Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
Watchdog - Spare Tyre v Repair Kit
rchrdleigh

RE: Watchdog - Spare Tyre v Repair Kit

My first Freelander 2 had a space saver spare wheel which when I examined it turned out to be a full sized steel wheel fitted with a Goodyear Wrangler 236/65/17 full size tyre. It was rated to only 50mph as it was a steel wheel.
Second Freelander came with a full size spare which exactly matched to four fitted to the car and cost me £150 extra.
Evoque at work has a full sized spare that matches the ones fitted to the vehicle.

Having experienced a blow out at 70mph on the A1 which shredded the tyre I won't have a car without a spare wheel.
18-10-2012 09:50pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Urban Splash

"Evoque at work has full size spare that matches the ones fitted to the vehicle......"

Ey? Is there even any room for a full size? Mine isn't....

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
18-10-2012 09:53pm
Westy

Your right, had a look at mine and it is a space saver albeit a big one, but not the same size as the normal wheel.

I have to be honest I travel all over with work and like the feeling and confidence of knowing I have a spare in the back for use 24/7 365

Small price to pay at factory order for the inconvenience.

From memory I think I saw an early post last year suggesting that LR assist used a different product (to what's in the boot as standard) when they came to attend a stranded evoque driver with a puncture and a can of hairspray to fix it!

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
19-10-2012 09:09am
PhilSkill

(19-10-2012 09:09am)Westy Wrote:  From memory I think I saw an early post last year suggesting that LR assist used a different product (to what's in the boot as standard) when they came to attend a stranded evoque driver with a puncture and a can of hairspray to fix it!

Slime, water based easy to clean out...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
19-10-2012 09:36am
Jonathon555

When i had a blowout , i triedto use the gunk. It was useless.

I had 4 people in the car and a full boot

So even if i had a spare , where would i have put my full size broken wheel ?

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
25-10-2012 01:58pm
DaveR

Re: Watchdog - Spare Tyre v Repair Kit

Good point,
I did notice that the space saver sits on top of two thick spacers. I wonder if with those removed their is room for a full size spare. (Albeit I am pretty sure they are glued to the floor.)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
27-10-2012 08:57am
Bessiebella

Hi DaveR the spacers are not glued to the floor, they will lift out with a bit of pulling, I got a canceled order without space saver spare so I bought one, so had to take the spacers for the gunk out
27-10-2012 12:45pm
DaveR

The spacers I am refering to are two blocks about 3 to 4 inches square that the spare wheel sits on top of.
28-10-2012 08:57am
Big G

(19-10-2012 09:09am)Westy Wrote:  Your right, had a look at mine and it is a space saver albeit a big one, but not the same size as the normal wheel.

I have to be honest I travel all over with work and like the feeling and confidence of knowing I have a spare in the back for use 24/7 365

Small price to pay at factory order for the inconvenience.

From memory I think I saw an early post last year suggesting that LR assist used a different product (to what's in the boot as standard) when they came to attend a stranded evoque driver with a puncture and a can of hairspray to fix it!
https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/62913692...gallery:28

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
16-01-2013 02:06pm