babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Motor sheared off steering rack on 2014 Pure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Last Tuesday morning my wife went out to the Evoque to travel to work, on starting the car and moving it about 10ft there was a complete loss of steering and a terrible grinding sound. The car was recovered to a well known and respected indy garage up this way. They phoned on Friday to say that the motor had completely sheared off the steering rack and the repair cost would be £2,600. The car is 4 and a half years old with 60,000 miles on the clock we have owned it since new and for the first three years it was serviced and maintained by a main dealer in Edinburgh, the 4th yearly service was carried out at the indy garage it was recovered to. We contacted LR customer services to see what they could do. We have spoken to three mechanics now, one a well respected LR mechanic and all have stated that this should never happen to a car of only 4 years old and it must be a manufacturing fault. We have now had the vehicle moved to a main dealer on the advice of customer service so they can look at it as they would not take the report of the indy garage.
Has anybody else had this problem if so did LR admit to it being a manufacturing fault. We have not had the report from the dealer yet, they said they could not look at it till Thursday even though they know whats wrong with it.

We are obviously going to try to get them to admit the problem lies with them, and yes we are prepared for a fight with them if needs be. We have had dealing with them before when the oil cooler went on our Defender that was just over three years old we did get them to pay some of the repair bill for that, so we know what to expect.
What is more of a concern is that we have been told that it could of sheared off at anytime, would have been a bit scary if it had happened whilst doing 70mph on the motorway. Any info/ammunition anybody may have would be gratefully recieved
Uncanny!
We have had exactly the same major issue yesterday. Moved 10 feet, steering locked horrendous noises , RAC called, recovered to local Indy, "Motor has sheered from steering rack". £2700 to fix. I am now having it re-recovered to Land Rover main dealer and have already contacted JLR UK.
Mileage and age (64 plate) very similar to yours, even more scary is that it originally came from Scotland!
Very interesting
We wont be able to proceed till Thursday that's when the garage say they can look at it, they have booked a two hours slot to diagnose the problem, even though they have been told what it is by the indy garage and ourselves
We have heard of two other vehicles yours being the third and ours the forth that have had the same major fault in the past couple months all roughly the same age. Will be interesting to see how JLR respond to this. Will keep you informed
Hi, did you get any feedback from JLR?
StanB - What is wrong with cars that come from Scotland? In my experience dealers in the south pay a premium for cars that come south from Scotland because they are generally in much better condition bodily than cars from the south that get parking dinged and scratched in the more concentrated traffic of the south........
(15-12-2018 11:54am)stanb Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, did you get any feedback from JLR?

Hi
We have got the usual good will gesture from J/LR of a £1,000 contribution towards the repairs, this is just a standard offer they make when major repairs are required to a major component that fails too early in life, such as when the oil cooler went on my defender at only just over three years old.
They point blankly refuse to admit it is a manufacturing problem, the attitude is as expected appalling from a company that has to rely on brand loyalty to survive. We have contacted BBC Watchdog in the hope they may take up the story as we feel they are putting people in danger. We still have not found a mechanic that would go against it being a manufacturing fault, even the attitude of the Dealers changed to a lot more helpful when we started questioning how the bolts could fail so easily, they know themselves that its a manufacturing fault but obviously wont admit it.
Not impressed with J/LR we have had 3 cars off them over the last 8 years all have required a major repair to be done due to a major component failure to early in life, costing a couple of thousand to get fixed, the defenders have now gone and replaced with a pick up which is a so much better reliable and civilised vehicle compared to the Defender and as soon as possible now the Evoque will be going. No more J/LR for us.
When you read what is being written about terrible customer treatment by JLR and how many multi-time purchasers they are loosing you really wonder how they stay in business. It appears that considerate treatment instead of off hand treatment “oh sir they are all like that” “Oh we have never heard of that problem before” etc does get through their thick skulls that if they have a modicum of consideration and sympathy it pays off in the form of happy customers who return time and time again to buy the product.
I traded in my perfectly good totally reliable 2015.5 RRS HSE Dynamic because nobody high up in JLR would put in writing that the company would guarantee more than a contribution should the well known crank issue with the SDv6 engine happen to my car that had a full main dealer service history with 2 more years to run on the pre-paid service contract............ the extended warranty specifically excludes failures due to design faults and the crank issue is admitted by JLR to be a design fault! So when the factory warranty ran out in March this year I replaced the car with a BMW product after waiting 2 years for my preferred purchase P400E RRS failed to go on sale in time and when it did go on sale dealers had to impound any cars delivered to them because of technical problems with the hybrid system........... I also had a deposit on an IPace but again after patiently waiting three years for it to make to the dealers I gave up and got my deposit back. I now have a deposit on a “New Defender” but I want one with the V6 petrol plug in hybrid my dealer talks about, not a gutless noisy and weedy 2.0ltre 4 cylinder petrol powered thing that would struggle to get out of a muddy puddle. I guess i’ll Be waiting a long time - good job my Mini Countryman is so well built and finished as I might have to keep longer than I planned! And my 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 will have go a few years more giving 100% reliability mechanically despite all the mistreatment I give it.
Following JLRs lack of a sensible reply:
Car recovered to Farnell LR at my cost under the instruction of LR
I instructed them to get on with it as we needed the car back
Informed that JLR WILL NOT support the work as the last service (Jan 201Cool was not carried out by a main dealer and we never bought it from a JLR main dealer (Evans Hallshaw) and there is not a design or manufacture fault.
I requested the old part so I could have it analysed by a metallurgist (I work with Structural Aluminium).
The bill from Farnell is £3693 (£1000 more than independent who would have had to take it to LR for programming – which was included in their quote)
Went to collect vehicle. Told we couldn’t take the old part as it was a “surcharge product” and JLR wanted it back.
Ended up paying an additional £500 surcharge to get the parts – I wasn’t giving in!
Started trawling the internet for electric power steering faults.
Came across a problem Tesla had with the Model S
1st page into a post that’s my electric motor!
3 pages in I spotted my steering rack!
Part code for Tesla – “Land Rover EL32-3200-DB 7818 974 389” (you can see it on one of the photos)
Part code for my rack – “Land Rover EL32-3200-DB 7818 974 387” (mine is pictured below)
Turns out Tesla completed a worldwide 123,000 vehicle recall on the Model S in March this year (201Cool due to corrosion of the bolts holding the steering rack and motor together.
The part is manufactured for Land Rover by zf lenksysteme gmbh
And JLR know nothing about it!???????!!!!!
Links that may be useful
Tesla motor clubs forum post: (Thank you “Brass Guy”)
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/...rt.100951/
Tesla Recall
https://www.tesla.com/support/models-ste...olt-recall
DVSA (VOSA) Tesla Model S recall
https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls...=Blank&tx=
Below are a couple of my photos showing the parts from our Evoque. I also have a video showing that the sheered bolts are aluminium.
Finally, Maybe the Scotland connection is relevant…… Tesla makes reference to cold climates and road salt!
I’m ready for the fight as JLR Customer Experience Centre has not come back to me......again!
I have tried posting photos but I'm struggling off the iPad.... Will sort on PC tomorrow.
If you're really sure, spread the word... worldwide.
It won't change their bad attitude towards customers, but it will give them something to think about.

JLR (especially the dealer and the way you are treated) is really the saddest story in my 40 years of automotive history...
Wow
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's