Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
start/stop not working
Eric_H

start/stop not working

Hi,

On my Evoque 2.2Td4 the start/stop system is not working. Have the car for 2 month now but nevver did work. Battery seems fine; most runs are ca 50miles each so I do not drive much short distance. So I would expect temperature is no issue, and battery must be charged by end of my trip. I heard there would be a sceond battery which could be the issue?

regards
Eric
05-07-2018 12:01pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Steve D

RE: start/stop not working

How old is the battery that is on there and is it the correct battery for a stop start model?

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
05-07-2018 01:12pm
PhilSkill

There may be a second battery to the left of the main battery. But if this is disconnected i'm sure it says Eco Not Available or something similar on the dash, but maybe if just weak this would not cause the error. Not sure if all models have this battery though.

As Steve says check the specs of the main Battery, but generally mine rarely works in winter if at all, but summer it comes in every now and then, just random enough to make me turn it off as without consistency it's just a pain.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
05-07-2018 04:26pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

IIRC it won’t work with ambient temperatures over 27c, it might even be lower - it will say what it is in the manual. Same in cold weather it won’t work below 5c - all to do with the extra load of heating and aircon on the battery when stopped I believe.
I assume that the Netherlands has been as hot as all of the UK this summer.

I have it only my new Plug In Hybrid but i’ve Used the petrol engine so little it rarely gets warmed up enough for the auto stop/start to work.......... especially as I try to run in electric mode in town.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
05-07-2018 08:51pm
Koidream

The start/ stop battery was replaces in mine because Start/ Stop wouldn't work.
After that Start/ stop worked for a couple of (random) times.
Next to all the other issues with this car, I gave up looking for a solution...

For a company celebrating 70 years, it is a real pain in the ...

BMW 315
BMW 518
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8D
BMW 320i
BMW R100RT
Triumph Spitfire 1500
Rover 623 Si
BMW 518i
Alfa Romeo 156 1.9JTD
VOLVO S60 D5
Range Rover Evoque TD4

[Image: 343895.png]
06-07-2018 06:27am
Eric_H

I will check but I'm quite sure it is still on it's first battery. (2011) But it starts fine also after week standing. Like in the morning temperatures since I have the car temperatures are between ca 10 and 20 degree. So I would say that would be perfect for have a working system. I have read that it could stop working at low or high tempratures. Eco on the dash also works when I switch ignition on. No error message.

I had a look if I could find a second battery but not seen yet... If it is a weak main battery I would have thought when I arrive at work (after ca 55miles motorway driving) battery would be charged enough; even when weak; to have the system working at the last couple of traffic lights?

Would the dianostic tool tell status of battery? I just ordered the iCarsoft LRII (I have also a Tdci + Td5 Defender)
regards
Eric
06-07-2018 07:08am
Koidream

More about the same issue.
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Eco-Stop-Start-problems

BMW 315
BMW 518
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8D
BMW 320i
BMW R100RT
Triumph Spitfire 1500
Rover 623 Si
BMW 518i
Alfa Romeo 156 1.9JTD
VOLVO S60 D5
Range Rover Evoque TD4

[Image: 343895.png]
06-07-2018 08:22am
jcarrot

(06-07-2018 07:08am)Eric_H Wrote:  I will check but I'm quite sure it is still on it's first battery. (2011) But it starts fine also after week standing. Like in the morning temperatures since I have the car temperatures are between ca 10 and 20 degree. So I would say that would be perfect for have a working system. I have read that it could stop working at low or high tempratures. Eco on the dash also works when I switch ignition on. No error message.

I had a look if I could find a second battery but not seen yet... If it is a weak main battery I would have thought when I arrive at work (after ca 55miles motorway driving) battery would be charged enough; even when weak; to have the system working at the last couple of traffic lights?

Would the dianostic tool tell status of battery? I just ordered the iCarsoft LRII (I have also a Tdci + Td5 Defender)
regards
Eric
Mine didn’t work for several months which I took to be because the battery was getting older, in the event it was a software problem solved by the dealer in a matter of minutes.
06-07-2018 09:31am
Steve D

(06-07-2018 07:08am)Eric_H Wrote:  I will check but I'm quite sure it is still on it's first battery. (2011) …..

Get it tested by all means but I'm pretty sure a 7 year old stop/start battery would have lost it's oomph by now. I wouldn't personally have a battery that old on one of these cars, even without stop start, after more than 5 years. They can start throwing up all sorts of fault codes when the battery starts getting old.

Look at it this way, if a new stop/start battery costs around 150 quid, you've only got about 20 quid's worth left in it and how much aggro would you have for that 20 quid if it went flat on you when you were out?

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
06-07-2018 12:25pm
Eric_H

Just to let you know. In meantime I changed the battery and now start/stop system is working again

thanks!
28-08-2018 11:52am