babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
EPB re-applied - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Maintenance (/Forum-Maintenance)
+--- Thread: EPB re-applied (/Thread-EPB-re-applied)

Pages: 1 2

EPB re-applied - Thunder4219 - 04-09-2017 05:34pm

Hi everyone!
I was in the process of changing the rear pads on my 2012 RRE when the EPB reactivated. I had put the EPB into maintenance mode and was just about to reinstall the new pads when the ignition shut off (I assume a time delay to save the battery) and when this happened the EPB re-activated and pushed the cylinder our of the caliper. The dash now displaces "park brake requires recalibration". My huge issue is how to get the cylinder back into the caliper. I have tried lining it up but it won't push back in and there isn't enough room to get the pusher in to use on the piston until it is partly back in place. Does it need to be twisted? I have done the brakes before without a problem but this time is a nightmare as the car is now stuck in my driveway. Any advise is very much appreciated!

RE: EPB re-applied - Steve D - 04-09-2017 08:22pm

I read somewhere about someone who released the epb for pad replacement by removing the wire, removing the bolt(s) on the electric motor and unscrewing it. Could you not do the same and then with the bleed screw open you may be able to push the piston back in?

RE: EPB re-applied - PhilSkill - 04-09-2017 08:58pm

I found this from an earlier conversation...

Quote:For those of you that have the piston come out of the cylinder don't worry. Simply remove the piston, clamp the rubber brake pipe to stop more brake fluid entering the chamber, Remove the black outer seal , clean the excessive brake fluid up, clean the cylinder making sure there's no dirt on it, clean the inner piston, ensure the cog remains on the centre screw shaft, screw the cog down to the lowest position, notice the cag is keyed for the inner cylinder and gently squeeze the piston back into the cylinder. If you get it all right you'll notice the piston goes all the way into the chamber. Once all the brakes have been put back together try EPB first and make sure you put the plug back first if you removed it. Once you are happy the EPB brake works fine you can then perform the brake bleeding using the normal process. Although at first it looks like a nightmare of a job it isn't really and with a bit of patients you'll crack it.

Sounds like you didn't put it into brake maintenance mode correctly, and you didn't turn off the ignition before starting work.

Not much help now but here's My video of Putting car in Brake Maintenance mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMExhuL3dII&feature=youtu.be

RE: EPB re-applied - Thunder4219 - 05-09-2017 04:38am

Hi PhilSkill,
My mistake, I think, was that I left the ignition on. When the car did the auto shutoff of the ignition (likely to save the battery) was when the EPB reactivated! Thanks again for the assistance and advice, much appreciated. Cheers

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

RE: EPB re-applied - PhilSkill - 05-09-2017 09:50am

In brake maintenance mode, the EPB would not reactivate when the ignition goes off though,

It also retracts the EPB shaft so you can push the cylinder back without resistance.

Did you manage to get it all back together ok?

RE: EPB re-applied - Thunder4219 - 07-09-2017 03:28am

(05-09-2017 09:50am)PhilSkill Wrote:  In brake maintenance mode, the EPB would not reactivate when the ignition goes off though,

It also retracts the EPB shaft so you can push the cylinder back without resistance.

Did you manage to get it all back together ok?
Hi PhilSkill,
Well, here's my update. I removed the caliper from the car, and clamped the break hose, drained the fluid from the caliper, removed the piston and rubber boot and then screwed the EPB shaft all the way down, put the rubber boot back on the cylinder, reseated the boot, pushed the cylinder back, reinstalled the caliper with the new pads, bled the brakes and everything was back to normal! Then for the other side! I followed the instructions from the video perfectly but when the ignition goes off the EPB reactivated so it obviously isn't going into maintenance mode properly. But this time I got smart, once the EPB was disengaged I unplugged the motor on the caliper. This stopped the complete push out of the cylinder that happened on the other side. It still meant I had to screw in the EPB shaft but this time it was as simple as screwing the piston back in carefully rather than pushing. This only took a few minutes and all was good, brake job complete. Recalibration was done by applying the foot brake and park brake together. Everything back to normal and car running great. I would like to know why it won't go into maintenance mode though!?!? Any further thoughts?

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

RE: EPB re-applied - PhilSkill - 07-09-2017 12:16pm

Glad you got it all back together ok!

Are you pressing both the throttle fully into the carpet, and holding the EPB button down, and holding them down continuously, while you turn off the car and on again, and then keeping them pressed for 20-30 seconds until getting the "Bing" and the message "Park Brake Maintenance mode" on the screen, only then must you release them both.

I guess with an Auto, you could try in Park and in Neutral in case it makes a difference.

RE: EPB re-applied - grommit - 07-09-2017 08:04pm

(07-09-2017 12:16pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Glad you got it all back together ok!

Are you pressing both the throttle fully into the carpet, and holding the EPB button down, and holding them down continuously, while you turn off the car and on again, and then keeping them pressed for 20-30 seconds until getting the "Bing" and the message "Park Brake Maintenance mode" on the screen, only then must you release them both.

I guess with an Auto, you could try in Park and in Neutral in case it makes a difference.

Here is the info I followed, it took me a couple of go's as to start with i was pulling the epb switch up instead of pushing it down for it to work.

RE: EPB re-applied - Rectory 1 - 08-09-2017 08:23am

PhilSkil, Thunder4219 & Grommit
Thanks for your quick posts on the EPB saved me from a nightmare !!
The video plus the instructions together clarified the handbag dance

Thanks again
Rectory 1

RE: EPB re-applied - PhilSkill - 08-09-2017 09:38am

Thumbs Up