Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auto or Manual Gearbox ??
J77

RE: Auto or Manual Gearbox ??

I am moving from SD4 auto freelander to TD4 manual just based on costs. I have said it before to get the best from the SD4 it has to be the auto. SD4 manual verses TD4 I personally don't see much off a difference to warrant the extra £1k price tag.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
(This post was last modified: 23-11-2011 10:01pm by J77.)
23-11-2011 09:56pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lrdaft

I went for auto as the 150bhp was not going into production for some time and I felt resale on auto rather than just larger engine was worth it ,after 6 weeks ownership the only downside as far as I can see Is fuel consumption best I have achieved is 36mpg ,I hope this improves as I have only 1000miles on the clock
I could get 29mpg on my tdv8 vogue se and 33 mpg on my tdv6 sport and 16mpg on my 4.4 autobiography,all around the claimed figures
Anyone getting near the claimed figures of 40 plus on the autos ?
Anyone getting 40plus on their manuals?

Pure sd4 auto Fuji cirrus
23-11-2011 10:03pm
IKM

I hear they're using autos at LR Offroad Experience courses. Don't know if that's an indication that autos are preferred offroad, or just a coincidence.
23-11-2011 10:27pm
PhilSkill

I think with a lot of people coming from other brands there will be quite a take up of manual as theyre not following RR tradition, it was real fun in some back country lanes tonight driving it through the gears, but once in traffic filled streets I could see where the Auto argument starts to win, its quite a lump to be negotiating in tight gaps and an auto would be easy. Still its early days for me, havent clocked 100 miles yet! So see how I get used to it. Then the Evo-Stick will get some stick!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
23-11-2011 11:52pm
3VOQU3

opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one..

Some of the posts on here are pretty rich, quoting 0-60 times etc.. after all you must floor it from a dead stop to 60 all the time right?

Both options have their positive and negatives.. So the best option would be to go and try both and see what you prefer.. What one person may like you may personally hate.. So give both a go and you'll choose what's best for you..
24-11-2011 12:35am
PhilSkill

Sound advice! and both are more than quick enough to overtake quickly and put a smile on your face! which is all you really need.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
24-11-2011 01:00am
Straydox

Doing a bit of surfing this morning I came across this article by the respected motoring journalist, Andrew Frankel:

Motorsport Evoque Review

In the article is this paragraph "
Quote: ........ with a six-speed automatic gearbox which is less quick and slick than you’d like. It is likely this transmission will soon be replaced by a state-of-the-art eight-speed item that should be well worth waiting for.

Now I wonder if that is a bit of journalistic licence - or the briefing pack contained such details?
(This post was last modified: 24-11-2011 01:24pm by Straydox.)
24-11-2011 01:21pm
Craig_d1

they just put the 8 speed shift in the D4 2012 refresh. Got told it'll prob go in the refresh or facelift on the evoque, but arrived just a bit too late for the new car as would of delayed the launch by a few months...not too sure whether it's true or just the dealer talking.
Probably true, but I disn't want to wait. Waited long enough....
and just like Apple, they drip feed the improvements every year..... they could do it all at once, but what would they have for the next year...keeps you coming back for more
(This post was last modified: 24-11-2011 01:27pm by Craig_d1.)
24-11-2011 01:25pm
J77

At the end of the day it is personal choice, what ever one you choose it will be no less off a range rover, all this "has to be an auto to be a range rover" is a lot of Censored. The original range rover was manual only and the last production manual range rover was in 2000.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
24-11-2011 04:50pm