Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque or (another) XF - Help!!!!
kennyh

Hi all,

I have a problem I'm really struggling with. My current (lease) car is an XF which is fantastic to drive apart from in the snow, which led me to buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee also.

My XF lease expires early next year so I'm looking at options.

So I could swap the XF for an Evoque, but I'm not sure if the difference in handling/performance will annoy me. I suppose if I get an Evoque I could ditch the Jeep also and save some money there.

So, a cry for advice for those out there who have / used to have an XF and now have an Evoque (and thus can offer more insight than a 30min test drive will allow me): Is a switch from an XF to Evoque a good one to make?

Any comments (even inflammatory ones) will be welcomed!
05-10-2011 10:27pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tash

RE: Evoque or (another) XF - Help!!!!

Recently sold my 3.0d XF luxury to order a ed4 5dr evoque as company car, only drove a sd4 auto on extend drive and you wont be disappointed.

I thought the XF was a really nice drive, the evoque to me feels more modern and fresh, wasn't much difference in performance and handling felt excellent for such a car.
05-10-2011 10:34pm
kennyh

Thanks Tash.

Any other views out there, or shall I raise an order and get it over and done with?
05-10-2011 11:07pm
Kwacka

I had the same problem as you and I'm really pleased with the Evoque. It's not as quick and a lot more diesel sounding than the XF, which always amazed me at how quiet it was, but it's more fun to drive and real head turner. It also has more turbo lag but mines a manual and doesn't suffer as much. I hope that helps.
06-10-2011 09:54am
ytshome

(05-10-2011 10:27pm)kennyh Wrote:  Hi all,

I have a problem I'm really struggling with. My current (lease) car is an XF which is fantastic to drive apart from in the snow, which led me to buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee also.

My XF lease expires early next year so I'm looking at options.

So I could swap the XF for an Evoque, but I'm not sure if the difference in handling/performance will annoy me. I suppose if I get an Evoque I could ditch the Jeep also and save some money there.

So, a cry for advice for those out there who have / used to have an XF and now have an Evoque (and thus can offer more insight than a 30min test drive will allow me): Is a switch from an XF to Evoque a good one to make?

Any comments (even inflammatory ones) will be welcomed!

Hi, I now own the SD4 Auto Prestige, having sold my 2011 model years 3.0 Diesel S Portfolio, so I'm probably in a position to give you some honest advice.

As you already know how good the XF is I won't go into detail but what I'd say is that we chose the Prestige because it most closely matched the interior quality of the Jag. That's not to say that its quite as nice as a Portfolio is put together but nor does it feel like the poor relation. Also I'd have to say that if ultimate performance and economy is your thing then I'm sure that you'll find other products out there that may suit you better.

That said, however, the Evoque makes you feel special like the Jag can't quite manage. It certainly attracts miles more attention and has as a ride that is as good as the jag and handling that would give it a run for its money. Performance too is fine, it feels punchy and smooth, although its a four cyllinder and can't match the mechanical superiority of the jags six. Whilst it's early days for me, the economy isn't great but then I do a good proportion of short trips.

I suppose the real question is whether I think its a better all around car than the jag and I'd have to say for me it is. It's lovely to drive, it's very modern and contemporary in terms of its looks and design and the big one is that Glasses guide are apparently predicting it'll be worth 70% of its retail after three years. Whilst realising you lease your car it should mean that it will work out cheaper ultimately.

The Jag is a special car and so is the Evoque but the the difference is that the Evoque makes you feel special.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
06-10-2011 10:15am
Kwacka

I would totally agree!
06-10-2011 03:14pm
kennyh

Thanks all for the replies

Had my 30mins test drive today in a SD4 Auto Prestige - very nice - good ride and reasonable performance. The next challenge I face is deciding whether a Prestige (on 19") is better than Dynamic (on 20") for overall ride/comfort; which having a too significant impact on handling??

And of course the usual question of Pure vs Prestige vs Dynamic???

Cheers
Kenny
06-10-2011 05:08pm