babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
SD4 Engine flat spot - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: SD4 Engine flat spot (/Thread-SD4-Engine-flat-spot)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

SD4 Engine flat spot - Stufrost - 21-08-2012 05:46am

Hello all - First time on this general Forum.

Had the Evoque now for 6 weeks and 2500 ks. In general delighted with the car, it lives up to expectations, fit, finish, very sporty etc. (Best consumption on two long highway trips is 7.8 litres per 100k. Where do LR get their 5.8 from?) Anyway more important ...

.... I've got an annoying flat spot that is not always there, comes and goes when warm, for 2 to 4 seconds after you hit the loud pedal! It may not sound like much, but when you pull into traffic expecting it to move, it doesn't and a 10 ton semi is bearing down on you!!!???

Has anyone else had this issue and is it an engine management problem, and more important can it be fixed by the dealer and will they know about it? (MY dealer in Port Macquarie wouldn't have sold more than a few.)

Your advice appreciated.

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - socalvoque - 21-08-2012 06:27am

I think i know what you are talking about, but i always thought it was more or less throttle response... OR turbo lag? It seems when I switch to S mode, its better, but I agree it should not be like this.

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - doug - 21-08-2012 06:52am

Welcome, Stufrost & socalvoque.

I know what you mean, I thought it was a Auto thing. My LR D3 was the same, when your at a junction about to pull out you hit the gas paddle & nothing happens for a couple of seconds, than it takes off like a rocket Confused

Another flat spot I find is any thing over 3500-4000rpm The car pulls great up to this point, it's only by changing up a gear that the car comes back to life again. In the past I have had VW's & Audi's which have just kept pulling right up to the rev limiters

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - Barneyridge - 21-08-2012 10:21am

Hi mate, there has been a thread on the hesitation. Maybe do a search on turbo lag and/or hesitation. It has been a common complaint/issue with a number of people on here with the autos (being on the iPhone it is too hard to search for a link sorry).

I have now got use to it and now my driving style has accommodated it and adjusted.

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - XFullFatTim - 21-08-2012 11:01am

Stufrost - welcome to the forums........................

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - JoBro - 21-08-2012 12:37pm

I had this problem when i first got my SD4, but now that i have done over 4000 Km's it seems to have tuned itself, or i have just learned how to use the clutch and accelerator during take off.

How many km's have you guys done?

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - benzina - 21-08-2012 12:38pm

Um ^...he has SD4 in title.

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - XFullFatTim - 21-08-2012 02:02pm

(21-08-2012 12:38pm)benzina Wrote:  Um ^...he has SD4 in title.
EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - Stufrost - 23-07-2013 03:19am

Now 11 months later (since my last post) and the flat spot hasn't gone away.

I thought/hoped it might with wear and time. It frightens the life out of me when turning against the traffic ... put the foot down to turn right across the oncoming lane and nothing happens ... and the car about to get cleaned up by a B Double truck that can't stop!!!!

I not a few comments on the issue. But this must be a problem with a lot of RR diesels, as I see a web page from http://www.chipmydiesel.com (and an .au Aus version) that states:

'Eliminates flat spots in your Land Rover Range Rover Evoque SD4 and reduces turbo lag for a crisper, smoother drive with longer performance power band

Improved economy possible by increasing the your Land Rover Range Rover Evoque SD4 diesel engine's torque output, allowing use of higher gears at lower revs

Increased diesel engine performance at low-med revs allows better torque response for easier towing of caravans and/or trailers' etc etc

1. Once again I ask has anyone on this Forum has experienced this issue ... and ...

2. Has anyone tried this 'chip my diesel' chip and can comment.

I would appreciate your feedback before the Evoque is a smouldering wreck next time I try to turn right!

ThanksEmbarrassed

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - doug - 23-07-2013 08:16am

When you put your foot down to pull away at a junction, is it the case that "nothing" happens for 1-2secs or is it that it slowly pulls away ?

The "nothing" happens case was the same in my Discovery 3. So I'm now used to this behaviour (not saying it's right) but it's just the way LR auto box worksConfused For me it happens when I leave my house, drive @30mph for 1 1/2miles & at the first roundabout.

On the D3 forum, there's talk about this & a fix to in prove the problem on older models when it gets worse. I can't remember what the cause/adjustment was.