babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Extra Key FOB Programming - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Extra Key FOB Programming (/Thread-Extra-Key-FOB-Programming)

Extra Key FOB Programming - michail1 - 25-07-2015 06:59am

Has anyone gone through the process of getting another key fob?

Basically, I thought I lost mine (found after a month in the garage), so I was using my spare. Worried that it was my only key, I have decided to get a spare.

Even worse, the rubber is pealing away from my spare.

I called LR to get the cost. Holy Hell.... $540 for key, blade, and programming.
My car is under warranty, so they Rubber is covered. They will replace the shell in a week.
I decided against the extra key.

So, I see people selling/buying these spare FOBs on ebay. Decided to purchase a couple (very cheap) just to consider it. Called LR back, and they claim that once a key is programmed, it can't be programmed to another vehicle. First, that sounds bogus to me, but who knows?

Programming. Contacted a few places and they claim they can try with their programmers, but can't guarentee it. They charge from $115 to $120 (includes programming of 1 or 2 keys). They said if they can't do it, then no charge.

Second decision is to try them or simply buy a key programmer - Not cheap. In worse case, I could resell it after success or failure. Smile

RE: Extra Key FOB Programming - michail1 - 12-08-2015 09:37pm

Decided to buy the programmer. Received it in only a few days.

Well, Fail on ebay purchase. The keys were 434Mhz which I found out is for Europe. Ummm, didn't think someone in the USA would be selling European FOBs. Fortunately, the guy was kewl and accepted a return. I only ate shipping back to him. (Figured ths out when I couldn't get them to program/work with my car.)

Then, I purchased several of the correct keys. Got them yesterday. Took minutes and now have 3 working keys and 2 more to, ummm, sell?

So, now I can add or delete keys. (Great if you lose a key and don't want to worry about someone finding it (and later come to take a nice car at any time).)

If you're close to Seattle and need a key fob (or programming), give me a call. Smile

RE: Extra Key FOB Programming - michail1 - 11-09-2015 09:04pm

K. Posted on craigslist and run into several people.

So, have programmed 4 keys/remotes. (3 range rover (1 of them being evoque) and 1 for a Jag).

Less that I thought I would, but if a key from the Dealer is $500+ with programming, people are careful not to lose them. Smile

Sorry, I haven't taken any video or the process (as someone in here asked me), but maybe on the next remote.

RE: Extra Key FOB Programming - mark_n - 12-09-2015 05:30am

(11-09-2015 09:04pm)michail1 Wrote:  K. Posted on craigslist and run into several people.

So, have programmed 4 keys/remotes. (3 range rover (1 of them being evoque) and 1 for a Jag).

Less that I thought I would, but if a key from the Dealer is $500+ with programming, people are careful not to lose them. Smile

Sorry, I haven't taken any video or the process (as someone in here asked me), but maybe on the next remote.

How much does the key programmer cost?

RE: Extra Key FOB Programming - michail1 - 08-10-2015 07:24pm

(12-09-2015 05:30am)mark_n Wrote:  How much does the key programmer cost?

Sorry for the delay. I didn't get notification that anyone posted.

I have since done several more RR's in the area (and Toyotas (even a Taxi (prius)).

The programmer costs $800, but you can find cheaper ones. I simply wanted to be able to do any Immobilizer system.

RE: Extra Key FOB Programming - donot521 - 13-10-2015 12:04am

I lost one of my for and definitely would like to get a spare one just in case

Do you mind share your process? How much total did you spend for a spare and how to program.

Thanks

RE: Extra Key FOB Programming - michail1 - 14-10-2015 05:39am

(13-10-2015 12:04am)donot521 Wrote:  I lost one of my for and definitely would like to get a spare one just in case

Do you mind share your process? How much total did you spend for a spare and how to program.

Thanks

Well, I spent more money going my own route than having the dealer do it; however, I have a programmer now and have done remotes for other people. So, eventually, my key fob / remote will be free.

Basically, you just need a FOB and a programmer. Takes about 5 mins.

The FOB can be had on ebay for about $50, but be careful. You get get new ones for about 80-90. Then, the programmer is about 600-1000. Just depends on what you want.