Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
tag-a-long tour trip in the Blue Mountains
Mark^^

tag-a-long tour trip in the Blue Mountains

Hi guys, I have decided that I want to play more with my car in an off road environment and so I have booked in to do a tag-a-long tour with http://www.simmosoffroadtours.com/tagalong.html

I have not been on this yet, but I am booked in on the to Glow Worm Tunnels, Newnes Plateau & Gardens of Stone National Park on Sunday 27th July 2014.

This some of the info from Greg who runs the Tag-a-long trip.

The tour features spectacular sandstone pagoda landscapes, interesting Australian history, diverse native flora and fauna, and of course some fun four wheel driving!

I’ve found some challenging but fun 4WD tracks to explore on this trip – with a variety of track options ranging from “Easy” to “Medium” to “Difficult” – something for everyone!

If all goes well then later in the year I might even book in for the Dunn’s Swamp & Goulburn River National Park Camping trip on the 20th to 23rd December 2014.

I will be sure to follow up this thread with info and photos once I am back from this trip, but wanted to put up a notice early in case anyone else in the Sydney/Canberra etc. area is also interested.

Fuji White Dynamic SD4 – auto, with Energy interior and pano roof.
10-07-2014 10:55am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartbreakRidge

RE: tag-a-long tour trip in the Blue Mountains

Sounds wonderful! Looking forward to your report and pictures!

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
10-07-2014 08:19pm
Mark^^

Last weekend I went on the 4x4 Tag-a-long trip to Glow Worm Tunnel, Lost City in the Gardens of Stone National Park and the Newnes State Forrest in the Blue Mountains in NSW and it was great. There was the tour leader Simmo in his Prado, a Pajero and Lexus truck plus me in the Evoque. I of course took off some of my trim to ensure that my recovery points were exposed in case of need

Along the trails we took, there were parts that required higher clearance than I have in the Evoque but Simmo had side tracks for me to negotiate. It was great fun the cost was $150 + $15 per adult passenger which included BBQ lunch and Simmos experience as a guide and 4x4 driver.

Here are some photos:

[Image: DSC01089_zps948c475b.jpg]

[Image: DSC01069_zpsc536acde.jpg]

[Image: DSC01068_zpsd8ba7753.jpg]

[Image: DSC01083_zpsf8b5d484.jpg]

[Image: DSC01215_zpsa4a57f3f.jpg]

[Image: DSC01168_zps4c06f4a5.jpg]

It was great fun and I am going to do another one in September on 21 September to Sofala and Hill End well know gold mining areas of NSW.
Simmo has told me "My Hill End/Sofala trips are generally "Easy" (easier than last week) and are well suited for your class of vehicle - but I always have a few optional tracks for those that want to have a bit more fun!"

A couple of friends with Jeeps are interested and if any Evoque folk are interested let me know and I can help put together a weekend of fun.

03-08-2014 01:28pm
Mark^^

Here is an update on the tour on the 21st.

I, and a few other friends will most likely be staying at

http://www.sofala.net.au/Home.aspx

And info from Simmo who runs the tag-a-long trip:

Here’s some important information for the upcoming 4WD Tag-a-Long Tour – exploring the Hill End region.

This Tag-a-Long Tour is rated “Easy” to “Medium” and is well suited for stock standard 4WD and AWD vehicles, with plenty of optional tracks along the way for a bit of fun!

This will be a good mixture of bush roads/4WD tracks, great scenery, and a little bit of Aussie history thrown in there too.

We will be meet at the Bathurst Visitor Information Centre, Sydney Road, Bathurst, by 9.00 am on Sunday 21st September. If you are coming in to Bathurst, from Sydney, it is on your left hand side, adjacent to soccer fields, and opposite the Bathurst Showground.

Please have a full tank of fuel, drinking water/medicines/snacks etc, and ensure your vehicle is mechanically sound. Check your vehicle handbook if you need to; and know how to engage 4WD or AWD, and engage any other driver assist technologies (where available).

Importantly, please ensure you can locate your vehicle’s recovery/tow hooks at the front and back of your car, and bring any recovery gear you may have (snatch straps, rated bow-shackles etc) - just in case you have to be “recovered” or towed. This is unlikely, but possible; depending on what optional tracks you may attempt on the day.

Please ensure your tyres are in sound condition and are properly inflated (including the spare). Bring a tyre pressure gauge with you (and your portable air compressor if you happen to own one).
If you have a UHF radio in your vehicle, fantastic, but I’ll have some handheld radios for those that don’t (UHF 15). Please don’t be bashful, jump on the radio and ask questions/call out if you are unsure of anything or have something to say. No such thing as a dumb question and somebody else in the convoy make have a bloody good answer for us all!

We will reach the township of Hill End about lunch time. You may want to grab some lunch at the historic Royal Hotel, grab a bite from the General Store opposite, or simply bring your own lunch/snacks on the day if you prefer.

Whilst at Hill End, we’ll also visit the National Parks & Wildlife Information Centre, and Hill End Museum.

We’ll spend the rest of the afternoon exploring some pretty fun 4WD tracks down by the Turon River, returning to Bathurst in the late afternoon, about 5.30pm or so.

The cost of this Tag-a-Long Tour is $150 per vehicle, which includes NSW National Parks fees and entrance fees to the Hill End museum.

07-08-2014 11:24am
BA74

Great to see the Evoque getting used for some fun stuff!

Gone - Range Rover Evoque - Si4 Pure - 5 Door Fuji White
10-08-2014 12:26am