Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Difference between the two blacks?
Trapdoor

We are off to place our order and leave our deposit tomorrow, for our new Prestige Auto with just about every option Very Happy Interior colour is now sorted, and have decided to go for the Element Cirrus/Lunar as I was concerned that the Ambience Ivory wouldn't go with one of our colour choices (OG) ...

OG is the Mrs preference, and I do quite like it, but I think the Evoque also looks stunning in black. My problem is that I really cannot determine the (subtle?) differences between Borolo Black and Santorini Black. One classed as 'premium metallic' which implies some enhancement to the standard metallic?

I did look at the colour selection blocks at the dealership, but they are quite small and difficult to get an idea of the real car colour. Because the Prestige has the black lower body and bumpers, ideally I'd like a colour to match that best.

So, does anyone know explicitly the differences between the two blacks? I have a feeling the car will end up OG, but I want to be able to make a good, informed decision, not just a knee-jerk because I couldn't work out the best black, which is MY preference (its MY car after all, not the Mrs!)

Also, has anyone any experience of how well the black 'wears' as most cars you see in black have bad swirls and holo's in the paint due to bad washing I assume.

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
24-01-2013 09:20am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WB
WB

RE: Difference between the two blacks?

There are a lot of photos of both blacks on the forum - including some good close ups showing the red flake in Barolo - it is basically a very very dark metallic burgundy/black. The Santorini is a more traditional metallic black with flakes. I had a santorini black loan car for a month and it did show a lot of swirls. My OG car which I had for a year didn't show any real swirling in normal day light.

Here are a couple of links:

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Santorini...13-Dynamic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasbecke...otostream/
24-01-2013 03:11pm
vinny

Tells me your Mrs has better taste than you.The evoque suits the lighter colours like white or grey they show off the lines better,the black just makes the car look bulky and shapeless.All my own opinion of course!

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
24-01-2013 06:19pm
Kimv

(24-01-2013 06:19pm)vinny Wrote:  All my own opinion of course!

Indeed...

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
24-01-2013 06:32pm
Trapdoor

Mmmmm ... Thanks for the info and links WB. The photos on Flickr really DO show up what the brochure and configurator doesn't! I couldn't get the search to show up anything meaningful on the forum but possibly gave up too soon.

I initially quite liked the look of Havana, but haven't seen an Evoque in the flesh in that colour ... However I have seen an FL2 and it was pretty disgusting IMHO. My plan was for Havana and the Ambiance but what puts me off the ambiance in anything else is the 'brown' carpets and instrument panel topper which I worry won't go with the black.

Into the dealers tomorrow to sign the order, pay my deposit and then spend hours probably making the final colour choices. The options are easy ... Just put everything on it (except the rear entertainment) ... But colours .... I'm not particularly adventurous to have 'trendy' colours and certainly wouldn't have a different colour roof (although I reckon a black roof on the Fuji looks smart). I quite like the Fuji but nearly every Evoque I see around here is Fuji. My BMW 330 sport was a really deep blue and looked very classy, but not sure about the Baltic Blue.

Choices, choices! Perhaps after tomorrow I'll have a better idea and be happy with what I've decided on ... But until tomorrow......

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
24-01-2013 07:38pm