Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
300 miles in
griff

300 miles in

Had the car a week now and as the title states have covered about 300 miles in a mixture of two longish runs (70 miles each way) and a few short journeys - mainly to the pub if you want a confession Laughing

Mpg has been about 37 on a run and 28 round town so not so bad. This should improve with time.

I am mindful that the engine is new and that it needs a little time to bed in if it is going to perform in the long run so I have only taken it above 3000 rpm twice and was a bit shocked when it whipped round to 5000 in a blink of an eye. This engine is going to be a good'un methinks. The car easily cruises at 70 at circa 2000 rpm and apart from a little wind noise from the flappy ears and a bit of road rumble depending on surface, which is soon lost in the Meridian Stereo, things are serenely quiet.

I do have a word of warning for those of you who will travel on motorways - you get boxed in by people staring at the car and the fat bloke with a big grin driving it! It was actually disconcerting at the time because I wanted to pull out to overtake a lorry but the bloke next to me was giving the car the once over, gave me a thumbs up and then pulled away!

First impressions
1. Gear box can hunt a bit at low speeds but that is soon overcome with driving style and sympathetic use of throttle
2. Car accelerates like a scalded cat off roundabouts and is very brisk to 70. you have to watch that if you are in a 50 limit Wink
3. Electric rear hatch is a must - so useful when you are lugging stuff to the car
4. remote access is fine and I carry the key in my shirt pocket. Make sure its not covered by a mobile phone or it can block the signal. Remember that remote access will not double lock the car. You have to do that with the fob.
5. AD suspension is superb and I have noticed that as a few miles are put on it is actually getting better as parts bed in.
6. there is a lot going on in the message centre and touch-screen controls - my advice is READ THE MANUAL. virtually all questions asked on the forum by new owners are in it. However that does not preclude us helping each other out Smile
7. I'm waiting for the "has it broken down yet" jokes to finish
8. I will never tire of the folks that are asking for a walk round and a sit in. Never had that reaction before. Made up on that.
9. Greatest comment of the week - last night "Richard that is fantastic, I want one. My husband is going to have to work harder" Laughing
10. things that take time to get to grips with
- Seating position to get it just right - that's done now.
- Sat Nav - I still can't figure how to store addresses but will work on that today. TMC details are hidden in the menu
- Being a bit short on cubby space - especially as it's a work vehicle - stops build up of cr*p.
11. Things most impressed with
- the lights look brilliant inside and out. Everyone mentions the puddle lights
- seats are comfortable
- 850 watt stereo is great - I've stopped using the IPod all the time and have loaded CD's of my 10 favourite albums - better quality sound.
- DAB radio and TV are great
- windscreen wash comes out as a mist rather than a jet - covers more screen superb
- handling, handling and more handling - it just should not perform that way. you can feel the weight but I would never have considered cornering in SUV's I have had before like this.
- build quality - superb. No rattles no misalignments.

Well done Halewood.

This is worth the wait for folks - hang tough.

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
(This post was last modified: 18-11-2011 10:49am by griff.)
18-11-2011 10:44am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evo-king

RE: 300 miles in

griff, long post, will re read it, but great comments, I too was surprised when on a test drive at how effortlessly the car seemed to reach our legal speed limit of 70mph, paper stats do not always translate to the in car experience, that impression was also gained as a passenger when my wife was driving and got onto a 3 mile dual carriageway, had to point out to her she was nearing 90 mph in no time.

One other thing I asked the salesman, whilst in the car regarding running in, and he said the engines are already run in, you just have to be careful with the tyres and brakes for the first couple of hundred miles. Don't know what other owners think of this?

Let's keep the positives coming.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
(This post was last modified: 18-11-2011 10:54am by Evo-king.)
18-11-2011 10:54am
Token

Agree with every comment Griff...

Found an annoying safety feature yesterday...the car won't let you drive it with a door open! For those of us that sometimes need to reverse with the door open (entrance to my driveway is pitch black so hard to see with camera's / mirrors) this is a pain...however, I have three friends who have managed to rip their doors off in the past so I guess it is probably a good thing overall! Land Rover are saving us from ourselves!

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
18-11-2011 11:19am
vision*R

(18-11-2011 11:19am)Token Wrote:  the car won't let you drive it with a door open!
What does it do then? Shut the engine down? Isn't this related to the auto gearbox?

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
18-11-2011 11:34am
KaDargo

Griff - glad you say 'it is worth the wait"

I have waited 30 years for this car - every time I have nearly enough cash (always buy cash) saved up, something crops up - houses, weddings, divorces, more weddings (kids this time) and I have never quite managed to attain the 'quality' car I have yearned for (plethora of fords, mazdas etc - not that they are bad cars)

Everyone who has their car seems to rave about it (with a few minor 'gripes') - and yet there are some on here who like me are still waiting for their new 'baby' and are talking of cancelling orders and going elsewhere.

I have had virtually the money to buy for the last year or so, and have looked at various alternatives but as far as I am concerned NOTHING comes close at this price point, and I am prepared to wait for as long as it takes.

I want to experience what you are - I want that big wide grin (still partly there when I think back to my test drives)

PS - where in Sussex are you - did you buy from a dealer in Chichester ?

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
18-11-2011 12:13pm
griff

Thanks for the comments folks
@Evo-king - its the engineer in me I'm afraid - although the engine is run in I like to give it a sympathetic hearing in varied conditions for the first 1000 miles. I also keep an eye on oil consumption - none used yet.

@ KaDargo - not far away - Petworth. Bought the car from Harwoods in Pulborough who actually did a great job through all my stresses and being constantly on their case through the delays.

Haven't tried the door thing!

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
18-11-2011 12:26pm
Token

(18-11-2011 11:34am)vision*R Wrote:  What does it do then? Shut the engine down? Isn't this related to the auto gearbox?

Yes, it's related to the auto gearbox...the engine just revs like it's in neutral...

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
18-11-2011 02:14pm
SebM

Congrats !!

Actually : '04 Lotus Elise Mk2 111 & '11 Land Rover Defender 90 SW RAW
18-11-2011 07:31pm
Radeco

Still cannot fault mine - Yes I read the manual - before I ever got it - just have to be so careful of the SPECS - it's so quick !

G4 Freelander 2005 V6 HSE Stage 1 Thailand/Laos. HQ Support
Gone - Grey Freelander 2 2011 SD4 XS Works Van !
Still missing my Evo.
18-11-2011 10:18pm
ant

griff, agree with all your comments and my experiences mirror yours so far. I'm up to 1300 miles now.
Incidentally you CAN double lock the car by touching the lock bars on the door handle TWICE in quick succession. You will hear a confirmation "beep" to tell you it's double locked. I haven't touched the fob in 2 months!!!
ANTLaughing

Prestige, 5 dr, SD4 Auto, Firenze, Lux, Ambience, Adaptive Dynamics, (+other options).
Current cars: Evoque: 1972 Stag: 2008 C4 Grand Picasso x 2: 2004 Defender 110: LDV flatbed (for moving the Stag)
Gone: Aston Martin DB9Crying, RRS, FFRR x 5, Classic Minis x loads, 1987 Defender 110.
19-11-2011 12:22pm