Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bad scratch - very sad - hard to fix?
cs33wa

RE: Bad scratch - very sad - hard to fix?

(03-02-2013 10:59am)kiddstu Wrote:  Well I'm calling it a scratch but they're probably more than scratches. I was reversing into a parking spot late at night to put it into a better position to lessen the risk of other cars in the car park hitting it with doors etc. Anyhow, it was dark and everything seemed okay but then i heard a scratching noise, not exactly sure what it was behind me but it was part of an overhanging concrete structure that maybe the parking sensors didn't pick up on because of the height.

I'm attaching some photographs that I've taken, does anyone have any advice on fixing this? And roughly what the price would be.

Now back to my sadness...

Which car park In Perth?? Sorry for you...

Ordered:31/7/12
My13 Si4 Dynamic 5 Door Fuji White, new tech pack, new convinient pack, pano, adaptive dynamic, style7 wheel
Built 16th Nov 2012
Delivered: 17th Jan 2013
Wait is over...love my baby!!!
04-02-2013 01:39am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuH

They look more like gouges than scratches. I know when I backed up against my son's ute tray in my SAAB it cost me $500 which I thought was ok considering the damage I caused Sad It was white though and they say white is the cheapest to get fixed.
04-02-2013 07:59am
scrannel

If you haven't, clean it out using plenty of water and see if you're through to primer (or deeper of course). Sometimes these things look worse than they are. Even if you're just through the clear coat buffing it out can be tricky. But it may be possible.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
04-02-2013 08:59am
kiddstu

I got my first quote for it today and it appears like it's about $500 but i'll ask one or two more.

"Hi Stuart. from what I can see in the photos I would have to pretty much spray the whole tailgate.
The badges will need to come off and re-instated.
You would be looking at the $500 mark.
Regards"

Does that seem right to everyone, that the guy would need to spray the whole tailgate and remove the badge?
06-02-2013 02:06am
scrannel

(06-02-2013 02:06am)kiddstu Wrote:  I got my first quote for it today and it appears like it's about $500 but i'll ask one or two more.

"Hi Stuart. from what I can see in the photos I would have to pretty much spray the whole tailgate.
Regards"

Does that seem right to everyone, that the guy would need to spray the whole tailgate and remove the badge?

If it needs to be painted, yes.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
06-02-2013 04:36am
kiddstu

(06-02-2013 04:36am)scrannel Wrote:  If it needs to be painted, yes.

So they can't just cover up the badge to protect it and then fix/paint over the damaged area?
06-02-2013 05:47am
SuH

(06-02-2013 02:06am)kiddstu Wrote:  I got my first quote for it today and it appears like it's about $500 but i'll ask one or two more.

Regards"

Yes, they had to do that to my SAAB as well as the 470Z (someone ran up the back of me) small dent but that one was $800.
06-02-2013 08:00am
invoke

Cant tell from pics clearly, albeit for sure its not deep (no indentation noted).

Try buffing it out first (you can do it yourself = requires a drill and buff attachment).

Last resort will be visit to a local third party body shop (avoid dealer - they may end up convincing you to replace the whole door).

Sorry to see that... but again with the looks, if its a scratch, then Im very concerned that paint on evoke is just a very thin coat.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2013 04:43pm by invoke.)
06-02-2013 04:40pm
mark_n

Metallic black is unfortunately quite difficult to paint and a poor job will be all too visible in the brilliant Perth sunshine. The price of AU$ 500 seems reasonable.

I'm actually in Dubai on my way back to the UK from a fantastic visit to Perth, it's a really great place.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
04-04-2013 09:18pm
Dpkeeling

Hi I don't think you need to take it to a body shop. A good mobile service should be able to repair the scratches for you for around £150. You will have to lose your range rover tags though, but you can pick up replacements for about £30. Try http://www.carbodyrepairs4less.co.uk not to sure they cover your area but if you email them a photo they will give you a quote.

You could always try and do it yourself. But be warned if you make a mistake it might cost you more to rectify.
20-05-2013 02:44pm