Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Extreme driving day
SW6RR

Extreme driving day

So, I went on an "extreme driving day" yesterday at Longcross Proving Ground - very good fun indeed.

I drove 3 laps each in the following: Aston Martin DBS, Audi R8, Ferrari 599, Lamborgini LP640 and Ariel Atom.

Favourite was the Atom (just ridiculous) then (and I surprised myself a little, although no real idea why): R8, DBS, 599, LP640.

In particular, the LP640 was just massive and had very very heavy steering and in these (completely inexperienced when it comes to supercars) hands, it felt pretty rubbish compared to the others.

Despite it's excellent auto box, the 599 did lack something for me when compared to the manual cars. I know those gear changes are quick, but it was no substitute for the manual boxes of the other four cars.

The DBS was brilliant. Perhaps I didn't enjoy it as much as the R8 because it was the first car I drove and so the first time I had ever floored it in anything so powerful. Was so blown away (/terrified) that I don't really remember anything about it...! Having said that, I definitely preferred it to the 599 and the LP640.

Then, the R8 - what a fantastic car! Great gearbox (better than the DBS) and felt much lighter and more maneuverable (for obvious reasons, i.e. because it IS lighter). Don't have a bad thing to say about it, except perhaps that it isn't as striking as the other cars. I suppose this isn't helped by the fact that they are so common on the roads now (my cousin has one, although never been in it). They are becoming a bit like the 911 - I find them a bit dull because there are so many around, but there are that many around for good reason!

If I was buying one, I'd have the DBS - for that money I'd rather have an Aston than an Audi (although the Aston is probably a fair bit more expensive - not sure). Still, wouldn't kick an R8 out of bed and, for me, the best "car" of the day.

I say "car", because I also drove the Atom, which doesn't really qualify (you couldn't run down to the shops in it!). The acceleration in that thing is ludicrous - and the noise! Those high revs make it sound like a jet engine when you put your foot to the floor. If there are any track day enthusiasts who have some money burning a hole and have never driven the Atom, don't bother, just buy one. Now.

So, by the end of the day, I thought I was pretty slick (and even managed a score of 92/100 for the Atom laps (although I think the instructor scores given to you are pretty arbitrary!)). So, the prospect of a "hot lap" in a Radical SR3 driven by one of the pros didn't fill me with much fear. "Yeh" I thought, "he'll be a bit quicker than me, maybe a minute or so, but not much more - I was really going for it".

Oh my god - it was brilliant! I was so totally terrified that I started laughing down the first straight and couldn't stop all the way round. He was overtaking supercars at about 60mph, like they were standing still, hitting corners at over 100mph (which felt pretty fast when I was doing them at 50mph!). First time I have ever had an insight into just how bonkers you have to be to be a pro racing driver - how they keep that up for a whole race I have no idea!

Anyway, in closing, you will all be delighted to hear that the main attraction of the day was.... the Evoque! I walked back to the car park, huge grin plastered all over my face, to find the parking attendants standing next to my car... "Wow", they said, "is this yours? It's been getting all the attention you know - all these supercars laying about and all people seem to want to do is peer through the windows of this thing!".

Case closed!

Arrived (5/11/11): SD4 5-door "Presnamic" Lux Very Happy Auto, Fuji, Spirit/Tan, Style 8 20" Wheels, fully loaded (bar RSE, smoker's pack and Homelink)
28-11-2011 10:59am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
evoqueboy

RE: Extreme driving day

Nice write up as I'm a big big fan of supercars. I'm very surprised to hear your comments about the lambo and fezza although the r8 is pretty slick and probably almost had the same amount of attention as the Evoque when it was first launched. The r8 is also the more everyday car as opposed to the others you test drove. Although I have to say I'm an attention fan and it's all about the lambo, r8, Fezza, Aston and then the atom in that order!
28-11-2011 11:37am
SW6RR

I could definitely warm to the 599 - it's a great car, but that Lambo - urgh!! I did the 599 a bit of a disservice above - I marginally preferred the manual gearboxes, but that aside, the 599 was superb (and would probably have been my favourite if it had had a manual box).

Arrived (5/11/11): SD4 5-door "Presnamic" Lux Very Happy Auto, Fuji, Spirit/Tan, Style 8 20" Wheels, fully loaded (bar RSE, smoker's pack and Homelink)
28-11-2011 11:41am
SebM

Nice !!! Any pictures ?

Actually : '04 Lotus Elise Mk2 111 & '11 Land Rover Defender 90 SW RAW
28-11-2011 03:51pm
Evo-king

SW6RR. Great report by you.

Thanks for that and what fantastic timing as we are about to book one for our son, had initially thought of the FF1800 single seater, then the supercar option but will have a look for the Atom, which I think is limited to certain circuits.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
28-11-2011 06:53pm
Acwats

Was it good value? How long we're you there and how much (if you dont mind me asking)

MY16 HSE Dynamic Scotia Grey with Lunar/Ice Interior. 508's, Pano Roof, Privacy, Auto Tailgate, Heated s/wheel, spare
28-11-2011 09:55pm
SW6RR

It was a gift - but 6thgear's website should give you the price - it was called the Extreme Supercar Experience, or something like that.

Can't comment on value (I haven't checked the price), but I thought it was great, not too much waiting around - was there about 3 hours and drove 15 laps in total in 5 different cars.

28-11-2011 10:36pm
Evo-king

On the site we have chosen for our son, 4 super cars C£120, ultimate c£550.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
28-11-2011 11:27pm