Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brake issue?
eddkawasaki

Brake issue?

Hi all,
I was out cleaning the car today and noticed that there is a build up of brake dust on the rear wheels that have turned the wheel a kind of golden colour but the fronts were clear. I'm sure the fronts are normally worse to clean than the rears?. A dose of wolfs decon gel has cleaned the wheels up a treat but I'm now worried that the front brakes are not working as they should. The brakes in the car I did the experience day in this week felt much more effective than my brakes are and I was told off for braking too hard at first until I got used to them.

Anyone had any experience like this before?

SD4 Dynamic Lux, 5 Door, Firenze Red, Ebony Interior, Black headlining, Black Contrast Panoramic Roof, Aeroflip Spoiler, Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel, Adaptive Xenons, TPMS & Spare wheel
Order Date: 14th May 2012
Build date: approx 5th Oct 2012
Delivery Date: Should be 22nd Oct
Actual delivery: 31st Oct

[Image: 151436.png]
(This post was last modified: 26-01-2013 05:05pm by eddkawasaki.)
26-01-2013 05:05pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadt Panzer

Brake issue?

Someone did post the same problem, a quick search would bring it up. I don't have this problem on my car but Maybe it's down to serving style?

Somewhere in the North Sea.
26-01-2013 05:53pm
z4alfie

RE: Brake issue?

(26-01-2013 05:05pm)eddkawasaki Wrote:  Hi all,
I was out cleaning the car today and noticed that there is a build up of brake dust on the rear wheels that have turned the wheel a kind of golden colour but the fronts were clear. I'm sure the fronts are normally worse to clean than the rears?. A dose of wolfs decon gel has cleaned the wheels up a treat but I'm now worried that the front brakes are not working as they should. The brakes in the car I did the experience day in this week felt much more effective than my brakes are and I was told off for braking too hard at first until I got used to them.

I posted this last week, someone suggested the brakes were binding, Im going to book it in to be looked at. The rear wheels are bonded with brake dust and look bronze, its horrible. The fronts are clean as whistles. It should clean off with a good alloy wheel cleaner. Ill expect the dealer to do it though
26-01-2013 07:10pm
doug

(12-18-2012 09:13 am)doug Wrote:  
I find the rear two wheels get covered in more brake dust than the front two. Which is strange, as the fronts have the bigger brake set.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
26-01-2013 08:09pm
Bowl

(26-01-2013 08:09pm)doug Wrote:  (12-18-2012 09:13 am)doug Wrote:  
I find the rear two wheels get covered in more brake dust than the front two. Which is strange, as the fronts have the bigger brake set.

Actually the rear brake discs are slighter bigger in diameter (302 mm VS 300 mm) but with less thickness (11 mm VS 28 mm)

Evoque SD4 Coupé Dynamic, Fuji White, Santoriny Pano roof, Lux pack, RSE, style 8 wheels, along with everything else.
26-01-2013 08:24pm
tash

(26-01-2013 05:05pm)eddkawasaki Wrote:  Hi all,

Yes had this on passenger side, brake stuck on a drive out and home from Sheffield, could hear it squeaking in traffic. Nightmare to clean, used heavy duty clay bar, then alloy cleaner then re- sealed, took some doing. There was a report early cars rear calipars needed tightening, had mine checked over Christmas, wash car each week and seem fine now. Garage measured the pads also and all where fine, told there was little wear on them, after 31k miles that's impressive.

I had a jag XF and it ate the rear pads, had them changed at 20k miles and garage showed me them they where well down, apparently s type with electric handbrake suffered the same.

Ed4 pure 5 door, Fuji, pan roof, tech pack, privacy, fog lights, style 6 wheels, ebony interior, delivery 22nd March
26-01-2013 09:03pm
eddkawasaki

Thanks for all the replies, I find it a bit odd that the rears seem to be doing more of the braking. I've not heard any odd noises like they are binding. It just seems that there is too much bias on the rears. I'm off out to my parents for tea today so will inspect discs before and after the journey to see if they is any discernible difference front to rear. Might give the dealer a call to see what they say.

SD4 Dynamic Lux, 5 Door, Firenze Red, Ebony Interior, Black headlining, Black Contrast Panoramic Roof, Aeroflip Spoiler, Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel, Adaptive Xenons, TPMS & Spare wheel

(This post was last modified: 27-01-2013 03:40pm by eddkawasaki.)
27-01-2013 10:41am
rchrdleigh

In vehicles fitted with Electronic Brake Force Distribution, such as Evoque, it is quite common for the rear brake pads to wear faster than the front.
27-01-2013 09:18pm
PhilSkill

(27-01-2013 09:18pm)rchrdleigh Wrote:  In vehicles fitted with Electronic Brake Force Distribution, such as Evoque, it is quite common for the rear brake pads to wear faster than the front.

I never apply my handbrake while moving, and always release before pulling off, there is absolutely no reason for the rear brakes to wear additionally because of the Electronic brake the way I use it, but I Also noticed this cleaning mine, have pics to post when I can

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
28-01-2013 12:15am
eddkawasaki

Well before I left today I put marks on all the disc with a permanent marker. Once I got to the local shop to pick up a paper I checked if they were still there. All 4 marks had gone so my front brakes are doing something. On the way home I tried to engage cruise control and nothing happened tried in 4th, 5th & 6th gears to no avail. I found a quiet lice of road and did a test emergency stop to see what the braking performance was like now. Low and behold after this the cruise control worked again???? I think I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow.

28-01-2013 12:41am