babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
DPF smells and white smoke. - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Technical (/Forum-Technical)
+--- Thread: DPF smells and white smoke. (/Thread-DPF-smells-and-white-smoke)

DPF smells and white smoke. - RichRR - 18-03-2018 04:20pm

I have been suffering for a few months now with the DPF regeneration happening at least once a week and the strong burning smell coming in to the car. The dealer suggests i go for a long drive, which i have done and then experienced the same problems on shorter drives the next day. Apparently this is how modern diesels with the Add blue feature work. This car is 6 months old and is my little luxury in life and after up grading from a perfect older 64 plate diesel evoque (pre add blue) is now is one of the worst purchases i have ever made. I have parked the car a number of times and seem white stinking smoke coming from the exhaust without the engine running.

I see other people complaining of this on the forums but should you really have to sit in the smell of a bonfire once a week in such a luxury brand car? I will hand this car back as soon as I can arrange a refund with the dealer/RangeRover.

If, as the dealer suggests, this is how modern Diesels work, i would be interested to hear if anyone else experiencing this DPF regeneration on such a smelly and regular basis?

RE: DPF smells and white smoke. - bee - 18-03-2018 04:51pm

(18-03-2018 04:20pm)RichRR Wrote:  I have been suffering for a few months now with the DPF regeneration happening at least once a week and the strong burning smell coming in to the car. The dealer suggests i go for a long drive, which i have done and then experienced the same problems on shorter drives the next day. Apparently this is how modern diesels with the Add blue feature work. This car is 6 months old and is my little luxury in life and after up grading from a perfect older 64 plate diesel evoque (pre add blue) is now is one of the worst purchases i have ever made. I have parked the car a number of times and seem white stinking smoke coming from the exhaust without the engine running.

I see other people complaining of this on the forums but should you really have to sit in the smell of a bonfire once a week in such a luxury brand car? I will hand this car back as soon as I can arrange a refund with the dealer/RangeRover.

If, as the dealer suggests, this is how modern Diesels work, i would be interested to hear if anyone else experiencing this DPF regeneration on such a smelly and regular basis?

I'm sticking with my 14 evo, non of these problems. Confused

RE: DPF smells and white smoke. - PhilSkill - 19-03-2018 02:52pm

Whilst you can get a bit of smell when you exit the car, I wouldn't continually expect this level of smoke. Certainly worth checking something hasn't got onto the exhaust, like a plastic bag blown under the car for example..

RE: DPF smells and white smoke. - RichRR - 22-03-2018 08:55am

(19-03-2018 02:52pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Whilst you can get a bit of smell when you exit the car, I wouldn't continually expect this level of smoke. Certainly worth checking something hasn't got onto the exhaust, like a plastic bag blown under the car for example..

the exhaust has been checked by the dealer and they could not find anything.

RE: DPF smells and white smoke. - ray1703 - 17-04-2018 08:37pm

the region will only happen at a set speed usually over 40 mph water temp has to be at normal range and usually in 4th or more gears best thing is have a nice run down a motorway where you can keep your speed up as the region stops as you slow down say at junctions a 15 mile run should be enough to burn it off depending how much its blocked the only other way is the dealer can do a forced regeneration

RE: DPF smells and white smoke. - RichRR - 17-04-2018 09:03pm

i have taken it down the motorway but the regen happens every few hundered miles so does happen around town too.

RE: DPF smells and white smoke. - PhilSkill - 18-04-2018 09:38am

Every few hundred miles is normal for the Ingenium it was about 4-500 for the Ford... but is it still giving white smoke?

RE: DPF smells and white smoke. - Koidream - 18-04-2018 10:31am

Maybe this is helpfull...?