babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
LR to open factory in China - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Official LR Announcements (/Forum-Official-LR-Announcements)
+--- Thread: LR to open factory in China (/Thread-LR-to-open-factory-in-China)

Pages: 1 2

LR to open factory in China - XFullFatTim - 20-10-2011 08:04pm

In the weekly motoring magazines there is an item that Land Rover has signed up to a joint venture with Chery (??) in China to build
Land Rovers for the local Chinese market in China. That should free up some capacity for the rest of the world's production at Halewood.
http://www.cheryinternational.com/

RE: LR to open factory in China - The Valeter - 20-10-2011 08:12pm

(20-10-2011 08:04pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  In the weekly motoring magazines there is an item that Land Rover has signed up to a joint venture with Chery (??) in China to build
Land Rovers for the local Chinese market in China. That should free up some capacity for the rest of the world's production at Halewood.
http://www.cheryinternational.com/

Some may ask why a joint venture = reason you won't get production in China if you don't do a joint venture!

RE: LR to open factory in China - vinda - 27-10-2011 02:36am

(20-10-2011 08:12pm)The Valeter Wrote:  Some may ask why a joint venture = reason you won't get production in China if you don't do a joint venture!

Very true.

RE: LR to open factory in China - DynamicRRV - 27-10-2011 09:00am

True

RE: LR to open factory in China - QUEEVO - 10-05-2012 01:22pm

Have to note that I think I'm pleased to have ordered mine at this point in time, being assured of an "official" UK build. I think there would be every chance that Australian deliveries could come out of Halewood too...

RE: LR to open factory in China - Straydox - 10-05-2012 01:27pm

Doing a JV would make a lot of sense:

1) Shared risk
2) Local market expertise
3) Established supply chain
3) Established dealer network and infrastructure

To name but 4...

RE: LR to open factory in China - jitenc - 10-05-2012 01:33pm

+ local jobs...

RE: LR to open factory in China - Kimv - 10-05-2012 02:35pm

Maybe more a matter of keeping Halewood to preserve a minimum of British identity and produce a minimum of cars with the minimum of expensive workers and producing the maximum of cars with the cheapest workers in the world in China. That's what they all do now...

RE: LR to open factory in China - Straydox - 10-05-2012 02:51pm

(10-05-2012 02:35pm)Kimv Wrote:  Maybe more a matter of keeping Halewood to preserve a minimum of British identity and produce a minimum of cars with the minimum of expensive workers and producing the maximum of cars with the cheapest workers in the world in China. That's what they all do now...

To be fair that's all changed in the last couple of years because of the global rise in the cost of energy - now the real cost savings are to be had by producing the goods as close as possible to the point of consumption and avoid import duties too. JLR will be looking at the massive and rapidly growing local market for expansion.

RE: LR to open factory in China - PhilSkill - 10-05-2012 03:11pm

I'd agree a Chinese factory will likely be for selling to the Chinese and Far East, a very large expanding market, Apparently recent studies have shown Shanghai/Hong Kong has the most highly educated children in the world.
China The Cleverest Country?