babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Is The Evoque a 'Proper' 4x4? - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Is The Evoque a 'Proper' 4x4? (/Thread-Is-The-Evoque-a-Proper-4x4)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Is The Evoque a 'Proper' 4x4? - THEMACS - 07-02-2012 11:06pm

I have just watched a video on Youtube where an american review site has tested a RRS against an Evoque. It was interesting to watch. ANyway the RRS was better in the snowy conditions, as expected, but at the end one of the reviewers said that the Evoque was basically a Front Wheel Drive car and used some electronics to send drive to the back as opposed to being a proper 4wd vehicleConfused Not sure about that and I am not suitably informed to know one way or another!

I thought it was a Real 4wd vehicle

RE: Is The Evoque a 'Proper' 4x4? - PhilSkill - 07-02-2012 11:12pm

To drive the fronts and rears you have driveshafts attached to each wheel and differentials to link together and adjust the power, the fancy electronics helps apply the power correctly and helps traction with the brakes. Its a 4wd!

RE: Is The Evoque a 'Proper' 4x4? - Cedric - 07-02-2012 11:16pm

Can you post us the link? I found that most review sites that claim it's not a proper 4x4, don't actually test it offroad.

Have a look at this video if you have doubts.

Winter Testing, Arjeplog

RE: Is The Evoque a 'Proper' 4x4? - RacingSnake - 07-02-2012 11:16pm

Just to expand on that, it is a true 4wd, but for the purists probably not!... it uses a viscous coupling and electronics instead of the pig-iron mechanical diff which I believe is used in the RRS.

RE: Is The Evoque a 'Proper' 4x4? - THEMACS - 07-02-2012 11:16pm

(07-02-2012 11:12pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  To drive the fronts and rears you have driveshafts attached to each wheel and differentials to link together and adjust the power, the fancy electronics helps apply the power correctly and helps traction with the brakes. Its a 4wd!

So its the same as a RRS or FFRR or Disco??

RE: Is The Evoque a 'Proper' 4x4? - bell-auto-services - 07-02-2012 11:16pm

Its a real 4x4 no matter whats said, as long at the 4 wheels can be driven mechaniclly its a 4x4. It does not matter how they are all connected it just matters that they are.

Regarding its capabilitys, I have attached a couple of sneek pictures (which are really not for public yet) that some of will be used in a mag artical for the RRE which is out soon and I can assure you first hand the car it not a toy in any shape or form as some non RRE owners may think Thumbs Up

Pete

RE: Is The Evoque a 'Proper' 4x4? - RacingSnake - 07-02-2012 11:16pm

(07-02-2012 11:16pm)THEMACS Wrote:  So its the same as a RRS or FFRR or Disco??
No, no and no.
Same as freelander though.

RE: Is The Evoque a 'Proper' 4x4? - broady43 - 07-02-2012 11:21pm

(07-02-2012 11:06pm)THEMACS Wrote:  I have just watched a video on Youtube where an american review site has tested a RRS against an Evoque. It was interesting to watch. ANyway the RRS was better in the snowy conditions, as expected, but at the end one of the reviewers said that the Evoque was basically a Front Wheel Drive car and used some electronics to send drive to the back as opposed to being a proper 4wd vehicleConfused Not sure about that and I am not suitably informed to know one way or another!

I thought it was a Real 4wd vehicle

I had an old landrover 4x4 with no electronics,it was ok on muddy ruts but in the snow it was useless.Nowadays four wheel drives with electronics are far better.

RE: Is The Evoque a 'Proper' 4x4? - THEMACS - 07-02-2012 11:25pm

(07-02-2012 11:16pm)Cedric Wrote:  Can you post us the link? I found that most review sites that claim it's not a proper 4x4, don't actually test it offroad.

Have a look at this video if you have doubts.

Winter Testing, Arjeplog

Don't know how to post links, but it was posted today on YouTube and is titled '2012 RRS vs Evoque Colorado snow - worthy'

RE: Is The Evoque a 'Proper' 4x4? - bell-auto-services - 07-02-2012 11:29pm

link here It does show that they both dont understand how 4 wheel drive system works on the Evoque when you have a wheel spinning Smile