Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
It Lasted just 2 hours !!...[GEARBOX FAULT]
Bowl

RE: It Lasted just 2 hours !!...[GEARBOX FAULT]

This could be an electrical/battery issue given the car had been sitting in your importer's showroom for a while. I had my car battery almost completely drained once, and upon several attempts to jump start the car, gearbox fault was shown on the display.

Note: the car won't even try to crank if the battery voltage is too low, so it's best to charge your battery overnight using a dedicated charger before trying to revive her again.

As for the issue about the car kept locking itself, IMO it's normal because whenever you press unlock on the key fob without opening any door, the car will relock itself after a period of time (30 seconds, I think)

By the way, I live in Bangkok, TH, let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

Evoque SD4 Coupé Dynamic, Fuji White, Santoriny Pano roof, Lux pack, RSE, style 8 wheels, along with everything else.
(This post was last modified: 22-10-2012 05:05am by Bowl.)
22-10-2012 05:04am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MattEvo

RE: It Lasted just 2 hours !!...[GEARBOX FAULT]

Many thanks Bowl...

I'd been driving the car for 2 hours - I'm not sure how a batter issue could cause it to generate the gearbox fault' (even if it is a dodge message as a result of electrics).

I'll mentioned the battery issue to the garage and see if they can top it up and have another go at starting.

Something needs to be 're-set' though, as the Rotary Gear Selector remains elevated - possibly jammed.

The car re-locking itself is understandable (and yes, it was approximately every 30 seconds to a minute).
(22-10-2012 05:04am)Bowl Wrote:  This could be an electrical/battery issue given the car had been sitting in your importer's showroom for a while. I had my car battery almost completely drained once, and upon several attempts to jump start the car, gearbox fault was shown on the display.

Note: the car won't even try to crank if the battery voltage is too low, so it's best to charge your battery overnight using a dedicated charger before trying to revive her again.

As for the issue about the car kept locking itself, IMO it's normal because whenever you press unlock on the key fob without opening any door, the car will relock itself after a period of time (30 seconds, I think)

By the way, I live in Bangkok, TH, let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

I'll ask the garage to give the battery a charge. The interior electronics appears to work (i.e. a very basic display on the drivers information console - but not much else.
I suspect that it could be possible that the Rotary Gear Selector remained jammed elevated / on as there may not have been enough battery power to retract it upon 'system failure' (gearbox fault).

When I coasted to the hard shoulder (recovery lane) the car automatically switch off (i.e. ignition died) I'd been driving for about 20mins at about 100kmh at that stage when the 'Gearbox Fault' lights came on in the Drivers Information Console (between the speedometer and rev-counter).

A combination of faults i.e. Battery / Gearbox could explain why the mechanic is having difficulty troubleshooting.

It's difficult to sit here not knowing how much effort they are putting into solving this quickly !
(This post was last modified: 22-10-2012 06:54am by MattEvo.)
22-10-2012 06:09am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply