babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
slippage on bends/tight turns - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: slippage on bends/tight turns (/Thread-slippage-on-bends-tight-turns)

Pages: 1 2

slippage on bends/tight turns - gw76 - 11-10-2012 08:19pm

Not sure of techinical term ? understeer but on going fast into a tight bend or slightly faster than probably should into a roundabout ive really felt the steering slip almost as if on ice as if the tyres were bald (Which they are not)

Is it my driving technique or over expectation of handling ? and can I do anything not have that horrible feeling

5 door petrol dynamic

RE: slippage on bends/tight turns - THEMACS - 11-10-2012 08:59pm

You do realise you are driving a 4x4, that has a relatively high centre of gravity, and not a 430 Scuderia or a 458 Italia!!Laughing

RE: slippage on bends/tight turns - J77 - 11-10-2012 09:48pm

Think you just got a bit over zealous.

slippage on bends/tight turns - griff - 11-10-2012 10:20pm

It's your driving technique.
Too much power and speed in and you are not balancing the car in the corner. If you have magneride putting it in dynamic road will help roll but not under steer.

Driving it like a rear wheel drive car will also help if you are not doing that and then applying power as you leave the corner.

RE: slippage on bends/tight turns - Easty - 12-10-2012 09:14pm

the speed is too high for the amount the front wheels are turned. So you need to straighten the wheels or reduce the speed.

Slow in Fast out is what you want to aim for. Brake straight as possible, smoothly release the brakes as you turn into the corner and gently apply a little power to switch the balance of the car. as you go through the apex of the corner and start to track the car to the outside of the road you want to be opening up the power smoothly.

If it ploughs as you say it's good to have the feedback, slowly release the accelarator as the sliding is breaking it will slow fast and hook up again. It's a nice balanaced car that gives you good feedback like this and really helps learning it's limits. as it's no ariel atom being smooth with steering and power is very important the heavier the vehicle.

Regardless of the car you'll be driving its a good idea to get out in a quiet space and learn it's turning and braking behviour. Then if a time comes where you'll need it you'll be a lot more confidence dealing with the situation.

RE: slippage on bends/tight turns - XFullFatTim - 12-10-2012 11:18pm

I'm a bit surprised the traction control wasn't activated or the DSC cut in unless it was only a small loss of grip....... the car's systems should de-power the wheel with no grip and send it to those with grip and the DSC should cut the power too

RE: slippage on bends/tight turns - speary - 16-10-2012 08:45am

(12-10-2012 09:14pm)Easty Wrote:  the speed is too high for the amount the front wheels are turned. So you need to straighten the wheels or reduce the speed.

Slow in Fast out is what you want to aim for. Brake straight as possible, smoothly release the brakes as you turn into the corner and gently apply a little power to switch the balance of the car. as you go through the apex of the corner and start to track the car to the outside of the road you want to be opening up the power smoothly.

If it ploughs as you say it's good to have the feedback, slowly release the accelarator as the sliding is breaking it will slow fast and hook up again. It's a nice balanaced car that gives you good feedback like this and really helps learning it's limits. as it's no ariel atom being smooth with steering and power is very important the heavier the vehicle.

Regardless of the car you'll be driving its a good idea to get out in a quiet space and learn it's turning and braking behviour. Then if a time comes where you'll need it you'll be a lot more confidence dealing with the situation.
Easty, your cornering advice is good for the track but that technique isnt always appropriate for a driver who has not been shown how to do it. In short. if they get it wrong on a left hander they end up on the wrong side of the road and on a right hander they could end up hitting a tree/lamp post. I agree on a road where you can see through the bend then the technique is more relevant. On other bends I recommend using the Roadcraft method. I strongly beleive that drivers need instruction to get this right as getting it wrong just once could proove fatal.
And on that note I also recommend that drivers do the IAM skill for life Advanced Driving Course (non profit charity). Find my local group at http://www.boltoniam.org.uk (non profit charity)
I hope this is ok with the mods Very Happy

RE: slippage on bends/tight turns - XFullFatTim - 16-10-2012 09:29am

For the IAM general website where you can find your local centre http://www.iam.org.uk

RE: slippage on bends/tight turns - PhilSkill - 16-10-2012 01:06pm

General Road cars are nearly always setup to understeer as this is what average drivers can understand, too fast and the car just slides forwards rather than steers, you naturally get out of the throttle and the weight transfers toward the front giving it more grip and counteracting the understeer, oversteer may cause you to lose the rear and spin. 4WD is likely to cause more understeer as it will keep the drive on any wheels with traction, DSC may well help here until you exceed the limits DSC can do any help for you, you can only really get out of the throttle.

The fact we are talking about understeer/oversteer in an offroader shows how good it is...

P.S. don't take anything I say as driving advice... Laughing

RE: slippage on bends/tight turns - pugracer - 16-10-2012 01:16pm

I found the car quite neutral thru twisty roads at relatively high speed with my driving style. I'm very happy with such handling on a SUV. And, mine doesn't even have the magnetic ride.