once a week, that for me is wrong.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
17-04-2012 04:20pm
ED209

(17-04-2012 04:07pm)wavey.dave Wrote:  It looks like the OP might be trolling, but....

Can I just ask why you hold this opinion?

BTW, tax payers don't fund any part of motability, its a charity.

So how pays the disabled person the benefits that are then given to the charity to fund cars? Sometimes basic, sometimes frivilous luxury vehicles? ........The taxpayer.

The system is widely abused, thats a 100% fact. Perhaps if the choice was limited to more basic but still perfectly adequate vehicles the abuse might decrease??

Why does someone need a range rover on motorbility? a citroen mpv would do the job 99.9% of the time.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
17-04-2012 04:27pm
wavey.dave

(17-04-2012 04:27pm)ED209 Wrote:  So how pays the disabled person the benefits that are then given to the charity to fund cars? Sometimes basic, sometimes frivilous luxury vehicles? ........The taxpayer.

The system is widely abused, thats a 100% fact. Perhaps if the choice was limited to more basic but still perfectly adequate vehicles the abuse might decrease??

Why does someone need a range rover on motorbility? a citroen mpv would do the job 99.9% of the time.

The way motability works is like this - a person qualifies for Higher Rate Mobility of the Disability Living Allowance. The fraud rate is < 5%. Motability as a charity purchase the cars from manufacturers at lease prices ex VAT, so they are cheaper. They make a range of vehicles available. Some don't cost any deposit, some cost >£10k (but that's changed recently). That money is paid by the claimant, ie, like a car deposit with a dealership, you don't get it back. Then the person sacrifices their mobility allowance of £55 (ish) per week to pay for the car. At the end of 3 years they hand the car back and start again. Some people are too disabled to drive standard spec cars so Motability will have them adapted. Different people have different requirements. Some cars on Motability actually cost more than just going out and getting them leased, but with Motability you get peace of mind, plus the servicing/insurance is included in the lease cost.

My wife is disabled, she can't drive most manuals, and struggles with most autos, because she has arthritis in her hands. The main reason I looked into the evoque is the auto gear shift. We took a car out on a test drive at the weekend, and she drove for the first time in 3 years. The joy it brought to her means I won't bat an eyelid at buying the evoque. Not everyone is as fortunate as me to be able to afford one, that's where the choice in motability is important. Don't forget, many people on motability may have wheelchairs so require larger cars, or need a more upright seating position etc.
17-04-2012 04:41pm
normangt

Motorbility

The Government have reigned this in. A maximum of £2000 advance payment is now maximum. Hence, no LR products are now available or listed on Motorbilty website.
17-04-2012 04:44pm
Thread Closed