Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ebay Roof Rails
o3zone

Ebay Roof Rails

Does anyone have experience with the third party evoque roof rails on ebay. How do they compare to the OEM rails. Weight? Shape? Material? Would I still need to buy a separate finishing kit (my car has a panoramic roof)? Thanks!
29-08-2012 06:58am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jrowan

RE: Ebay Roof Rails

I purchased one of these roof rail and crossbars sets off ebay for $420 a few weeks ago, and couldn't be happier. The kit included all the finishing trim needed for a pano roof. I've never seen a genuine LR rail set, but after studying the LR instruction sheet and online pics, I've concluded that they're exactly the same parts. Missing from the kit were instructions (doesn't matter since the LR instructions are the same) and an alignment tool piece (that I didn't need). One other difference: it doesn't say Land Rover on the side of the crossbars, although the recessed surface for the logo is there.

Jason
San Jose, CA, USA
01-09-2012 05:32pm
o3zone

Thanks Jason. That's very interesting. I'm actually in Los Gatos so not far away. Did you do the install yourself? And did you end up getting the black or silver rails? I noticed that the black rails come with black cross bars - an option that Land Rover does not have. Would love to see a pic if you have one!

(01-09-2012 05:32pm)jrowan Wrote:  I purchased one of these roof rail and crossbars sets off ebay for $420 a few weeks ago, and couldn't be happier. The kit included all the finishing trim needed for a pano roof. I've never seen a genuine LR rail set, but after studying the LR instruction sheet and online pics, I've concluded that they're exactly the same parts. Missing from the kit were instructions (doesn't matter since the LR instructions are the same) and an alignment tool piece (that I didn't need). One other difference: it doesn't say Land Rover on the side of the crossbars, although the recessed surface for the logo is there.

Jason
San Jose, CA, USA
02-09-2012 03:20am
o3zone

Oh, one more thing. Do you have a coupe or a 5 door? I would assume the parts would be the same but the ebay people say they only have tested it on the 5 door and to wait two weeks for them to test it on the coupe.
02-09-2012 05:57pm
jrowan

Hello,
I have a 5 door and I bought the black rails, black crossbars. I did install them myself and it really wasn't hard. I'm in downtown San Jose so if you're interested in seeing them in person, send me a PM and we can set up something. Here are some pics I just took with the phone:

[Image: rail1.jpg]

[Image: rail2.jpg]

[Image: rail3.jpg]
03-09-2012 06:22pm
bly2425

Hey Jason - How long have you had those roof rails and cross bars? What do you use them mostly for? Are they noisy much?

(I'm in Redwood City actually.)

Ben
04-09-2012 11:48pm
jrowan

Hi Ben,

We've only had the car for a month and the rails for 2 weeks, and I haven't even used the cross bars yet. That will change in 3 weeks when we'll load up the canoe and head for the mountains. We might use them for skis too. There was no additional noise from the rails.

Jason
05-09-2012 06:49am
o3zone

Hey Jason, thanks for posting the pics and the offer of seeing it in person. The ebay seller suggested that I wait 2 weeks so that he can confirm that they fit on a coupe. I don't understand why they wouldn't but I will wait anyway.
05-09-2012 07:26am
ravinath

Thanks for posting these up. I was concerned at first buying them off ebay but after seeing yours, I have just place my order.

5 Door Dynamic SD4 Auto
Fuji White with Contrast Santorini Panoramic Roof
Auto Tailgate, Rear Air Con, Privacy Glass, Dynamic Plus Pack
06-09-2012 08:24am
maccacch

i thought of purchasing the rails off ebay as it was a significant saving. emailed the seller and he told me that it was only rated for 50kg load with no documentation to show that it can even carry 50kg. took the safer and more expensive OEM option.
07-09-2012 01:23pm