Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cobra Tracking systems
LDT

RE: Cobra Tracking systems

I have this on my current car, but have had it so long I cannot recall details of the insurance benefits, but I definitely receive a reduction in premium. In any event, on that particular car, a then revamped SLK in short supply at the time, my insurers insisted upon it.

My main reason for purchasing in 2004 was for the sat nav aspect, which I still use - I have transferred it to other vehicles. It is basically a concierge system - press a button, you speak to someone at a call centre who finds the postcode for you if you do not have it, and sends the route to you vehicle. A direction screen is available but I did not get this. I opted to activate the tracker system when I realised that it is all done within one unit.

I had the misfortune of finding out if it worked after being involved in an accident in a previous car - within 3 minutes of the car being taken onto the recovery vehicle, I received a call to say that my car had been moved without the key. I was impressed!

I will be moving the unit to my RRE when it arrives, but activating only the tracker as sat nav is standard on the Prestige. I have looked at other systems in the last few weeks, but after speaking to the installation engineer who supplies many different systems, have decided to stick with Trafficmaster as it worked as above, and also he tells me that the unit is very reliable and he has not had to replace a single unit in 10 or so years. I pay about £80 all in each time the unit is transferred from one car to another.

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
21-11-2011 09:46pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evo-king

(21-11-2011 09:46pm)LDT Wrote:  I have this on my current car, but have had it so long I cannot recall details of the insurance benefits, but I definitely receive a reduction in premium. In any event, on that particular car, a then revamped SLK in short supply at the time, my insurers insisted upon it.

My main reason for purchasing in 2004 was for the sat nav aspect, which I still use - I have transferred it to other vehicles. It is basically a concierge system - press a button, you speak to someone at a call centre who finds the postcode for you if you do not have it, and sends the route to you vehicle. A direction screen is available but I did not get this. I opted to activate the tracker system when I realised that it is all done within one unit.

I had the misfortune of finding out if it worked after being involved in an accident in a previous car - within 3 minutes of the car being taken onto the recovery vehicle, I received a call to say that my car had been moved without the key. I was impressed!

I will be moving the unit to my RRE when it arrives, but activating only the tracker as sat nav is standard on the Prestige. I have looked at other systems in the last few weeks, but after speaking to the installation engineer who supplies many different systems, have decided to stick with Trafficmaster as it worked as above, and also he tells me that the unit is very reliable and he has not had to replace a single unit in 10 or so years. I pay about £80 all in each time the unit is transferred from one car to another.

Linda, thanks for that. Definitely worth considering.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
21-11-2011 09:51pm
Mag1c_dragon

(21-11-2011 09:25pm)Evo-king Wrote:  Are the any insurance benefits with this?

Well the insurance for my brand new RRE is £50 less than my 6 year old C Class - so yes!

This one appears to be the Land Rover approved one (well from my research anyway) and gets good reviews.

Ordered June 11, Built - 24th November - Delivered - 7th Dec - NO DELAYS

Fuji White SD4 Dynamic, Auto, 5 Door, Black contrast roof with Panoramic Sunroof, Vortex Interior, Shadow Alloys, Ebony Roof Liner, Surround Cameras, TPMS Very Happy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnrampton/6495208095/
21-11-2011 10:01pm
tetstb

Don't waste your money on the Traffic Master system because its garbage and it has been responsible for 3 flat batteries as it sometimes refuses to stop sucking the life out of the battery. Even worse, the call centre are terrible and EVERYTHING is chargeable even resets after IT drained my battery. Ive had the unit replaced because the installer was too lazy to hide it first time round.

I did not renew my subscription and would recommend Smart Trak instead as we had that installed in out E-Class , its cheaper and less of a burden.

Cheers

Bob

SD4 Auto Dynamic OG , Verve, Panoramic Roof, Chrome Shadow, 825w audio, Park Assist, Privacy Glass.

[Image: 123130.png]
24-12-2013 08:56pm
flibberflops

(21-11-2011 01:42pm)QueJumper Wrote:  Why worry about it unless your insurance company specifies you must have one which I thought was unlikely on sub50k cars?

Not actually true. Its also based on your location. I have a performance car in the region of £25k. and due to my location (central B'ham) some insurance companies demand a tracker.

I am always amazed when people drive around in a £30 - £40k car and not get concerned about none recoverable theft. The Evoque (and 4 wheel drive cars in general) are very high on the shopping list for Eastern Europe. Yeah, OK your insured and they will pay out the Money. However, a big payout like that will haunt you for years on your insurance renewals.
(This post was last modified: 30-12-2013 06:47pm by flibberflops.)
30-12-2013 06:46pm