Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Crunching noise
M.I.B

Crunching noise

Hi All, I have a Prestige 2.2 diesel manual SD4 and done just over 1500 miles.
Love the car but occasionally when I pull up and manoeuvre backwards & forwards I get a loud crunch (when coming to a stop,and when pulling forward a little) which appears to come for the front.
The sound is like you have just run over a plastic bottle and last for the same duration, had it about 20 + times now and it happens just as you come to a stop.
Also you can feel some resistance like the brakes sticking on
During normal driving there isn't a sound, just after a journey and you're lining up to reverse into a garage or space.
Went back to dealer, but as per normal could not get it to make this noise

Anyone else had a similar problem?
29-11-2011 06:34pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
defender_uk

RE: Crunching noise

sounds like the EB somehow.....

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
29-11-2011 06:35pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
richardk

(29-11-2011 06:34pm)M.I.B Wrote:  Hi All, I have a Prestige 2.2 diesel manual SD4 and done just over 1500 miles.
Love the car but occasionally when I pull up and manoeuvre backwards & forwards I get a loud crunch (when coming to a stop,and when pulling forward a little) which appears to come for the front.
The sound is like you have just run over a plastic bottle and last for the same duration, had it about 20 + times now and it happens just as you come to a stop.
Also you can feel some resistance like the brakes sticking on
During normal driving there isn't a sound, just after a journey and you're lining up to reverse into a garage or space.
Went back to dealer, but as per normal could not get it to make this noise

Anyone else had a similar problem?

Ditto, exactly the same (also an sd4 manual)
29-11-2011 10:52pm
PhilSkill

From your description certainly sounds like the Brakes are taking a moment to release, is the Electronic brake on whenever this happens?

Not heard this from my SD4 Manual.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
29-11-2011 11:02pm
CRC@LandRover

M.I.B,

I'm sorry to hear about the noise you're describing and that it's not something that could be replicated when you visited the dealership.

If you take it back to the dealership in the future and need any assistance please let me know.

Kind Regards

Nick

Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.
30-11-2011 03:02pm
griff

I was once told by a LR experience guy at Luton to make an allowance for the EB to release before belting off. Into drive and small throttle movement. Might work?

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
30-11-2011 03:11pm
oop north

When I had a D3, the service manager (who I got to know too well due to the issues I had, grrr) told me that the D3 EPB problems were to some extent arising because people were setting off too quickly, not allowing enough time for it to disengage fully
30-11-2011 05:00pm
doug

(30-11-2011 05:00pm)oop north Wrote:  When I had a D3, the service manager (who I got to know too well due to the issues I had, grrr) told me that the D3 EPB problems were to some extent arising because people were setting off too quickly, not allowing enough time for it to disengage fully

My D3 was the same. Used the manual switch before driving off to stop any problems.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
30-11-2011 06:31pm
Evoqess

If its the noise when you are applying the brake (foot) and changing gear (say from D to R) it happened in my 2011 Audi intermittently too. Felt it was related to the tranny or brakes.

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
30-11-2011 06:48pm
M.I.B

(29-11-2011 11:02pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  From your description certainly sounds like the Brakes are taking a moment to release, is the Electronic brake on whenever this happens?

Not heard this from my SD4 Manual.

This is under normal driving after only applying the foot brake to come to a rest,( no EB applied ) then reversing onto the drive or parking the vehicle, if i then drive forward i get the same noise, but with most problems its very intermittent.
30-11-2011 08:00pm