Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Annoying Noise from Rear Solved
mstraka

I have a 2013 Evoque Coupe purchased this summer. Since new I had an intermittent 'thunk' noise during bumps coming from the rear. Very annoying as otherwise this is a noise free car. Finally over my holiday break from work I had the time today to investigate. My guess from the resonance that it was exhaust, suspension or else a bad strut and I assumed it would be hard to locate. Within several minutes I found the source. The rear metal seatbelt clips on the seatbelt straps that hang down close to the rear plastic side panels would strike the panels during bumps producing the noise. Happy to solve the problem (leave them fastened) but I'm amazed at this careless design that was passed on to production. I don't know if this is also a problem on the five door model.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2014 05:28pm by mstraka.)
10-01-2014 08:25am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
speary

RE: Annoying Noise from Rear Solved

(10-01-2014 08:25am)mstraka Wrote:  I have a 2013 Evoque Coupe purchased this summer. Since new I had an intermittent 'thunk' noise during bumps coming from the rear. Very annoying as otherwise this is a noise free car. Finally over my holiday break from work I had the time today to investigate. My guess from the resonance that it was exhaust, suspension or else a bad strut and I assumed it would be hard to locate. Within several minutes I found the source. The rear metal seatbelt clips on the seatbelt straps that hang down close to the rear plastic side panels would strike the panels during bumps producing the noise. Happy to solve the problem (leave them fastened) but I'm amazed at this carless design that was passed on to production. I don't know if this is also a problem on the five door model.

I also found this( mentioned on here somewhere if I remember correctly). I stuck a couple of small black foam pads under where the buckle meets the hard plastic

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
10-01-2014 08:59am
Tony

Yes to 5 door, rear seat belts always fastened and pano roof blind shut to eliminate two of the many rattles.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
10-01-2014 11:40am
Stadt Panzer

I had a rattle coming from the back of my coupe, it was sorted by the dealer who said the gps etc that sits in the roof, sits in a tray which was causing the noise. They padded it and all was good.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
10-01-2014 05:41pm
Devonian

(10-01-2014 08:59am)speary Wrote:  I also found this( mentioned on here somewhere if I remember correctly). I stuck a couple of small black foam pads under where the buckle meets the hard plastic

Has anyone bought any of these that look the part and do the job well?

2012-2014: Dynamic SD4 Auto Lux Coupe. Santorini Black, Style 7 20" Shadow wheels, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam Assist, Solar Attenuating Glass and black Dynamic Plus pack. Sold back to Land Rover due to many build quality issues.
On order: Corris Grey Dynamic SD4 5 door, black contrast pan roof, blind spot indicators, Intelligence Pack, Head Up Display, Solar Glass, 825W Stereo and powered tailgate.
10-01-2014 08:13pm
flibberflops

Its things like this that really make you wonder. I remember having the exact same issue in a £12k Citroen Picasso about 15 years ago! (and a similar thread on a Citroen forum).

This is basic stuff that is not unique to this car... so why does it slip the design process? Also how come road testers miss the basic stuff like this?
12-01-2014 02:10pm
JB13

So many moving parts, doing thousands of miles over hundreds of different surfaces.

I've never had a car that doesn't develop some sort of permanent or temporary rattle at some point. I don't even think buggatti could do it charging 900k.
12-01-2014 08:21pm
sorcerer

(12-01-2014 02:10pm)flibberflops Wrote:  ? Also how come road testers miss the basic stuff like this?

I have had two Evoques that developed the odd annoying rattle, but they didn't do it from new.
12-01-2014 09:05pm
batool100

It is very good to solved the problem of noise.
17-01-2014 07:27am
scalle

when you drive on belgian roads you don't hear the rattles in the car because the roads are full
of bumps and holes, one needs a 4x4 to drive on belgians roads…
and we pay a fortune to repair everything over and over!

and if i here a rattle i 'll have a drive in my daughters fiat panda (from the nineties)
and then i drive the evoque,
all things considered the car isn't noisy at all!

RRE TD4 Prestige 4WD AUT, santorini black, element interior, tech pack, cold climate pack, pano roof, privacy glass, brushed alu, auto high beam assist, airco vents rear, auto dim mirror, camera, home link, 20" style 7, 18" spare, debugged, roof rails,replaced side vents, grille in glossy black and center cap wheels with RR, black lettering
Also stunning Fiat 500 Cabrio GUCCI edition, black/gold metallic, and red Fiat Panda 1992 selecta (var. transmission).
(This post was last modified: 21-01-2014 09:30pm by scalle.)
21-01-2014 09:28pm