babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
transparent paint protection systems - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Detailing & Car Care (/Forum-Detailing-Car-Care)
+--- Thread: transparent paint protection systems (/Thread-transparent-paint-protection-systems)

transparent paint protection systems - maxw523 - 13-09-2012 04:22am

Hello all,

I was wndering if anyone has any experience with the adhesive transparent paint protection systems.
In particular there is one that is fairly new here in the US : Xpel self healing transparent protective paint film.

http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ultimate_paint_protection_film.asp

Do you think these films help in terms of paint preservation or are merely yet another "extra"

Many thanks in advance.
Max.

RE: transparent paint protection systems - Griff449 - 13-09-2012 07:49am

I've had a few of my project cars protected by Paintshield (google them)

Not cheap but certainly works!!!!!

RE: transparent paint protection systems - doug - 13-09-2012 09:12am

This "self healing" film would be a good ideal to use on the high gloss plastic window trim.

RE: transparent paint protection systems - Evo-king - 13-09-2012 10:17am

Good idea doug.

These coatings are probably better if they cover the whole of the area they are intended to protect.

Some films only cover part of the bodywork so end up trapping dirt along its edges or are prone to lifting.

RE: transparent paint protection systems - maxw523 - 13-09-2012 03:35pm

Yes, I was thinking of the entire hood and front fender as well as mirrors and plastic window trims.
And you guys think they definitely work?

RE: transparent paint protection systems - DaveR - 13-09-2012 04:18pm

I have been wondering if any of these clear films would provide some protection to the Panoramic Roof against chipping.

RE: transparent paint protection systems - maxw523 - 14-09-2012 05:08am

(13-09-2012 04:18pm)DaveR Wrote:  I have been wondering if any of these clear films would provide some protection to the Panoramic Roof against chipping.

The product that I've been looking at provides protection for headlights. Many of the detailers make this a custom fit. I imagine that the panoramic roof can be similarly protected.

RE: transparent paint protection systems - Griff449 - 14-09-2012 08:29am

Easy to do for sure. I know the company I always go to could do it and would offer a forum discountim sure