babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Gearbox Fault - DO NOT BUY THE 9 Speed Auto - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Gearbox Fault - DO NOT BUY THE 9 Speed Auto (/Thread-Gearbox-Fault-DO-NOT-BUY-THE-9-Speed-Auto)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Gearbox Fault - DO NOT BUY THE 9 Speed Auto - Tony - 25-08-2014 02:14pm

Well today started with a nice clear blue sky and a fresh breeze, so we loaded up the photographic kit to head out for a day - NOT!. Twelve miles down the road we slow down for a small roundabout, stop and then go to pull away. No power, no drive, revs rising and the panel flashing with 'GEARBOX FAULT' , a yellow triangle and accompanying grinding noise - don't panic, pull in stop, try to pull away again same thing. Stop, switch off get out lock, un lock, GEARBOX FAULT light but no triangle, try to drive away and all OK. Stop again, repeat process and no warning this time, drive home carefully and call LR Assist.

LR Assist got a guy from a local garage out within 45 minutes. Plugs in a device and read a fault code, phones in the fault and advises that the car will be collected by transporter and returned to the LR dealer.

This is followed but several phone calls from LR Assist confirming the car will be collected within the hour and the dealer has been alerted to the issue. Another call to say a replacement courtesy vehicle is being sourced but I won't get it until tomorrow because of the bank holiday - bummer!.

We have only had this Evoque for about 6 weeks, it spent its first week in the dealers bodyshop having paintwork damage repaired, another week back at the dealer having the all of the trim rear of the 'B' post refitted to cure a rattle and now the gearbox cr@ps out!

Dear Land Rover, can I have my money back?
[attachment=4057]
The embarassment of having nearly £50k's worth of new car towed away and a ruined week.

RE: Gearbox Fault - 9 Speed - DEAR LANDROVER - CAN I HAVE MY MONEY BACK! - Sarcastrix - 25-08-2014 06:22pm

Time to reject it Sad

RE: Gearbox Fault - DO NOT BUY THE 9 Speed Auto - Tony - 25-08-2014 06:40pm

(25-08-2014 06:22pm)Sarcastrix Wrote:  Time to reject it Sad

I think so.

Most expensive car I have ever owned and the only vehicle in over 40 years of driving that has had to be towed away.

RE: Gearbox Fault - 9 Speed - DEAR LANDROVER - CAN I HAVE MY MONEY BACK! - vinny - 25-08-2014 08:10pm

Just to annoy you-my sq5 comes next week! Laughing

RE: Gearbox Fault - DO NOT BUY THE 9 Speed Auto - Tony - 25-08-2014 08:12pm

(25-08-2014 08:10pm)vinny Wrote:  Just to annoy you-my sq5 comes next week! Laughing

My TT or X4 may not be far behind!

RE: Gearbox Fault - 9 Speed - DEAR LANDROVER - CAN I HAVE MY MONEY BACK! - m_101 - 25-08-2014 11:31pm

Agreed. reject reject reject. If the car has been in for a third of the time you've owned it, it's time to have a re-think.
In my opinion the quality issues sometimes do spoil what is an otherwise outstanding vehicle. I would just be pleased if mine didn't rattle and was perceptibly better screwed together! Time to get it sorted LR or a fair few people on this forum won't be back!

RE: Gearbox Fault - 9 Speed - DEAR LANDROVER - CAN I HAVE MY MONEY BACK! - XFullFatTim - 26-08-2014 07:27am

Tony, I was rather surprised you stayed with the brand after your last car's problems. I too am disappointed with the shoddy assembly of mine, especially as the last car was a launch day car and one can be a bit forgiving, but a car built 3years after production started should not have the rattles and defects the current builds seem to suffer.

RE: Gearbox Fault - DO NOT BUY THE 9 Speed Auto - Tony - 26-08-2014 08:49am

(26-08-2014 07:27am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Tony, I was rather surprised you stayed with the brand after your last car's problems. I too am disappointed with the shoddy assembly of mine, especially as the last car was a launch day car and one can be a bit forgiving, but a car built 3years after production started should not have the rattles and defects the current builds seem to suffer.

Tim, stayed because its basically a very good car apart from build quality which by all reports was said to be dramatically improved from the early cars - its not.

My other option probably won't be available until next summer - the third generation 4WD Audi TT auto diesel and I will not order one until I have driven one. The other outsider was the X4, problem is its a BMW. As for the Evoques handing in Dynamic S mode I love it especially on some of the roads I have access to, travelling west through Glen Shiel being a favorite. Its ability on these sort of roads is the cars saving grace, if only it had the V6 but then I would probably get myself into serious trouble!..

Not sure where we go from here, 21hours after my car was trailered away and I am still without transport. After an initial good response from LR Assist they have so far failed to supply a replacement vehicle.

RE: Gearbox Fault - 9 Speed - DEAR LANDROVER - CAN I HAVE MY MONEY BACK! - J77 - 26-08-2014 10:16am

Reading this makes me a bit nervous, I've only had one bad LR (D3), I'm looking at taking the 9 speed auto in my Disco Sport. In a way I'm glad mines coming with the current engine, at least I know it's never let me down. I'm hoping (but doubt it) that the quality from the Fl2 is carried over as IMO it's the best built, 3 of them never been back to the dealers.

I thought LR had cracked it with the Fl2, build quality far superior to anything in the range at the time, but now it seems they have taken a step backwards with this new generation.

RE: Gearbox Fault - DO NOT BUY THE 9 Speed Auto - Tony - 26-08-2014 10:32am

(26-08-2014 10:16am)J77 Wrote:  Reading this makes me a bit nervous, I've only had one bad LR (D3), I'm looking at taking the 9 speed auto in my Disco Sport. In a way I'm glad mines coming with the current engine, at least I know it's never let me down. I'm hoping (but doubt it) that the quality from the Fl2 is carried over as IMO it's the best built, 3 of them never been back to the dealers.

I thought LR had cracked it with the Fl2, build quality far superior to anything in the range at the time, but now it seems they have taken a step backwards with this new generation.

Our FL2 2009-2012 was the best car we have ever owned apart from wearing out the original set of craptinentals in 16k miles it never needed anything but the schedualed servicing. We to had hoped the Evoque, basically the same mechanical package from the same build line would have the same quality - but no!. I think LR were overtaken by the demand for the Evoque and have just ramped up production with non experienced staff in a head long rush for quantity over quality.

I fear the DS will follow the same course.