Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DPF FULL???
IvorRedOne

DPF FULL???

Anyone had a problem with the DPF Full light coming on?

I'd driven back from Brighton which was around 550 miles. The car was garaged for the next 10 days without driving it anywhere. I took the car out to my local shops (2 minute drive) then took the car out on the motorway and this is when the yellow warning light came on. I pulled over, turned the engine off and then back on again. The light remained on. I continued on my journey and after about 5 mins of driving the light went off and has remained off.

If anyone has had any issues with their DPF I would appreciate any comments on what just happened. Thanks.
05-09-2014 11:27am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CRC@LandRover

RE: DPF FULL???

(05-09-2014 11:27am)IvorRedOne Wrote:  Anyone had a problem with the DPF Full light coming on?

I'd driven back from Brighton which was around 550 miles. The car was garaged for the next 10 days without driving it anywhere. I took the car out to my local shops (2 minute drive) then took the car out on the motorway and this is when the yellow warning light came on. I pulled over, turned the engine off and then back on again. The light remained on. I continued on my journey and after about 5 mins of driving the light went off and has remained off.

If anyone has had any issues with their DPF I would appreciate any comments on what just happened. Thanks.

Hi,

The DPF amber warning light will illuminate when the DPF soot levels reach a certain point, this is generally when the vehicle has travelled a distance without being able to carry out a regen. The regen takes place when the vehicle travels at more than 40mph for over 20 minutes after reaching normal operating temperature.

It is possible that due to the short journey, the soot levels had reached just high enough to trigger the amber warning, but then by carrying out a longer distance drive, this has allowed a regeneration to take place and reduce the soot levels.

If however you do find that the light illuminates even after doing so, please visit your local Land Rover approved dealership at your earliest convenience to allow them to investigate further.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks,
Pete

Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.
05-09-2014 12:22pm
IvorRedOne

Thanks Pete for the explanation. Light hasn't come on again since but will let the dealer know just to check when it goes in for it's service in a couple of months time. Very Happy
09-09-2014 10:34pm
mighTTy-RRE

This thread has confused me....

I always thought the DPF could regenerate 2 ways:

a) The electronics injects additional fuel into the DPF to burn off the soot

b) If the car is run for long enough the DPF becomes hot enough to "self-regenerate", this would normally be a journey of over 30 mins with higher revs (i.e. sustained engine speed of over 3000rpm).

Can Pete perhaps clarify this?
10-09-2014 01:18pm
CRC@LandRover

(10-09-2014 01:18pm)mighTTy-RRE Wrote:  This thread has confused me....

I always thought the DPF could regenerate 2 ways:

a) The electronics injects additional fuel into the DPF to burn off the soot

b) If the car is run for long enough the DPF becomes hot enough to "self-regenerate", this would normally be a journey of over 30 mins with higher revs (i.e. sustained engine speed of over 3000rpm).

Can Pete perhaps clarify this?

That is correct, however under both of these, the vehicle would need to be travelling in excess of 40mph due to the temperature that is reached when carrying out the regeneration.

Generally the vehicle will carry out the regeneration procedure during the course of normal driving when the vehicle has reached normal operating temperatures and exceeds the required speed. However, should you find that the DPF warning light illuminates, it is advised to make a specific journey where you allow the vehicle to reach normal operating temperatures, then conduct a journey for 20 minutes minimum, maintaining a speed of over 40mph to clear the DPF.

Obviously vehicles being used in built up areas where the vehicle is often travelling at low speeds, you are more likely to experiencing the DPF warning light, which gives the driver the opportunity to then conduct the regeneration procedure.

Hope that has clarified it a bit more.

Many thanks,
Pete

Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.
10-09-2014 01:40pm
LaserTam

That certainly helps me to understand, always been something I have pondered. Thanks.

Born 28th June - Pure Tech 2.2 eD4 Manual in Santorini Black, Pano roof, Cirrus leather, style 6 wheels, rear camera, power mirrors, auto dim RVM
10-09-2014 07:21pm
JimWooly

Pete@Landrover Wrote:That is correct, however under both of these, the vehicle would need to be travelling in excess of 40mph due to the temperature that is reached when carrying out the regeneration.

I am still a little confused over this. I understand that the engine needs to have reached normal operating temperature but when you state 'the vehicle would need to be travelling in excess of 40mph ' in what gear would this be? Would it not be better to say what RPM needs be maintained?

I had a Audi diesel prior to the RRE and it used to perform a regen if I maintained 2000 RPM for a length of time and 2000 RPM just happened to be approximately 30MPH in 3rd gear. So I would drive in 3rd gear for a while.

[Image: 298252.png]
10-09-2014 09:57pm
mighTTy-RRE

(05-09-2014 11:27am)IvorRedOne Wrote:  Anyone had a problem with the DPF Full light coming on?

Thanks Pete for the reply, however the OP mentions a very recent 550 mile trip, which I assumed would include enough time and speed to do an automatic regeneration?
11-09-2014 08:58am
CRC@LandRover

(10-09-2014 09:57pm)JimWooly Wrote:  I am still a little confused over this. I understand that the engine needs to have reached normal operating temperature but when you state 'the vehicle would need to be travelling in excess of 40mph ' in what gear would this be? Would it not be better to say what RPM needs be maintained?

I had a Audi diesel prior to the RRE and it used to perform a regen if I maintained 2000 RPM for a length of time and 2000 RPM just happened to be approximately 30MPH in 3rd gear. So I would drive in 3rd gear for a while.

The speed is mentioned and quoted as it is relation to the air flow across the vehicle which allows the regeneration to be carried out at the high temperatures in a safe environment. We specify a speed as due to the range of speeds in various gears, as well as driving styles, it makes it a clearer indication plus drivers tend to feel more comfortable monitoring their speed than any other condition.

(11-09-2014 08:58am)mighTTy-RRE Wrote:  Thanks Pete for the reply, however the OP mentions a very recent 550 mile trip, which I assumed would include enough time and speed to do an automatic regeneration?

I agree that under normal circumstances this should have carried out a regeneration and the soot levels should be suitably low to prevent a DPF warning. However without knowing the specifics of traffic, speeds or having the vehicle investigated I would not like to make any assumptions. In these circumstances I would always advise having the vehicle inspected at a dealership to ensure everything is operating as intended.

Many thanks,
Pete

11-09-2014 11:36am
Steve D

Hmm. I'm currently thinking of getting an Evoque but as we only do short journeys, the DPF issue is worrying me. A few years ago (2009) we bought a brand new TDI Golf and every now and then the car would auto regenerate presumably because of the short journeys we undertook. However, the Golf did it at low speeds and the regen continued even after the car was switched off - you knew when it was doing it as the cooling fan kept running when you locked and left the car plus you could smell the raw diesel being burnt.

If we go ahead with an Evoque purchase, how often will we need to take it out for a proper blast to clear the DPF out? Are there any short journey town users on here that could give me an idea? We will probably average 6-8,000 miles per year in it. Thanks.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
06-08-2015 06:48am