Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Front parking sensors
pureevoque

RE: Front parking sensors

That's how I know other cars do it, they only work below a low speed, kind of not necessary when you're doing 70 - it'll to too late to hear the beeps Banging Head

ed4 Pure 5 Dr, Fuji, Xenons, Front Fogs, Power mirrors & tailgate, 20" Style 6. Ordered 290611 Delivered 090312
19-01-2012 06:26pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bwaadass

(19-01-2012 06:13pm)oraclejon Wrote:  So let me get this striaght - its set to manual when you first use the car and you have to select the magically hidden 'P' EVERY time you want to have the front sensors on?!

As I understand it, the front sensors come on automatically when you first start the car, but turn off once you first go above 10mph. To turn them back on you have to manually press "P" (even if your speed drops below 10mph they do not automatically come back on). (I think they do automatically come back on if you engage reverse first, but I rarely do this).

Other systems still seem to work ok in traffic, the audible warning only engages when you get very close to the car in front.

On another note, the RRE sensors become constant at a distance of 30cm or less. Personally I think that's a bit too far a distance, as I often prefer to park closer than that. So the beeps aren't that useful (i.e. they don't help me park any closer than I can judge from the cabin).
(This post was last modified: 20-01-2012 10:15am by bwaadass.)
20-01-2012 10:10am
DT

Had my sd4 Dynamic auto since Sept and had the same issues. You will get used to it now you know where the button is. All joking aside it would be helpful if it was in the manual.
SD4 auto Dynamic coupe
Dynamic plus pack/ privacy glass
Indus silver/ Ebony
On order same spec in hatchback due march15th
20-01-2012 02:35pm
Rootsboy

well having them on all the time at low speeds may have helped stop my first scratch across the front wheel arch today.
i was leaving a below ground car park, ironically i have been parking there to try and save my car from the usual bumps and dents it would get from parking in the street.
anyway as i was leaving up the typically narrow and not thought out well exit ramp, my girlfriend said to me "oh! that was a little close"
i thought all was fine as we did not hear or feel any knock or scrape. but when we got home we saw i nice part of the paint on the arch rubbed off and scrapes across the plastic.
because we had been moving forward to leave the carpark, the front parking system was not active, so no warning!

SD4 Prestige 5 Door Manual. Fuji White. 20" Style 6 Wheels. Vibe-Ebony Interior and Header. Panoramic Roof. AD. Privacy and Solar Attenuating Glass. Surround Camera, Heated Seats. Pollution Sensor. Rear Vents. 825W Sound and a Spare Wheel
20-01-2012 02:56pm
martinPL

(19-01-2012 12:41am)Onebigjobby Wrote:  ...... apparently LR say they dont want them on all the time as when you drive up to another car it would be annoying.

Isn't this supposed to be the entire idea of the proximity sensor - if I am too close to something I want the damn thing to beep. No matter if I am too close to a car at the red light or my garage door or an old lady at the grocery store parking lot. How about this: turn the ABS off by default as some drivers get annoyed when the brakes start pulsating while braking Rolling Eyes
23-01-2012 06:45am
mark_n

It's badly thought out. Land Rover are making assumptions about how the car is used and one size does not fit all. In my view, the front sensors should be on all the time at speeds lower than (say) 5mph with the switch to the left hand side of the screen available to switch them off until the next engine start if required.

Land Rover have this obsession with parallel parking - the parking aid, now this - and I hardly ever do it. Muuch more likely to drive into a parking space.

As Rootsboy has found and we are discussing elsewhere, the Evoque is a wide car and not all paking and road infratstructure is well suited to it. I like all the help I can get when parking this thing which is why both the parking sensors and surround camera system are very useful.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
23-01-2012 08:05am
WB
WB

(19-01-2012 12:29am)dandavis1 Wrote:  Range Rover have been crafty with the front sensors - they're activated with a very secret button that isn't mention several times in the owners manual.

If you look very, very closely and the sun is in the correct position in the sky, you'll see a button next to the touchscreen with a 'P'. This switches on the front sensors (assuming you haven't already used it to deactivate it to automatically activate it when moving below 10mph).

Don't let on though - this is top secret.

How do you "deactivate" it so the sensors come on automatically? I've just read the two pages in the manual and can't see how to do it?

I also just noticed that the illustration on page 102 of the online manual (Parking aids section) shows a 5 door evoque with the bonnet vents!
23-01-2012 11:00am