Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
question on touch up painting
bangsters

question on touch up painting

Hey guys. I got small nick in my door, so I used a touch up paint to cover it. However, it is not flush with the rest of the paint. How can I level/blend this with the rest of the car? Do I wet sand it before applying clear? Or just wet sand and forget about clear coating the area? It's a very small part of the door, on the edge to be exact.

Thanks for any tips.

2014 Ipanema Sand Pure Plus. Mods to follow....
Images hosted on PixelsBin
30-10-2014 08:43pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WB
WB

RE: question on touch up painting

I usually head over to detailingworld or youtube for videos on topics such as paint touch up. It's a bit of an art though and if its on the edge probably better off left rather than wet sanding unless you have a very steady hand.
30-10-2014 10:01pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bangsters

Thanks! What about clear coating it? Is it still recommended on touch ups or not at all? I am leaning on putting a 2000 grit on the eraser tip of a pencil and lightly wet sand it to even the roughness. But I'm not sure if I can clear coat it after sanding. I tried googling that part and couldn't find a definite answer.

30-10-2014 10:08pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WB
WB

it's a tough one to comment on the clear coat without seeing the location/size of the touch up. Generally I tend to buy premixed top and clear coat so I don't need to apply separate clear coat.
30-10-2014 10:13pm
bangsters

Thanks!! I had a go at it. It's not bad considering it's my first shot at something like this lol... the touch up also is a perfect match since I got it from my dealer. My only issue is it's not 100% smooth so I'll try to rub it later. I'll post some pics on the results if it's passable Smile

30-10-2014 10:56pm
ES-RREVQ014

Maybe this youtube video might be helpful.

Turtle Wax Scratch Repair Kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzKIAKz1ZKs
30-10-2014 11:37pm
PhilSkill

A basic car polish would be better than 2000 grit, the new paint will be fairly soft and should polish smooth once dry. My touch up tin of pre mixed paint and clearcoat came with a tube of polish.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
31-10-2014 12:08am
bangsters

I gave it a rub when I got home from work. I bought a turtle wax rubbing compound. I think I rubbed a bit too much since the ding can be felt inside again. So there was room for clear coat now. But I was too impaitient and did the clearcoat in the dark amd rubbed the clear too soon. So I will have to repeat again tomorrow.

The good thing is it looked nice and was barely visible before I rubbed. While rubbing the base coat you could barely tell, but I was too impatient. lol... I will give it a proper treatment over the weekend and make sure the paint dries first before I rub. And I'll rub just enough for room for some clear coat.

I'll post pics over the weekend.

31-10-2014 03:42am
Redrob

Your wife's hair dryer will speed up the drying process.

MY13 Dynamic coupe Orkney Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc......soon to be
MY14 Dynamic 5 door Orkney Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc......soon to be
MY15 Dynamic Lux Fuji White Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc.
31-10-2014 10:06am