Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I Say Tomato...
NightFox

I Say Tomato...

I was just looking through my printed Evoque brochure, and I noticed another Americanism being forced upon us by JLR. Not content with ramming the horrible marketing term "SUV" into the British English language, I notice that no longer do we drive a Range Rover Evoque, but we drive Range Rover Evoque. It's not "the quality of the Range Rover Evoque", it's "the quality of Range Rover Evoque". Sorry, but that just sounds WRONG.

Someone cleverer than me can probably say what the difference is actually called, but the only other thing I can think of in British English where talk like this is unpleasant diseases, e.g. I have malaria. I know it's petty, but it really grates on me (though not as bad as 'a £5.00 value' which I'm also starting to see in the UK). Am I alone here?

I've nothing against how our cousins from across the water speak, and am happy to embrace the natural development of language, but I hate it when Americanisms are artificially and cheaply forced into our language by marketing departments! Time for one of my pills I think.

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
18-10-2012 11:12am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: I Say Tomato...

Sorry to hear you have malaria...Laughing

No seriously, there's no excuse for poor English in marketing blurb, sadly this seems to be getting worse as more "youngsters" talk text speak, and Twitter rubbish, rather than decent English.

"the quality of Range Rover Evoque" thats poor English, shame on you LR you should be setting an example.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
18-10-2012 11:44am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply