Poll: Which would you say best sums up the character of your Evoque's acceleration?
Peaky/Surge-y/two positions, on or off
Smooth/Ideal motorway cruiser/occasionally lacking in grunt
Both; silky smooth when required & power very accessible when/if needed.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Acceleration character: Smooth, but subdued, or Peaky/Surge prone
evoquemayne

Acceleration character: Smooth, but subdued, or Peaky/Surge prone

It appears to be something some reviewers make a real issue out of, some don't mention and some refute. Many suggest that the acceleration has, and I quote, "two positions, on or off". This is not necessarily a bad thing in all scenarios, but it makes the car more suited to overtake and surge prone driving, and less of a motorway type cruiser. However, others comment upon the smooth power delivery through the accelerator, turning it into a great motorway cruiser, but that it leaves you wanting for grunt when overtaking.

Would love some opinions just to clarify where the truth really lies.

(I'm sure the engine will have some impact on this, any Si4/SD4 owners - I'd love any additional feedback you could give as this is what I am going for, although I could still change between the two)
(This post was last modified: 19-05-2012 04:31pm by evoquemayne.)
19-05-2012 04:27pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Claud

RE: Acceleration character: Smooth, but subdued, or Peaky/Surge prone

I picked the smooth option and have a SD4 with about 4500 miles. I sometimes wished I had picked an Si4 for the power.

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
19-05-2012 09:34pm
PhilSkill

SD4 is a great engine, very smooth and easy to drive, pulls very well, but can have a little turbo lag if you just plant your foot when trundling along (not in dynamic mode). It can also be deceptive as you think you need faster acceleration until you realise what speed youve got to! I overtook a coach in some lanes the other day and it did it effortlessly I just needed to slow it back down again after! Not as fast accel as my petrol Mazda but then its a different beast entirely!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
19-05-2012 11:57pm
evoquemayne

(19-05-2012 11:57pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  It can also be deceptive as you think you need faster acceleration until you realise what speed youve got to!

Exact same feeling on my test drive. They only had the SD4. Found it very smooth, still found it slightly lacking, so I opted for the Si4 though. Hope I don't regret as I do have a fair amount of motorway driving over the next couple of years.

Still thought the SD4 was a great engine though, I have to say.
20-05-2012 12:13am