babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Fuel Tank Shield
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As stated in my previous thread, I bought the SD4 Puretech in 2012. Within 2 days of ownership I had the under carriage waxed professionally and again at the 5 year point.

On pre MOT inspection, my mate pointed out to me that the Fuel Tank Shield was deteriorating. Low and behold there was a couple of small chunks that started to come away in his hand. There was no rust anywhere else on the under carriage.

It appears the damage is done by surface water spraying up and down into the tank shield as there is a gap between the plastic fuel tank and the metal shield allowing for water to settle inside the shield. What Clown at LR thought this would be a good idea to design and fit this junk metal?

Anyhow, I have bought a New shield and drilled several additional water escape holes into the new shield. The shield itself will be waxed inside and out several times and then fitted.

As we have never had any bother with this Evoque (only ever one warranty work carried out - door check strap) it would be in my wife's interest to keep the car for at least another 5 years and then hopefully sell it on without it being a rust bucket.

Would be interested to know if anyone else has changed their Fuel tank shield during the time they have had their car.
Had mine replaced couple of months since its a 13 plate. Had it fitted by a inde.
Yes this is quite common it's a terrible material to use under the car, new shields should now be treated steel. Mine is rusty but not breaking up...yet, sprayed it with ACF50 last year, and the gap between the tank to shield was full of mud.
Further to my Fuel Tank Shield replacement, I have attached a few photos for those interested in viewing the state of a shield that is 8 years old, 55k on the clock and garaged day and night when car isn't being used.

The new shield has been treated on both sides with several coats of a rubberised solution, Granville Underbody Seal Schutz.

Total cost.....£310 including shield and sealant.

If anyone has a link to making a complaint to LR about this then it would be appreciated if you could forward it to me.

Happy Motoring.

[Image: 21a52d4fe10cbb901.md.jpg]
[Image: 3533d0666c57d901d.md.jpg]
[Image: 46b109bb7c59a4d71.md.jpg]
[Image: 57ccacadbe6752fa9.md.jpg]
[Image: 62dfa4861e4e42dc1.md.jpg]
[Image: 7e31a9d04bdfdb930.md.jpg]
[Image: 861092a3fac313ea0.md.jpg]
[Image: 9e82fa6e1b1360c2c.md.jpg]
Reference URL's